Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we land pick 7 (dangerous, I know) I think with an element of realism I can see the top end going like:

1. Ashcroft Bris
2. Cadman Norf
3. Wardlaw WCE
4. Tsatas GWS
5. Busslinger GCS
6. Sheezal Ess
7. Mackensie Haw
8. George/Humphrey/Clark/Phili Haw

Then ideally:
24 turns into Munkara

49. turns into Windsor

Rookie the second Windsor and Lawrence.
Pretty spot on mate with that top 8. I think we will get Mackenzie, GCS will definitely take another key position.

If Harley Reid was in this years draft he’d have to go close to No.1. Maybe just behind Ashcroft.

Cadman looks a star. Hope to hell Mackenzie lasts to our pick, time and class in spades.

Humphrey is hard to assess. Have seen a few games now. He’s no doubt got X factor, but he’s also a messy player. Basic skills let him down.

Was also impressed with Binns, Hollands and Anderson down back.

Last edited:

i saw the game differently to some of you guys, i thought Bailey Humphrey wasted so many inside 50's for Country it was frustrating, probably cost them the game, even his goal looked like a shank, see the difference when they finally moved Humphrey out and put in Harley Reid, nearly the match winning move.
That's how I saw it, Humphrey is exciting but if youre foot skills are that bad you wont get far in the AFL.

Hollands might've got the ball but his ball use was awful and made poor decisions.

what a cracking game. Lots of good talent and the much hyped top 6 did not disappoint. I just hope one drops to us. Would love Tsatas but not going to happen. McKenzie shows so much class and just may drop to us?

I thought Hollands was great and would suit us but not at pick 6/7 and wont be there at pick 24/25 either. Need a pick around 12 to 15.

Plenty of depth in the draft it seems. Excluding players not playing today I liked the look of: Binns, Konstanley, Hustwaite, Gruzeski, Sybowski, Burgiel. (excuse my spelling as too lazy to check)

BUT, how do we get pick one next year to pick up Harley Reid. Great game, versatile, tough, skilled...wow.
By finishing last

Pretty spot on mate with that top 8. I think we will get Mackenzie, GCS will definitely take another key position.

Sheezel ain't going past pick 4 mate.

Be shocked if North don't take him at two. Especially after today. Serious X-factor in the forward half.

Last edited:
Looking through other team's boards (while understanding completely that fans are nuffies and don't make the decisions) it seems we're the first club really into Mackenzie. Gold Coast fans would rather have a midfielder with forward or back capabilities (Humphrey, Hustwaite, Phillipou, Clark?) and no one on their board has even mentioned Cam. Essendon fans seem to like Clark more, but will have the choice of one of Wardlaw, Sheezel, Cadman, and Tsatas. It'll be an interesting watch over the next few weeks, hopefully Gold Coast prioritize needs (especially if they don't move Pick 7 on) and Essendon are content with their choice of the remaining fab 5.

One thing about Clark was that he was having a pretty poor game. Was burned a fair bit when running away from the centre and someone (often Hollands) just hacked it. And his reaction to that was to keep throwing himself at the game. Diving into the bottom of packs, tackling hard, backing into holes, bringing it to ground in marking contests. I wonder if that might end up as a positive for some recruiters who will have already seen his games where he accumulates and stays tidy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheezel ain't going past pick 4 mate.

Be shocked if North don't take him at two. Especially after today. Serious X-factor in the forward half.
Can’t see him going higher than Wardlaw or Tsatas. Would not be shocked if North take Cadman either, and if they don’t West Coast a huge chance to grab Cadman.

Can’t see him going higher than Wardlaw or Tsatas. Would not be shocked if North take Cadman either, and if they don’t West Coast a huge chance to grab Cadman.

You think he's jumped that high?

Everything I've read has a clear top 4. Ashcroft, Tsastas, Sheezel and Wardlaw.

I can see sides pausing on Wardlaw given concerns with his hammies. But I can't see sides in the top 4 passing on Tsastas for breakaway speed or Sheezel given his match winning traits and midfield upside.

I think North will be wrestling with those two.

You think he's jumped that high?

Everything I've read has a clear top 4. Ashcroft, Tsastas, Sheezel and Wardlaw.

I can see sides pausing on Wardlaw given concerns with his hammies. But I can't see sides in the top 4 passing on Tsastas for breakaway speed or Sheezel given his match winning traits and midfield upside.

I think North will be wrestling with those two.
Tsatas looked medium pace to me today. Nothing quick about him.

Tsatas looked medium pace to me today. Nothing quick about him.

Gee, that's interesting. I understood that to be what has him so highly rated.

Edit: I just read he reached the National final in 100m and 400m hurdles as a junior... maybe not at peak post a broken foot mate.

Last edited:
In terms of using his speed that was the worst I’ve seen from him but make no mistake he is very quick, 2.93 for the 20m and 8.21 for agility are very good numbers which are usually backed up in his playstyle.
Yeah not doubting the numbers Ed.
Just off the naked eye, I was expecting a bit more explosiveness and didn't see any of that today.

Yeah not doubting the numbers Ed.
Just off the naked eye, I was expecting a bit more explosiveness and didn't see any of that today.
So was I mate, wanted to see him use the assets he has which he struggled to do today for whatever reason. Not many of them did really it was a rather lack lustre game until the last quarter.

After today I rate Jefferson higher than I did previously. If he can fill out he'll be a gun. If we can get GCS pick 7 in a Bowes deal I'd be stoked with say Phillipou and Jefferson.

With our first there is no way we pick up someone who can’t kick! I predict either Macca, Mattaes or Jhye ….. whoever is still available and considering those that will likely be gone.

Last edited:
If we were looking for defender ( which we’re not I suppose) I thought James Van Es was impressive, Cam McKenzie was a bit underwhelming. Of the guys most likely to be around still at our first pick Id still have to say Humphrey, Clark and probably Holland. If Konstanty is still there at our second pick that would be a huge bonus .That’s just looking at midfielders Cadman obviously the best KPF .

Harley Reid is a scary scary prospect he could play afl tomorrow.

He'd go close to pick 1 this year. The word unreal is overused on this board by a particular poster but he is bloody unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back