Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair to Gold Coast, Bowes was showing really good signs before he got injured and was probably worth near his contract given the potential he showed.
I still think he has great potential when he gets fit to be honest. Everyone is worried about leg speed for some reason, footy smarts and toughness can make up for leg speed… just ask our coach

If we were looking for defender ( which we’re not I suppose) I thought James Van Es was impressive, Cam McKenzie was a bit underwhelming. Of the guys most likely to be around still at our first pick Id still have to say Humphrey, Clark and probably Holland. If Konstanty is still there at our second pick that would be a huge bonus .That’s just looking at midfielders Cadman obviously the best KPF .

Van Es made multiple costly mistakes in the second half.

On a side note his kicking action is reminiscent of Michael Johnson.

To be fair to Gold Coast, Bowes was showing really good signs before he got injured and was probably worth near his contract given the potential he showed.
I still think he has great potential when he gets fit to be honest. Everyone is worried about leg speed for some reason, footy smarts and toughness can make up for leg speed… just ask our coach

And he is an excellent kick.

I didn’t get to watch the game but by the write ups it sounds like Humphries is possibly a lot like Worpel.

Hopefully McKenzie is at our pick, if not the Clark, Hewett and Poo will be there

He doesn't play anything like Worpel IMO. He's quicker, more explosive, and is effective as a forward. He seems like a high impact per possession kind of player.

If Harley Reid was in this years draft he’d have to go close to No.1. Maybe just behind Ashcroft.

Cadman looks a star. Hope to hell Mackenzie lasts to our pick, time and class in spades.

Humphrey is hard to assess. Have seen a few games now. He’s no doubt got X factor, but he’s also a messy player. Basic skills let him down.

Was also impressed with Binns, Hollands and Anderson down back.
IMO Reid is better than Ashcroft. Reid never wastes the footy, makes great decisions and has more flexibility than Ashcroft. He'd be #1 this year and no one is close to taking the #1 off him next year.
Ashcroft disposal efficiency is average. He gets a lot of stats kicking the ball off the ground. Ashcroft can only play mid or high HF.

He doesn't play anything like Worpel IMO. He's quicker, more explosive, and is effective as a forward. He seems like a high impact per possession kind of player.
He could be that high impact per possession if he fixes his kicking. But as it stands I can’t see it currently. He has the physical attributes to break the game open. Just not the kicking.

Sheezel looks like the high impact player. With question marks over how much he will get the ball at the higher level. But every touch looks class.

IMO Reid is better than Ashcroft. Reid never wastes the footy, makes great decisions and has more flexibility than Ashcroft. He'd be #1 this year and no one is close to taking the #1 off him next year.
Ashcroft disposal efficiency is average. He gets a lot of stats kicking the ball off the ground. Ashcroft can only play mid or high HF.

Ashcroft is very over rated I believe.

Ashcroft DE 73% at NAB league 69% in the champs. CP 44% NAB 49% champs

Harley Reid DE 62% CP49% at NAB
DE 82% CP 34%

Stop with Ashcroft bashing the kid is a star. Reid also on the way to be being a star.

DE 82% CP 34%

Stop with Ashcroft bashing the kid is a star. Reid also on the way to be being a star.
exactly, theres a difference when prospects play in their draft year, the extra pressure to perform, i remember Daicos had a few calling him over rated last year which was odd at the time.

DE 82% CP 34%

Don't confuse someones opinion with bashing as I'm not bashing him at all. Ashcroft is a very good player. It's just my opinion that I like Reid better and I believe he has more upside.

I really liked the look of Finn Emile-Brennan yesterday. Though very skinny he just oozes class and I like the look of his running capacity as well.

I really liked the look of Finn Emile-Brennan yesterday. Though very skinny he just oozes class and I like the look of his running capacity as well.
Ever since I saw Finn play his debut game for Dandenong this year I thought the same. He probably doesn't get the kudos he deserves cause he plays down back. But his run and class out of D50 is great.

Players that caught my eye yesterday that I didn't know much about :

Hustwaithe - showed a lot of poise and balance in congestion. Faded out in the 2nd half.
Binns - kid will be a bargain if he goes for a pick in 20s.
Burgiel - looked good when he got possession but just didn't seem to get a lot of it.

Cooper Harvey went alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players that caught my eye yesterday that I didn't know much about :

Hustwaithe - showed a lot of poise and balance in congestion. Faded out in the 2nd half.
Binns - kid will be a bargain if he goes for a pick in 20s.
Burgiel - looked good when he got possession but just didn't seem to get a lot of it.

Cooper Harvey went alright.
Liked all their games too. Hustwaithe was great in traffic in the first half, made some good clean decision…but tired and slowed down.

Binns just looks a really neat player who finds space.

Harvey has some of the old man’s grunt. Was more than handy in the second half.

I am extremely bullish on Cadman becoming a star. His aggression and athleticism makes him such a good prospect. If I was North, I'd take him at pick 1.
He's a star in the making. Not only is he athletic and good in the air, his ground ball work is great as well. He's climbing into the top 3 very quickly.
1. Ashcroft
2. Sheezel
3. Cadman

Looking at previous drafts over the past 5 or so years it's really close as to whether or not you'd be better off with 2 & 13 or 6 & 7.

I don't think you could really do too wrong with either pair of picks. So really comes down to how keen we'd be to get one of those players who won't be there at 6 or 7.

Watching Mackenzie play, and based on his write-ups from the resident draft watchers, it seems to me like he'd be a perfect complimentary midfielder.

He not dominating possession, but he's doing the team things, and using it really well when he did get it.

He reminds me of Mundy when he first moved into the midfield - not prolific, but a really good user that doesn't waste the ball.

Watching Mackenzie play, and based on his write-ups from the resident draft watchers, it seems to me like he'd be a perfect complimentary midfielder.

He not dominating possession, but he's doing the team things, and using it really well when he did get it.

He reminds me of Mundy when he first moved into the midfield - not prolific, but a really good user that doesn't waste the ball.
Fair assumption.

Tho he has so much talent on top of this, he just finds a way to know where the ball is going and reads the play better than anyone else. He is a genuine accumulator aswell, just hasn't got that chance yet, when he does he is a star (usually at NAB level).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back