Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After today I rate Jefferson higher than I did previously. If he can fill out he'll be a gun. If we can get GCS pick 7 in a Bowes deal I'd be stoked with say Phillipou and Jefferson.
Given that we have Lawrence this year and McCabe, who looks like he'd play his best football in the AFL as a centre-half-forward, coming through next year, I'm not sure if we'd choose Jefferson. Having said that, if he is available and we have the seventh overall pick, he appears to be a great option with a lot of potential.

I thought McKenzie was quite unimpressive today but to be fair it’s the only game of the c’ships I’ve seen . I thought Humphrey Clark and Hollands were all better .
It's fascinating that we all seem to have seen today's game differently.

What Mackenzie did today really impressed me and I saw what others had been saying about him recently. Looks absolute class.

On the other hand I was really dissapointed in Clark and Humphrey but perhaps my expectations of those 2 were a lot higher than Mackenzie.

I thought McKenzie was quite unimpressive today but to be fair it’s the only game of the c’ships I’ve seen . I thought Humphrey Clark and Hollands were all better .
I was unable to watch today's game, so I can't comment. But if Mackenzie was having a bad day, I'd blame Tsatas. If Clark also had a bad day, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. Don't judge them solely on their performances in this game. Mackenzie and Clark are excellent players and have participated in some outstanding games in the NAB League and the National Championships this year. I rank Mackenzie just ahead of Clark as he has a better burst of pace around stoppages and seems to have a more composed game. I would also say that he exudes more natural talent. Nevertheless, nobody can rival Clark for his hunger for the ball and his desire to win. With all of that said, whoever we take, I believe we have found another A-grade midfielder to join Ward and Newcombe if we select either of those two or Mattaes Phillipou.

Last edited:
Believe it is on fox footy at 12:30
Is
I was unable to watch today's game, so I can't comment. But if Mackenzie was having a bad day, I'd blame Tsatas. If Clark also had a bad day, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. Don't judge them solely on their performances in this game. Mackenzie and Clark are excellent players and have participated in some outstanding games in the NAB League and the National Championships this year. I rank Mackenzie just ahead of Clark as he has a better burst of pace around stoppages and seems to have a more composed game. I would also say that he exudes more natural talent. Nevertheless, nobody can rival Clark for his hunger for the ball and his desire to win. With all of that said, whoever we take, I believe we have found another A-grade midfielder to join Ward and Newcombe if we select either of those two or Mattaes Phillipou.
Blame Tsatstas? What?

You think he's jumped that high?

Everything I've read has a clear top 4. Ashcroft, Tsastas, Sheezel and Wardlaw.

I can see sides pausing on Wardlaw given concerns with his hammies. But I can't see sides in the top 4 passing on Tsastas for breakaway speed or Sheezel given his match winning traits and midfield upside.

I think North will be wrestling with those two.
I think Cadman will be a star, and West Coast will love a key forward to take over from JK and Darling is getting on aswell. If they can put Cadman up front with Oscar Allan, then they are set up forward.

I think Cadman will be a star, and West Coast will love a key forward to take over from JK and Darling is getting on aswell. If they can put Cadman up front with Oscar Allan, then they are set up forward.

Yeah, but their midfield is all sorts of ****ed... I can't think of one young kid they could build around...

Midfield is key and they do have a number of years left of Darling with Allen.

I'd be shocked if they pass up Wadlaw, Sheezle or Tsastas... but I can see why they might trade pick 2 and grab Hewett and another high end pick.

I guess it's similar to us, with Lewis and Gunston, would you be taking Cadman over Wardlaw, Sheezle or Tsastas?

Not to mention we have Newcombe and Ward who are miles ahead of any young mid Eagles have.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the game today maybe not the absolute highest standard but quick and tough - most of these players will have great to decent careers I think. My top 10 for hawthorn would be Ashcroft Sheezel wardlaw cadman Humphrey tsatas Jefferson Mackenzie philippou clark. If we can get suns pick 7 I would be happy with any 2 of that group although a mid and something else ideally. One exception I would love 2 of cadman Jefferson and Humphrey I think Bailey could be anything. For our second round pick really keen on konstanty, hotton or binns

Last edited:
Watched a replay last night . I like Humphrey's power/explosiveness but his kicking would be a huge concern.
Pretty comfortable that we will get a very good player at our pick , be nice to nab another higher pick if we can.

I thought Cadman was super impressive . First time Ive seen him , if you had a very high pick I think you would take him in a heartbeat

For sure can’t judge a player on one game it was a fantastic watch yesterday and to be honest all the players that have been spoken about being in our 1st round range I’d be stoked if we picked any of those guys up . The mail on BF seems year after year to be pretty much on the money as far as the draft goes however one kid called James Van Es played at fullback for VC I’m suprised he hasn’t been in conversations he looked very impressive in a May / Weitering type mould I thought .

If GCS are offering Pick 7 and Bowes we need to strike. This is a deal we have to do.

Hunt from Melbourne also available as a free agent. Get him in. Costs us nothing.
Offering for what in return? GC would be insane to offer up pick 7 and Bowes just for a salary dump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Offering for what in return? GC would be insane to offer up pick 7 and Bowes just for a salary dump.
Apparently, that is exactly what Gold Coast are offering.

Sounds crazy, I know...

Apparently, that is exactly what Gold Coast are offering.

Sounds crazy, I know...
Do they need points for academy kids or something, that maybe we give up a host of lower picks? Sounds like a silly season hypothetical to me.

Do they need points for academy kids or something, that maybe we give up a host of lower picks? Sounds like a silly season hypothetical to me.
It came via the media, though, not here...

The AFL did sign off on these types of trades - but re. points, apparently GCS have a few high end academy picks next year, so need points then.

Future 3rd?!? 😉

Yeah, but their midfield is all sorts of *ed... I can't think of one young kid they could build around...

Midfield is key and they do have a number of years left of Darling with Allen.

I'd be shocked if they pass up Wadlaw, Sheezle or Tsastas... but I can see why they might trade pick 2 and grab Hewett and another high end pick.

I guess it's similar to us, with Lewis and Gunston, would you be taking Cadman over Wardlaw, Sheezle or Tsastas?

Not to mention we have Newcombe and Ward who are miles ahead of any young mid Eagles have.
Agree, I would take Wardlaw or Sheezle, but I think clubs get fascinated about big key forwards.

Word is he's on 1.6 million over the next 2 years, that's a whole lot of list mess they need to clean up when they have King, Anderson and Rowell to sign up.
I've tried to stretch my mind into accepting that a 'reasonable' player could be on such amounts, and I just can't do it.

Which doesn't mean it can't be true, of course...just that my current judgements on the incompetence of the list managers of the northern clubs need to be even further downgraded

I've tried to stretch my mind into accepting that a 'reasonable' player could be on such amounts, and I just can't do it.

Which doesn't mean it can't be true, of course...just that my current judgements on the incompetence of the list managers of the northern clubs need to be even further downgraded
5ca814401f89b22d8cd1e841735ec75b.png

Their last 5 trade periods are mind boggling bad.

Certainly some very average kicking skills on display yesterday.
Does Ashcroft get that many soft free kicks in every game?
I thought Long was better than Hotton or Konstanty.
Was impressed with Edmends and Binns, would welcome either of them to the Hawks.

I didn’t get to watch the game but by the write ups it sounds like Humphries is possibly a lot like Worpel.

Hopefully McKenzie is at our pick, if not the Clark, Hewett and Poo will be there

Without ruling out gross negligence and incompetence, it could be that he was on a heavily back-ended contract. Likely the Suns trying to kick the can down the road and maybe hoping Bowes would be worth those big bucks by the time those contract years rolled around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back