Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Number 22 in todays game, Will Lorenz is the great granson of Graham Arthur. Sheenhan reckons he will be a player of the future.

* Sorry unsure which forum to place this in.
I'm watching. He has Titchell ball poisoning. He seems to make wise choices when under pressure and is more of an attacking midfielder who could also play up front. He also just kicked a goal for Team Murphy. In his rankings for the 2023 draft, Davo has him at 17. But if he has a strong season, he could be our top pick in the coming draft, and he possesses the skills to become a future star for Hawthorn.

Last edited:
I'm watching. He has Titchell ball poisoning. He seems to make wise choices when under pressure and is more of an attacking midfielder who could also play up front. In his rankings for the 2023 draft, Davo has him at 17. But if he has a strong season, he could be our top pick in the coming draft, and he possesses the skills to become a future star for Hawthorn.
We also have Will McCabe in this game, i have not spotted him yet.

In general I was disappointed with the standard of kicking over the Vic Metro v Vic Country game. Humphrey for instance was really impressive in his attack on the ball, but once he got his hands on the ball his kicking let him down. Even his goal looked like he miskicked it. Reid was really impressive, even more so once I researched him and found out he isn't eligible until next year. I really liked how Gruzewski played. He took a heap of marks and looks like he could turn into an ideal Gunston replacement into the future.

In general I was disappointed with the standard of kicking over the Vic Metro v Vic Country game. Humphrey for instance was really impressive in his attack on the ball, but once he got his hands on the ball his kicking let him down. Even his goal looked like he miskicked it. Reid was really impressive, even more so once I researched him and found out he isn't eligible until next year. I really liked how Gruzewski played. He took a heap of marks and looks like he could turn into an ideal Gunston replacement into the future.

Humphrey is not quite at Goater level, but it is worrisome. A couple of players in the GF showed that a defective technique is not going to be fixable even at AFL level.

You'd want your kicking coach to identify something obviously fixable and make a decision based on that with players who have sizable issues at junior level.

Last edited:
We need pick 5(6)to guarantee McKenzie imo otherwise we will be left reaching for blokes like Humphrey, clarke, Hewitt. There is a gap there

Clarke has been ranked slightly high than McKenzie throughout most of the year and hasn't done anything to suggest a gap has been created the other way.

I'm of the view that McKenzie has slightly overtaken him, but if it works out differently on draft night we shouldn't be disappointed.

Jyhe is one of the most natural footballers and competitors in this year's pool, plus his leadership is ranked at the highest end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke has been ranked slightly high than McKenzie throughout most of the year and hasn't done anything to suggest a gap has been created the other way.

I'm of the view that McKenzie has slightly overtaken him, but if it works out differently on draft night we shouldn't be disappointed.

Jyhe is one of the most natural footballers and competitors in this year's pool, plus his leadership is ranked at the highest end.
I'd be rapt with Clark. He's a jet.

I don't understand why some of the commenters in this thread appear to be against choosing Jhye Clark and why they think there is such a talent gap between Mackenzie and Clark. Yes, Mackenzie is the player I prefer and believe to be the superior one, and yes, I would pick him over Clark. However, it wasn't until the NAB League Grand Final that I saw Mackenzie as the better prospect, and I ranked Clark higher throughout the entire season. Yes, I agree that Mackenzie is more skilled, has a better kick, and has a faster burst away from a stoppage. But Clark's ability to show both defensive and offensive instincts, in addition to my opinion that he is a very good decision-maker, shows that he has a very well-rounded game. Combine that with the fact that I don't think anyone can compete with Clark's hunger for the ball and desire to win, and you have a very good inside midfielder who is capable of winning the ball on the outside as well as the inside. Mackenzie did indeed outperform Clark in the most crucial game of the year, but in my opinion, Clark played better than most people realise and demonstrated his willingness to lay a tackle and leap into the air to attempt to take a mark. People will question Clark because of his height, but let's remember that Leigh Matthews was only 178 cm. If Clark's willingness to win translates to his willingness to improve, which he has done from the beginning of this season until the end, I have no doubt he'll live up to the lofty expectations that will come with wherever he's selected.

Last edited:
I don't understand why some of the commenters in this thread appear to be against choosing Jhye Clark and why they think there is such a talent gap between Mackenzie and Clark. Yes, Mackenzie is the player I prefer and believe to be the superior one, and yes, I would pick him over Clark. However, it wasn't until the NAB League Grand Final that I saw Mackenzie as the better prospect, and I ranked Clark higher throughout the entire season. Yes, I agree that Mackenzie is more skilled, has a better kick, and has a faster burst away from a stoppage. But Clark's ability to show both defensive and offensive instincts, in addition to my opinion that he is a very good decision-maker, shows that he has a very well-rounded game. Combine that with the fact that I don't think anyone can compete with Clark's hunger for the ball and desire to win, and you have a very good inside midfielder who is capable of winning the ball on the outside as well as the inside. Mackenzie did indeed outperform Clark in the most crucial game of the year, but in my opinion, Clark played better than most people realise and demonstrated his willingness to lay a tackle and leap into the air to attempt to take a mark. People will question Clark because of his height, but let's remember that Leigh Matthews was only 178 cm. If Clark's willingness to win translates to his willingness to improve, which he has done from the beginning of this season until the end, I have no doubt he'll live up to the lofty expectations that will come with wherever he's selected.
Great points. At the end of the day this kid has Joel Selwood written all over him. I’d still be happy with McKenzie but prefer Clarke

I don't understand why some of the commenters in this thread appear to be against choosing Jhye Clark.
My reasoning is he lacks acceleration, run and carry and penetration in his kicking. reminds me of Nick Reis. He’s a pass for me at 7.

We need players with exquisite skills and kicks as midfielders. Amon and Ward is not enough.

My reasoning is he lacks acceleration, run and carry and penetration in his kicking. reminds me of Nick Reis. He’s a pass for me at 7.

We need players with exquisite skills and kicks as midfielders. Amon and Ward is not enough.

His high end qualities remind me a lot more of Cotchin, Macrae and Selwood, but I guess we see things slightly differently...

My concern with him is does he offer enough of a point of difference from Newcombe and Worpel? If he is the last midfielder that’s highly rated available we may not have a choice

Reasonable concern.

Best available midfielder at that selection is a must however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back