Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for those in the know.
Is it fair to say that Rachele at this time last year and Sheezel now, have a very similar profile heading into the draft?

Same. Reckon an AFL club would be better equipped to build his body/ rehab him properly.
With Wardlaw showing plenty early this year to pretty much secure himself as a top 5 pick is there any chance whatsover that his hammy issues have been hammed up (pun intended) so teams like North don't draft him? I'm thinking along the lines of what Geelong did with Selwood. I know a lot has changed since then and teams (well good ones) will run the fine tooth comb over these kids but is it possible to plant some reflags so you can drop a couple spots or is that a form or tampering. I do understand that Wardlaw has had repetitive hamstring issues but I can't lie in that the Selwood thing definitely crossed my mind.

If we don’t move up with our first starting to warm towards Clarke.

“Consistent, reliable, competitive, a leader and team player. The inside midfielder is great in the clinches but also capable of working on the outside, too”

Sounds like he has really strong character and a natural competitor ………. will try his guts out doesn’t matter what the game situation is. These traits have been common with a few of our picks recently!

If we don’t move up with our first starting to warm towards Clarke.

“Consistent, reliable, competitive, a leader and team player. The inside midfielder is great in the clinches but also capable of working on the outside, too”

Sounds like he has really strong character and a natural competitor ………. will try his guts out doesn’t matter what the game situation is. These traits have been common with a few of our picks recently!
I lean to Clarke as he has leadership qualities apparently and that's not a trait that is easily picked up. He may not have as much upside as Philipou or Humphrey but we need gruntside more than upside at this point in the list's development. If we get him it will cement the baseline for our midfield. You know what you are getting if we draft him.

If we work out a trade for Bruhn not involving pick 24...

Pick 7: Bailey Humphrey (explosive fwd/mid)
Pick 24: Jacob Konstanty (small pressure forward)
Pick 50: Best available
Pick 61: Pass or use on Jerome Lawrence

From a list management perspective, including trading and free agency, that secures an outside midfielder, an inside/outside midfielder, an explosive fwd/mid hybrid, a small pressure forward and a tall forward.

Drafting isn't as simple as just selecting needs based options OR the 'best available' talent. I could see the aforementioned approach taking a similar shape if we added Amon and Bruhn before draft night though.

I reckon this is how it will play out. While there's a bunch of gloom at not getting Sheez/Tsatas/Cadman anymore, I think we are in a very good spot. If the draft ends up going:
Wardlaw
Tsatas
Cadman
Sheezel

all gone before the ADL/GCS pick, they'll have an option to gazump us knowing Busslinger isn't a threat to be picked up. However, they might want Hollands to keep the brothers together. With what's happening with Rankine they might go full retention, but who knows? Assuming they don't, we have our pick of two of the following:

Bailey Humphrey: 186cm - 86kg - Fwd/Mid - Powerhouse

The kid is a beast. Humphrey is a fitting name for the kid, he's a bear amongst deer both in the air and on the ground. I'd recommend watching the video giantroo posted on his thread, it shows his composure through traffic and strength around the contest. He's deceptively agile for his frame, he ducks and steps out of contests smoothly. His kicking isn't great, he gets way too close to the man on the mark and it makes his kicks taller and wider than they would be if he took an extra five meters. His field kicking is also a bit rough, he stands rather upright and doesn't have the bullet-pass hunch that would get his kicks more direct and sharp. This is stuff that can be built upon in an AFL environment though. He is brilliant aerially, I'd love to see Gunner and Bruesty work with him to use his strength to out-position defenders and play as a true forward target. One underrated part of his game is his leadership, he's a fiery ball of fury for his teammates, very vocal and directional with his team. He's a smart, tough, vocal, and silky midfielder with one flaw that can be fixed with training.

Jhye Clark: 181cm - 78kg - Mid - Inside Class

A footballer's footballer. I find it strange when people say he has limited upside because he isn't a spectacular athlete in any one way. Jhye's upside is in his ability to do everything well. He's an in-and-under extractor with the pace to play off a wing and the marking to play as a forward ala CMac this year. He's the quintessential captain, I haven't seen such a burning desire to get a league team up than in his last few weeks. It has unfortunately proved unsuccessful, but his commitment to his team and the game is unrivaled. Again, watch giantroo if you want a taste of his game. His weaknesses come down to versatility and "weapons". He can take a nice grab, but he isn't crafty and elusive at ground level so shouldn't be a permanent forward. He has the tank to play on the wing but would end up similar to Tom Phillips if he was to never move inside. He is at his best in the guts and at the stoppage, but he isn't as dynamic as to win games of his own back. The Clarry to Humphreys Petracca, if you will.

Cam Mackenzie: 187cm - 80kg - Mid - Smooth and Balanced

Let's not forget about Cam. He hasn't had a bad game over the past month, but he's back in the shadow of his Sandringham teammates in the form of their life. Cam is an elusive and smooth midfielder who consistently puts out effective possessions and defensive efforts. He has brilliant disposal in space and the tools to get out of packs but probably needs to develop a bit of composure to utilize both effectively. Another fan of the backstep-and-go run, he can be a receiver or extractor at the stoppage. If we were going to get AFL games early I'd expect him to spend some time off half-forward playing defensively off their running half-back, building his contested game while having opportunities to win the ball on the spread himself. It's still unclear if he is helped or hindered by being Ashcroft's 2IC, but his Championship form and season at Sandringham have pegged him firmly into contention with our pick.

If Gold Coast were to get the pick preceding ours I expect them to target Clark as a Swallow replacement and future leader, but no matter who they pick I believe our selection will be safely in the upper echelon of talent. I'd personally rate these three Clark>Humphrey>Mackenzie, but if we don't have the scope to develop Clark properly at the AFL level I'd like us to take Humphrey.
Wow! To me this is the definitive analysis of our draft situation as it stands now. Thanks for this!

On our second pick, if we end up keeping it we might be a real shot at Brayden George. I know SYL loves the kid, and a one-two punch of Humphrey and George could have our medium-forward rotation set for years to come, with both being able to run in the midfield to give us a dynamic last-minute push over the line. Just spend a season or two getting those knees right and he's a gun with tonnes of goal of the year nominations ahead of him.
Decisions on 2nd pick (if we have it) is just as interesting as our first. Could be some inside mids still there.

Tworney has Keeler at pick 28 - surely we have a look? Possibly a bit similar to Ramsden but has talent and upside.

TD57 - who do you like for our 2nd? (Outside of George?)

Hearing that tsatas is the cleanest and most damaging of the lot. Ready to go from Rd 1 onward. Pick two is becoming a priority.
Hearing the same.

Up until now we’ve had a “no discussion of where our pick lands” policy in this thread, but with it being only a few weeks from the end of season it’s now inevitable that this will be broached, so if people want to talk pick trading and all the permutations this still isn’t the thread for it, but if you want to talk about where you want us to land and who you want us to grab come draft night….

Reaction GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decisions on 2nd pick (if we have it) is just as interesting as our first. Could be some inside mids still there.

Tworney has Keeler at pick 28 - surely we have a look? Possibly a bit similar to Ramsden but has talent and upside.

TD57 - who do you like for our 2nd? (Outside of George?)
Our second is a far more interesting and broad topic since it's nigh-on impossible to predict the outcomes of everyone before us. But if the following were available I'd look very closely:

Ollie Hotton: 181cm - 78kg - Mid/Fwd - Dynamic Half Forward

Hotton has been on my (and everyone's) radar since his massive carnival, topped by a 24 disposal 3 goals masterclass against SA. Slightly built but strong through the core, he's a smooth mover around stoppages with brilliant overhead marking. He's sharp with his skills and quick around the ground. He isn't a big contested ball winner, but he finds space close to goal and is a polished finisher. Would be thrilled if he fell to us.

Jacob Konstanty: 176cm - 70kgs - Small Forward

Poppy with a hint of Chad mixed in for good measure, Konstanty is an elusive and lighting-paced forward with offensive nous who exudes pressure in the forward line. He isn't strong, but he will chase down anyone who gives him the chance. With a magnet in his head pointed straight to the goals he has become an excitement machine for Gippsland. He has shown some potential as a midfielder, but with his frame, I'd be worried if he was playing whole games there. Like a lot of smaller forwards, he is prone to off days, but he always seems to get a goal somehow. His talent is undeniable, but I'm skeptical as to whether he can perform as an AFL midfielder. As a forward he'd provide great x-factor, especially if Brockman leaves.

Mitch Szybkowski: 186cm - 86kgs - Inside Midfielder

A tale as old as time, the big, tough midfielder with all the skills and smarts but none of the hops or burst falling in the draft. The consummate "footballers footballer", he gets the ball, handpasses cleanly out of the pack, and then tackles whichever opponent decides to run back the other way. What we lack as a midfield is toughness at the drop and clearances, and that's Szy. He's probably not going to win any Brownlows, but he's tough as a cats head and ten times as smart.

Kobe Ryan: 183cm - 73kgs - Balanced Midfielder

Kobe is a development player, but when he builds his frame up he poses a looming threat for anyone challenging him at the contest. His crash and bash, physical style is oddly complimented by his light frame letting him zip outside. He works hard, makes good decisions, and if he puts on 10 kilos he'll be formidable in a pack. As it stands, he just isn't athletic enough to make a difference on a wing, and while he takes the right course of action his execution could use a bit of polish.

Noah Long: 178cm - 74kgs - Forward/Midfield

After a good season last year, Noah had a few setbacks but I've really liked what I've seen. He injects pressure in the forward line, with an unrelenting work rate and a mindset of someone with a bit more weight on him. But as a midfield, he seems to find plenty of it, and I liked his stoppage positioning and hunt for the footy. He'll probably end up closer to the 3rd or 4th round, but he's a player I can see having a real crack at box hill and forcing his way into our side.

Our second is a far more interesting and broad topic since it's nigh-on impossible to predict the outcomes of everyone before us. But if the following were available I'd look very closely:

Ollie Hotton: 181cm - 78kg - Mid/Fwd - Dynamic Half Forward

Hotton has been on my (and everyone's) radar since his massive carnival, topped by a 24 disposal 3 goals masterclass against SA. Slightly built but strong through the core, he's a smooth mover around stoppages with brilliant overhead marking. He's sharp with his skills and quick around the ground. He isn't a big contested ball winner, but he finds space close to goal and is a polished finisher. Would be thrilled if he fell to us.

Jacob Konstanty: 176cm - 70kgs - Small Forward

Poppy with a hint of Chad mixed in for good measure, Konstanty is an elusive and lighting-paced forward with offensive nous who exudes pressure in the forward line. He isn't strong, but he will chase down anyone who gives him the chance. With a magnet in his head pointed straight to the goals he has become an excitement machine for Gippsland. He has shown some potential as a midfielder, but with his frame, I'd be worried if he was playing whole games there. Like a lot of smaller forwards, he is prone to off days, but he always seems to get a goal somehow. His talent is undeniable, but I'm skeptical as to whether he can perform as an AFL midfielder. As a forward he'd provide great x-factor, especially if Brockman leaves.

Mitch Szybkowski: 186cm - 86kgs - Inside Midfielder

A tale as old as time, the big, tough midfielder with all the skills and smarts but none of the hops or burst falling in the draft. The consummate "footballers footballer", he gets the ball, handpasses cleanly out of the pack, and then tackles whichever opponent decides to run back the other way. What we lack as a midfield is toughness at the drop and clearances, and that's Szy. He's probably not going to win any Brownlows, but he's tough as a cats head and ten times as smart.

Kobe Ryan: 183cm - 73kgs - Balanced Midfielder

Kobe is a development player, but when he builds his frame up he poses a looming threat for anyone challenging him at the contest. His crash and bash, physical style is oddly complimented by his light frame letting him zip outside. He works hard, makes good decisions, and if he puts on 10 kilos he'll be formidable in a pack. As it stands, he just isn't athletic enough to make a difference on a wing, and while he takes the right course of action his execution could use a bit of polish.

Noah Long: 178cm - 74kgs - Forward/Midfield

After a good season last year, Noah had a few setbacks but I've really liked what I've seen. He injects pressure in the forward line, with an unrelenting work rate and a mindset of someone with a bit more weight on him. But as a midfield, he seems to find plenty of it, and I liked his stoppage positioning and hunt for the footy. He'll probably end up closer to the 3rd or 4th round, but he's a player I can see having a real crack at box hill and forcing his way into our side.
What about Munkara? I hope we consider him especially if we grab a mid like Clarke or McKenzie with our first. Not sure what happened to him the second half of the year but he showed at the start of the season he has serious talent mixed with elite athleticism, proved himself against a vfl side and surely still has to have one of the highest upsides of the draft.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What about Munkara? I hope we consider him especially if we grab a mid like Clarke or McKenzie with our first. Not sure what happened to him the second half of the year but he showed at the start of the season he has serious talent mixed with elite athleticism, proved himself against a vfl side and surely still has to have one of the highest upsides of the draft.

Munkara has dropped off the chart completely for mine. He hasn't been locked in this year and, as cold as it sounds, I don't think he has enough of a chance to stick with it. I'd rather trade a later pick to Brisbane or Essendon and get picks for next year, to be honest. All the talent in the world, but I just don't think we're the club to inspire him into a long career.

I note ginbey was ranked by tworney at pick 8 (ahead of McKenzie, phillpou, hewett) - but hardly gets mentioned on here. Surely that means he’s a realistic chance at our pick? A big powerful mid seems a reasonable fit?

Munkara has dropped off the chart completely for mine. He hasn't been locked in this year and, as cold as it sounds, I don't think he has enough of a chance to stick with it. I'd rather trade a later pick to Brisbane or Essendon and get picks for next year, to be honest. All the talent in the world, but I just don't think we're the club to inspire him into a long career.

it has been weird with Munkara, after being a highlights package up in the NT last year, he moved down to Adelaide to play sanfl u18's for West Adelaide, where he was dominating in the pre-season and in his 1st 2 games, he was electric and showed amazing skills, whether it be his speed, agility or goal sense, looked every bit as dangerous as a Rioli or Ky Pickett, then he played that game against Collingwood VFL where he again was fantastic and got me excited for what was to come, then its almost like he quit footy or something? randomly played game 1 in the u18's championships where he didnt look like he wanted to be there and was more interested in trying to get into fights in the 2nd half than caring about the game, i heard a rumour that he had a death in the family which put him off footy a bit, but idk whats happened to him? absolute top tier talent if he can get his act together.

I note ginbey was ranked by tworney at pick 8 (ahead of McKenzie, phillpou, hewett) - but hardly gets mentioned on here. Surely that means he’s a realistic chance at our pick? A big powerful mid seems a reasonable fit?
i mentioned Ginbey :p but now that Cal mentions him i guess more people will jump on that train.

it has been weird with Munkara, after being a highlights package up in the NT last year, he moved down to Adelaide to play sanfl u18's for West Adelaide, where he was dominating in the pre-season and in his 1st 2 games, he was electric and showed amazing skills, whether it be his speed, agility or goal sense, looked every bit as dangerous as a Rioli or Ky Pickett, then he played that game against Collingwood VFL where he again was fantastic and got me excited for what was to come, then its almost like he quit footy or something? randomly played game 1 in the u18's championships where he didnt look like he wanted to be there and was more interested in trying to get into fights in the 2nd half than caring about the game, i heard a rumour that he had a death in the family which put him off footy a bit, but idk whats happened to him? absolute top tier talent if he can get his act together.

It'd be really hard for him to move all the way to Adelaide, presumably by himself, at that young of an age, and on top of all that having a death in the family. It's pretty easy to see how someone could lose motivation with all that on their plate. No matter what he's gonna be drafted so I'm sure he's still very keen to play in the afl, and I hope hearing his name on draft night will ignite that spark again.

He was considered a top 10 pick at one point and had he have kept up that production could've possibly gone top 5. I think he has potential to be a top 4-5 player from this draft and one of the best medium/small forwards in the competition. The team will of course sit him down and talk to him and they'll get a good idea of where his heads at. I still think he could be picked at our second.

He could even be trying to drop down a bit to try to get to essendons (I think) bid, but I doubt that.

Hearing the same.

Up until now we’ve had a “no discussion of where our pick lands” policy in this thread, but with it being only a few weeks from the end of season it’s now inevitable that this will be broached, so if people want to talk pick trading and all the permutations this still isn’t the thread for it, but if you want to talk about where you want us to land and who you want us to grab come draft night….

Reaction GIF
Black Friday GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back