List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The two finals before that he was bog. More than what most of our current mob can say for themselves.

We put work into degoey last week. Good luck doing that if he played along side warner

Just do not think he is it on either the player we need or personality fit.

Or salary cap fit.

Think most just want to bolster what we have. We had a great year, way better then expected. Would love to ad the cherries to go one better next year. You know lions and pies are both already doing this.
Lions yes. Ashcroft and Dunkley great additions but still big holes in their list as they lack running power and big question marks about their forward line.

Pies adding McStay (mediocre), Hill (showed nothing to date - wouldn't make their team this year) and Frampton (can't crack the Crows - enough said). Wouldn't say any of these guys are going to get them closer to a flag.

So overall, I disagree with your assertion that either the Lions or Pies are recruiting in a way that significantly improves their lists.

If we can recruit in a way to strengthen our list, I'd be all for that. But it's worth keeping in mind that we're still tight on our cap and if we are to bring a big fish in, it may well be that we will lose a few ourselves to make it happen. As an exercise, try to think of our 22 today, who would you be happy to move on to free up cap?

I know we will just run out the same next year. Maybe Parker fires in a gf just for something different.

We lost this game in the middle. Sure there forwards got on tip but they had so many opportunities. Our forwards did bugger all but they only seen the footy once every 20 mins.

Sort the guts out
We just made a grand final. Apparently ahead of time. Now the world is crumbling around us. Sell the SCG for DeGoey.

We just made a grand final. Apparently ahead of time. Now the world is crumbling around us. Sell the SCG for DeGoey.
How many times do we have to get flogged in grand finals. There's no guarantees this group ever get back

Sitting on your hands doesn't work in this league. Cats have been top 4 for a decade and still bring key players in year in year out.

Bringing in two 18 year olds with 17 and 14 doesn't improve us next year

I think we got the right players. It was simply boys vs men out there tonight. Buddy MAYBE should have retired tonight so we can focus on developing McDonald. However, I do not think we need to make drastic changes.

How many times do we have to get flogged in grand finals. There's no guarantees this group ever get back

Sitting on your hands doesn't work in this league. Cats have been top 4 for a decade and still bring key players in year in year out.

Neither does selling the Harbour Bridge for DeGoey

That's fine. But as I said in a previous post, nominate who you would move on to make the cap space for an A grade recruit or two, keeping in mind they'll most probably want overs to slum it in Old Sydney Town.

I think it is about cap space.

You hear about the big name trade targets like Logue, Degoey, Bowes, Hill, Taranto etc having salaries of around 700-800k compared to a 1st round draftee on 100k. So unless the club has a huge amount of cap space then we usually can't trade in multiple big name players. Maybe we can trade in 1 player on an expensive contract but we will need to make sure it is the right player.

Also recently we have re-signed Fox, the McCartins, Mcdonald, Warner and Franklin. And some of those players would have salary upgrades. So unless we start trading out contracted first team players. I am not sure we have enough cap space to bring in big name trade targets.

That's fine. But as I said in a previous post, nominate who you would move on to make the cap space for an A grade recruit or two, keeping in mind they'll most probably want overs to slum it in Old Sydney Town.
Cap space shouldn't be an issue.

Tigers have dusty on 1.3, lynch on close to a mill and bringing in two 700k players.

I don't wanna here the swans are under cap pressure this year.

Lions yes. Ashcroft and Dunkley great additions but still big holes in their list as they lack running power and big question marks about their forward line.

Pies adding McStay (mediocre), Hill (showed nothing to date - wouldn't make their team this year) and Frampton (can't crack the Crows - enough said). Wouldn't say any of these guys are going to get them closer to a flag.

So overall, I disagree with your assertion that either the Lions or Pies are recruiting in a way that significantly improves their lists.

If we can recruit in a way to strengthen our list, I'd be all for that. But it's worth keeping in mind that we're still tight on our cap and if we are to bring a big fish in, it may well be that we will lose a few ourselves to make it happen. As an exercise, try to think of our 22 today, who would you be happy to move on to free up cap?
Franklin would be the only one, outside the 22 ladhams atm. If he can get his head together we do need him.

Lions are definitely recruiting in a way that improves thier list, you said it yourself. Pies are at least trying.

I conceded that will be probably just use 14 and 17 but damn it would be tasty to get a ready body for next year with those picks. Pity about the cap room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy has shed at least 500k for next years deal.

Jpk has retired

We offered Dawson 700k.

There has to be money there

Eaten a chunk with extensions to Mills, Warner, McCartins and likely increases to other players on backended deals.

Also Papley OOC 2023.

Eaten a chunk with extensions to Mills, Warner, McCartins and likely increases to other players on backended deals.

Also Papley OOC 2023.
No doubt. But for a club who used to be revered for salary cap management it's astonishing we can't bring in any players of note for a decade and after the conclusion of buddy's deal

Will be interesting to see though. Need to keep the course and steady heads. Can't let one day pivot the whole list management

I think the mids are there

Franklin would be the only one, outside the 22 ladhams atm. If he can get his head together we do need him.

Lions are definitely recruiting in a way that improves thier list, you said it yourself. Pies are at least trying.

I conceded that will be probably just use 14 and 17 but damn it would be tasty to get a ready body for next year with those picks. Pity about the cap room.
The thing about bringing in a proven mid from the Dogs in theory sounds like it will make our list better. But it won't. He is 27+ years old. Heeney, Mills, McCartin, Papley etc are younger than that. They are the leaders of our club. I will say it again. They are the leaders of our club. What do you think they would say about bringing in overpriced, overhyped "stars" from other clubs? Do you want to be an Essendon that pays two first rounders for a mid on high $$$. What does it say to to the Swans Bloods culture we have had? We have mids drafted last year on extended contracts. What does it say to them? They are not wanted?
Swans want to build a dynasty. As if we don't already have one when we have been in finals every yearfor the last 20+ except 5. Idiots on here want a trade fix to help them get over a grand final loss. I expect the Dwans players don't want that. I expect the club does not want that.
I expect the club will do what it has done. It will continue to do the proper and right things that has made us one of the most successful clubs in the AFL over the last 20+ years and more.
Yeah. Lets trade two first rounders for a hasbeen clown in DeGoey and be like Essendon. Lets not trust the club that got us to a grand final.

I think re-signing Buddy was potentially a mistake. At least 500k there. He looked cooked against May, ok when Maynard was on him, cooked against Moore and very ineffectual with Henry on him today. But never write off a champion I guess.

Our cap is tight because we have so many good young players that will need to be re-signed. As an example, what's Chad going to be worth when he's off contract next? It will be somewhere between 750k - 1mil over at least 5 years I suspect.

I don't think our list management has been a complete disaster over the last few years.

From our best 22, we had a few players from the 2018, 2019 and 2020 drafts. So we are able to bring players through.

Also been able to bring in Hickey and McCartin to fill positions of real need. They were not great today but have done well recently.

So I feel there has been progress in recent seasons.

I think re-signing Buddy was potentially a mistake. At least 500k there. He looked cooked against May, ok when Maynard was on him, cooked against Moore and very ineffectual with Henry on him today. But never write off a champion I guess.

Our cap is tight because we have so many good young players that will need to be re-signed. As an example, what's Chad going to be worth when he's off contract next? It will be somewhere between 750k - 1mil over at least 5 years I suspect.
Our cap is as tight as everyone's. It is not too tight to get a big fish. Other clubs want the fast way to a premiership. Victorian clubs also have an advantage over us as they can underpay and there are lots of third parties that can offer them work. It is unfair. But that is the real world. Competing with Victorian clubs for Victorian based players results in overpaying. Sydney has higher cost of living.
I expect our cap is pretty good after shedding Hannebery, Jones, The Deserter etc. But our list is young and talented. In future years these guys will want more dollars. And that is to be expected. That is why we should not be overpaying now.

Buddy has shed at least 500k for next years deal.

Jpk has retired

We offered Dawson 700k.

There has to be money there

thats Not how it works.

the money gets rejigged and you budget for retirements etc. we don’t actually know what buddy signed for but we may well have budgeted nothing for him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back