King 202cm, 94Kg , Forward
Marshall 201cm, 105Kg. Ruck
Campbell 201cm 105Kg. Ruck
Howard 199cm , 94Kg Key Defender
Keeler 198cm, 89Kg Ruck/Fwd
Van Es 197cm , 99Kg. Key Defender
Adams 197cm, 83Kg Key Defender
Cordy 195cm, 92Kg. Key Defender
Allison 195cm, 87Kg, Not sure if he's anything.
Hayes 194cm, 92Kg. Ruck/Fwd
Battle 193cm , 92Kg. Key Defender.
Sharman 193cm, 86Kg. Ummm he's been played as a defender ....but....
Highmore 193cm , 86Kg. Intercepting defender, not really suitable for playing on talls.
Wood 192cm , 85Kg. Forward/Wing
Coffield 191cm ,88Kg Rebounding defender, is NOT a key defender.
Wilkie 191cm , 87Kg. Can play key defender remarkably well for his size, but its not his best role.
Owens 191 cm , 85Kg , Midfielder

Departed : Lionert 195cm 89kg. NOT a key defender.
Departed : Joyce 194cm, 95Kg. Key Defender.

I see Cordy as a replacement for Joyce, and acknowledgement that Adams is not yet considered to be effective at AFL level.
Van Es is a good size, but in October you can't sit back and say "we will draft an 18YO key defender and he'll come straight in and be effective ".

All in all , we seem to have a pretty good list of talls to move forward with.
Gibcus from tigers has done alright in his first year as a defender.

Sometimes you just have to give the kids a chance to show what they have got.

I think Cordy and JVE battle for the FB, lockdown role. This frees Howard to CHB (a MUCH better use for him) and then Battle released as the interceptor.
Agree with all the above but IMO Battle to Sandy, Membrey to HB interceptor.

Owens / Keeler / Hotton HF

In a well functioning forward set up with clearly defined roles, leading lanes, etc etc I think Battle could excel as a forward similar to Dan McStay.

If the forward line and entries require big pack marks and crumbing (i.e. what is has been to date) then he will find it too tough. He does not have enough forward craft or size to kick goals in such a set up.

And whatever happens, if we plan on moving him forward, that decision should be made very very soon so that he can get to work. Last minute chopping and changing is okay for some players, but it has never worked with Battle.

In a well functioning forward set up with clearly defined roles, leading lanes, etc etc I think Battle could excel as a forward similar to Dan McStay.

If the forward line and entries require big pack marks and crumbing (i.e. what is has been to date) then he will find it too tough. He does not have enough forward craft or size to kick goals in such a set up.

And whatever happens, if we plan on moving him forward, that decision should be made very very soon so that he can get to work. Last minute chopping and changing is okay for some players, but it has never worked with Battle.
I know I'm late to the party here but Collingwood must be laughing that McStay didnt stay and DeGoey didn't go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's certainly no slouch, as long as he isn't being asked to man up on a key forward. I recall him being taken to the cleaners by Jack Darling at the end of 2020.
Was that the time Ratts refused to play Carlisle?

8 Sandringham kids on our list now as well as a couple from Dandenong. Good to have a local feel about the club.

The Cats have around 13 taken from Geelong

Hopefully with a bit of success we can attract a few locals back to the area
I think 4 of the top 5 draftees this year from oakleigh or Sandy and over the past 4/5 years they have dominated the top 20.

The zones for them and the private school links make it almost unfair.

Dan Mcstay is a pretty ordinary forward. Averages a goal a game, if that’s what we’d be moving Battle for that’s a huge loss considering he looks like becoming a star back after years of stuffing him around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back