List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
unknown.png

Olivier Northam is unsurprisingly from Geelong.
As someone who is from Geelong. That is the normal around here haha.

Surprised to learn he is listed as, and has been played as a Ruck at only 195cm. I mean he is still growing. May end up being a full time forward at AFL level than a ruck. When you think rucks, for some reason you automatically think players over 200cm

e660d610e0f537edc00e80b095e4a72f.jpg

Looks like Phillipou is a fan of “The Bont”
That’s the final box ticked - get him to the kennel.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Would love him at pick 11, but sadly feel he and Busslinger will both be gone a couple of picks before then. Will have to settle for one of the other mids.

Would love him at pick 11, but sadly feel he and Busslinger will both be gone a couple of picks before then. Will have to settle for one of the other mids.
I’d be tempted to use our future picks to get into the top 10 on draft night, say Sheezel slips and is available at 7 or 8 we could potentially swap our 2x firsts into that pick for him or Philippou, I reckon both go around that 6-8 range and either would be huge for us

I’d be tempted to use our future picks to get into the top 10 on draft night, say Sheezel slips and is available at 7 or 8 we could potentially swap our 2x firsts into that pick for him or Philippou, I reckon both go around that 6-8 range and either would be huge for us
For Sheezel oh yeah
Don’t think there’s a player in the AFL that’s quite like him but I’d happy to keep the later two firsts and land something like a player capable of playing on the wing & a key defender to

For Sheezel oh yeah
Don’t think there’s a player in the AFL that’s quite like him but I’d happy to keep the later two firsts and land something like a player capable of playing on the wing & a key defender to
Yeah in that situation I’d still like to keep 21 & 11 to fill needs but would be open to trading both F1s for a crack at the top 8 or so this year

I'd prefer to trade down to 18 and 19 rather than trade up from 11. We desperately need a key defender to develop, and we can get one of them and a wing/small forward with those picks instead of whoever's at 11 that's rated highest but might not be a need.

Same.
Unless a great outside mid is there, then trading back is best.

I'd prefer to trade down to 18 and 19 rather than trade up from 11. We desperately need a key defender to develop, and we can get one of them and a wing/small forward with those picks instead of whoever's at 11 that's rated highest but might not be a need.
Yeah agreed, I’d be heavily looking at trading 11 for 18 & 19 which I think GWS would be interested in.

But whether we do that or not I’d still look at moving next years firsts into the top 10 on draft night if we’re guaranteed Sheezel or Philippou

I wouldn't trade back into this draft to go high just for Sheezel or Phillipou personally. We will have to give up to much good assets just for one player. We could walk out of this period with two firsts next year, in a draft that is much deeper, and much better. Rather take four top 21 picks across the next year instead of just two. The more picks next year the better, as boring as it may be for us this season. Potentially 6 top 20 picks if we trade back 11, and trade up next year.

We could even have 3 first round picks next year if we land one of the Lions F2. Can package both that and our 2nd up for an extra first round pick. Even though we will get no where near Reid or Curtain, stranger things have happened results wise. Lions or us could have a season from hell and finish low. Hence I would rather not trade any of the future picks out. As I said, is two top 21 picks better, or the potential for six top 20 picks? Anyone we trade up for would sure the hell have to be a sure thing A grader.

Last edited:
if we end up with 21, and if Sydney have their eye on anyone I'd rather put a deal to them to swap 11+21 for 14+17 or something along those lines. if there was any interest.

I think we can pretty well assure getting a decent KPD and another decent pickup at those points. Still a good chance those picks could get us something like Philipou/hewett and hayes

Especially if Busslinger is gone by our pick, it could be a move to be done on the night. Obviously really depends what we get and what we end up spending on lobb

Not 2022 relevant but am I correct that if Mitchell Croft doesn’t play football again in 2023 or 2024 then he could be added to the list directly without having to be drafted (I guess in theory to any club not just us)?

If Jordan develops next year into someone worth drafting (even if not an early pick) and then shows promise in his first year on the list surely you look into it. At 20 years old there might be a pros/cons list of AFL vs Volleyball that has more attractive $ on the right hand side.

I'm back on the Humphrey wagon. Would definitely want him if he slides. I think people over state his "poor ball use" purely because of his goal kicking accuracy. He is just powerful, strong and a contested machine. The fact he takes a lot of shots at goal is a big plus to me regardless his accuracy. His field kicking whilst not elite, is far from bad either. Its still above standard for his position. What i like is his upper body strength and marking. I have said it for years that our side is so easily pushed aside in one on one marking contests all across the ground. We near always seem to lose the marking stats each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RookieMe have been putting up their deeper analysis on draft prospects and their write up on Hayes better expresses the concerns I’ve mentioned having with him: Lewis Hayes

He presents as a solid prospect as an interceptor, but I think his prospects for becoming a genuine 1-2 KPD are pretty uncertain.
I agree his 1-2 KPD prospects are uncertain but I think his movement (ability to play smaller than 197cm), foot-skills and remaining development (late birthday) make up for a lot of it.

The way I look at it is you want to be selecting him on the basis that he's unlikely (in my view) to fail to become at least a serviceable interceptor, and then you have exposure to the upside that he might develop the 1-2 KPD capability. To me that's a profile you can feel pretty comfortable using a late teens / early 20s pick on (and I hope we do given need) but I would hesitate at pick 11.

At 197cm and a late birthday there's half a chance that he also turns into a mobile ruckman with ok skills who can sit behind the ball.

if we end up with 21, and if Sydney have their eye on anyone I'd rather put a deal to them to swap 11+21 for 14+17 or something along those lines. if there was any interest.

I think we can pretty well assure getting a decent KPD and another decent pickup at those points. Still a good chance those picks could get us something like Philipou/hewett and hayes

Especially if Busslinger is gone by our pick, it could be a move to be done on the night. Obviously really depends what we get and what we end up spending on lobb
I'd prefer to keep 21 and try to trade 11 and 39 or maybe our future second for 18 and 19. Looks like there'll be good value at that range.

I agree his 1-2 KPD prospects are uncertain but I think his movement (ability to play smaller than 197cm), foot-skills and remaining development (late birthday) make up for a lot of it.

The way I look at it is you want to be selecting him on the basis that he's unlikely (in my view) to fail to become at least a serviceable interceptor, and then you have exposure to the upside that he might develop the 1-2 KPD capability. To me that's a profile you can feel pretty comfortable using a late teens / early 20s pick on (and I hope we do given need) but I would hesitate at pick 11.

At 197cm and a late birthday there's half a chance that he also turns into a mobile ruckman with ok skills who can sit behind the ball.

I have the same issues with Busslinger. Both have played third tall most of their career. They could become 1/2KPD but the likelihood is that our club can’t develop then into KPD, as we haven’t shown an ability to develop KPD.

In saying that, we actually need a high end interceptor, so Hayes & Busslinger do fill a major list need.

I prefer Barnett or Weddle as KPD prospects.

IF we got 1 interceptor and 1 KPD (& a wing & small forward). Then I would be happy.

Caleb Mitchell is a name that doesn’t get too much attention but is known for his two way running, a good size and did some impressive things in the champs whilst playing wing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah there was some chat about him on the draft boards. Sounds interesting option later on for the wing.

RookieMe have been putting up their deeper analysis on draft prospects and their write up on Hayes better expresses the concerns I’ve mentioned having with him: Lewis Hayes

He presents as a solid prospect as an interceptor, but I think his prospects for becoming a genuine 1-2 KPD are pretty uncertain.
What are those concerns? Just strength and contested ability as listed on rookie me.
You'd expect those to improve in the AFL system, especially considering his age and height. I'd much rather take a defender who is athletic but not strong than vice versa (see Keiran Collins)
On the other hand if he lacks aggression it gets lost like Lewis Young did that would be more of a concern. I haven't seen any full games but it seems like he does a reasonably good job of shutting down opponents as well as intercepting?

What are those concerns? Just strength and contested ability as listed on rookie me.
You'd expect those to improve in the AFL system, especially considering his age and height. I'd much rather take a defender who is athletic but not strong than vice versa (see Keiran Collins)
On the other hand if he lacks aggression it gets lost like Lewis Young did that would be more of a concern. I haven't seen any full games but it seems like he does a reasonably good job of shutting down opponents as well as intercepting?
Big watch on Hayes at todays combine.

I’m surprised so many are keen to split 11. For me we need the best chance at top talent and picking at 11 does that.
It's more due to the apparent evenness of the draft outside the top 10. It seems like there is a top 5 including Ashcroft then another 5 or 6 then a pretty even spread of about 15.
There may be a slider at 11 but there are quite a few players who fit list needs in that 10 - 30 range so 2 it or 3 hits at that range might be better.

It's more due to the apparent evenness of the draft outside the top 10. It seems like there is a top 5 including Ashcroft then another 5 or 6 then a pretty even spread of about 15.
There may be a slider at 11 but there are quite a few players who fit list needs in that 10 - 30 range so 2 it or 3 hits at that range might be better.
Yeah I guess I just don’t agree it’s as even as that but that’s for Milesi to make a call. I guess do you trade now or wait until draft night in case there is a slider. The assumed top 10 could shift if GWS move up and West Coast split pick 2 and go purely for WA talents.

Yeah I guess I just don’t agree it’s as even as that but that’s for Milesi to make a call. I guess do you trade now or wait until draft night in case there is a slider. The assumed top 10 could shift if GWS move up and West Coast split pick 2 and go purely for WA talents.
Given the evenness of the 10-30 range I think having picks around that 18-22 level also opens up a lot of potential trades on draft night.

If someone who Saints, Hawks, Carlton, etc. had on their board at 10 is still there (and the players we hoped would last until then are gone) you could very well have a 2023 R1 plus sweetener offered in live trading for a pick 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back