Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly somebody said to me at work today that they were saying in the media wash up that since 95 sides who have been flogged in the GF have failed to win a final the next year. Don’t usually buy into that stuff but will be interesting to see what happens. Will put my orchestra stalls on the line here now though and say I don’t think we are winning a flag next year.
True, after our flogging in 2014 we went out in straight sets in 2015. But then we made a GF in 2016.

Interestingly somebody said to me at work today that they were saying in the media wash up that since 95 sides who have been flogged in the GF have failed to win a final the next year. Don’t usually buy into that stuff but will be interesting to see what happens. Will put my orchestra stalls on the line here now though and say I don’t think we are winning a flag next year.
True but Demons had a massive win in ‘21 and went out in straight sets in ‘22.

Hawks similar in 2016 after a big win in 2015 knocked out in straight sets.

Form can disappear for the premiers as well.

Logan is still really raw

He was getting the 3rd tall remember and still struggling

To think he is gonna go and kick 50 for the year and tear the number 1 KD apart is unrealistic

well not many do that

we should expect he can stop the 0-4 possie games and get more involved

Buddy was crap saturday but delivery was junk

having said that why does my 50 plus goal forward turn to complete s**t next year ?
Buddy kicked 50, but how many more goals would Logan, Heeney, McLean, Hayward kick in his absence?

Buddy demands the footy. As a result, others are starved of opportunities as the i50 target. They can’t all just be crumbers.

Buddy’s marking has become pretty awful & he no longer has a penetrating kick.

The hard question: does Buddy truly remain best XXII? Or are we unduly swayed by the romance of his past deeds?

Buddy kicked 50, but how many more goals would Logan, Heeney, McLean, Hayward kick in his absence?

Buddy demands the footy. As a result, others are starved of opportunities as the i50 target. They can’t all just be crumbers.

Buddy’s marking has become pretty awful & he no longer has a penetrating kick.

The hard question: does Buddy truly remain best XXII? Or are we unduly swayed by the romance of his past deeds?

He certainly starts there , Heeney almost got 50 himself , Hayward close to 40 , I am not sure he robbed anyone of too many chances.

There are perhaps times the miss look for him when they shouldn't though, He still performed at a level that no one else in the side has in terms of scoring output, but the end can come quick and we saw some issues at times this year.

Imo he shouldn't play close to every game , sometimes we seem to put the marketing ahead of things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is what annoys me the most about Pete Ladhams brainfades. He would have been useful, at least against Hawkins in the ruck (where he kicked those two in the first). His presence and body wouldn't have allowed that to happen imo. Was critical to the game, start off crap you have the work cut out for you.

We somewhat tried to even the contest in the second, which I thought we had. Had a slight sniff in the 3rd if we'd kicked the first couple but in the end the mountain was too big to climb.

Hawkins just would have been kicking the goal from the square after the 50 when Ladham’s elbow hits him in the head
but I mean once two rucks are nominated , Hickey and Hawkins , mccartin literally can't be in that contest

where do you want him to be ? standing in front waiting for hawkins to finish the ruck ?

How far away do they have to be ?

They usually look pretty close crouded around the ruck.

In hindsight we should have had someone right up at the contest between the goals and him. Sometimes that isn’t even enough as he gets it on the boot quick.

You either have to concede the ruck
Assuming he is going to move you and lower your centre of gravity where he can’t move you or start away from the contest and time coming in.

Hard for a ruck who does it for a living to concede a part timer is going to beat you but he will as he moves some of the toughest full backs off the line. It’s a great skill of Hawkins.

No shame in losing to him but definitely a bit of shame in not having a setup for that scenario which he always does.

That was disappointing from the defensive discipline we usually show.

True, after our flogging in 2014 we went out in straight sets in 2015. But then we made a GF in 2016.
Your kidding imo
That would give him 65+ goals for a season. He is nowhere near that. Would win the Coleman and if you think of it from that perspective he is nowhere near Charlie Curnow at the present. In another 2 years let’s look at it then.

2015 isn't relevant. We made top 4, and took it up to Freo away and North, with injuries galore. We didn't go quietly into the night.
Yeah definitely, that was a team that gave it 110% in the QF away in Perth, it was always going to be a tough one. Eventually clawed our way to a 2 goal deficit but fell short. Too bad injuries basically ended our 2015 season.

Buddy will struggle
Then if that’s the case we’re ****ed. McDonald not ready to be the key, Buddy and Reid finished, neither Amartey or McClean proven as a key at AFL level. Who’s kicking them ? Our superstar Heeney ? Papley as a small key forward or for all of his effort a will of the wisp Hayward ? If we look at all this being the case we’re in trouble. Thing is it won’t pan out that way. We will be ok but it underlines my thing about timing with your list being good enough to take you to a flag. All the stars need to align. Trust our Football dept know what they are doing and not waste a very talented list, players don’t piss opportunity up against the wall and realise what happened Saturday was unacceptable and what they aspire to, work their arses off to be better and do what they are capable of before that timing comes back to bite them and they miss out on an opportunity that many many AFL players never get.

Hi all, dropping in for the first time since Saturday and hope you’re all doing ok.

Sydney have always been my most respected opposition team. I genuinely cheer for you every week when you aren’t playing us. I’ve always felt a lot of similarities between our two clubs in how we remain relevant, are always competitive and draft and recruit really well.

I remember when Goodes took a break from the game and his first game back was at Kardinia Park. The two teams ran through a banner together, and when Goodes kicked a goal in the last quarter thousands of Cats fans including me stood and applauded him. It was honestly one of my proudest moments following my club.

Anyway, I’m really sorry about Saturday. You don’t need me to tell you that Geelong fans know what bad finals losses feel like, as we’d basically had 11 years of them. While your team played nowhere near their capabilities I genuinely believe we would have beaten anyone on Saturday - we were hellbent on not letting this one slip.

You have a brilliant young team and arguably made a GF ahead of schedule. I can’t see a way you don’t contend for the next five or more years, and it’s quite scary thinking how good you’ll be when Warner, Blakey, Rowbottom, Gulden etc have all played 70-100 games.

Thank you to your team and fans for being so classy in defeat, Rampe’s speech got me teary at the game.

Best of luck for 2023, if the Cats don’t go B2B which I strongly doubt, I hope you go one stop further 👍

Then if that’s the case we’re ****ed. McDonald not ready to be the key, Buddy and Reid finished, neither Amartey or McClean proven as a key at AFL level. Who’s kicking them ? Our superstar Heeney ? Papley as a small key forward or for all of his effort a will of the wisp Hayward ? If we look at all this being the case we’re in trouble. Thing is it won’t pan out that way. We will be ok but it underlines my thing about timing with your list being good enough to take you to a flag. All the stars need to align. Trust our Football dept know what they are doing and not waste a very talented list, players don’t piss opportunity up against the wall and realise what happened Saturday was unacceptable and what they aspire to, work their arses off to be better and do what they are capable of before that timing comes back to bite them and they miss out on an opportunity that many many AFL players never get.
I don’t think we will be good enough next season anyway

We had a favourable draw this season ,no injuries, reid had no injuries and played his best season probably of his career.

Buddy imo will get beat more often than not and especially against the best like we seen in the finals.

We don’t have another KPF on the list that’s afl standard so if buddy is cooked we are fine anyway

Yeah definitely, that was a team that gave it 110% in the QF away in Perth, it was always going to be a tough one. Eventually clawed our way to a 2 goal deficit but fell short. Too bad injuries basically ended our 2015 season.
Yeah, I didn't get to the end of 2015 feeling like the side had failed in any way. We had a couple of horrific games against the Hawks, Eagles, but while it took us a while to get going vs the Dons in Round 1, we were 9-2 midway (narrow losses to Freo and Dogs). Hardly fell apart after the belting in 2014. And then performed bravely despite the injury carnage leading up to and during finals.

A few key injuries to Geelong, plus any dip in performance by some of their aging stars and they come back to the pack. If they're as primed as they were this year, they're going to be tough to beat, experienced, battle-hardened, well drilled and have a very balanced list. The league will need them to decline in some way to overrun them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back