Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh well mate there's an equally disappointing summer of cricket to watch , even though it's a second rate sport.

I have my NFL and NBA Teams who can let me down in the mean time

but it's all part of the sports journey in all seriousness , when we do win the flag it will all be a culmination of a lot as a fan including last week.

I'll sook whinge and feel s**t about it with the best of them, but flip side life goes on, wife and kids happy healthy, sun is shining , sure I need three jobs to fuel the car or buy a grape and the world is full of nuts, but life is still good :)
If anyone is feeling seriously depressed by the loss they should of course seek professional help without delay. I am serious.

But for those of us who are more than a bit bummed out, but not utterly devastated (like me), well this book “The Antidote” by Oliver Burkeman that I’m reading right now could not have come along at a better time. I only started it the other night, so I won’t say too much about the overall theme of the book, but his early chapter on the Stoic philosophers of ancient Greece and Rome, and the foul-mouthed American psychologist Albert Ellis, have consoled me greatly.

Takeaway message: the only effective way to deal with despair is not to think positively, or even to dwell on how bad things are, but to realistically dwell on how much hideously worse life could be.

Team just got smashed in a grand final? That’s bad, real bad.

But getting some hideous tropical flesh-eating disease that progressively eats away half your face? That’s much worse.

If anyone is feeling seriously depressed by the loss they should of course seek professional help without delay. I am serious.

But for those of us who are more than a bit bummed out, but not utterly devastated (like me), well this book “The Antidote” by Oliver Burkeman that I’m reading right now could not have come along at a better time. I only started it the other night, so I won’t say too much about the overall theme of the book, but his early chapter on the Stoic philosophers of ancient Greece and Rome, and the foul-mouthed American psychologist Albert Ellis, have consoled me greatly.

Takeaway message: the only effective way to deal with despair is not to think positively, or even to dwell on how bad things are, but to realistically dwell on how much hideously worse life could be.

But getting some hideous tropical flesh-eating disease that progressively eats away half your face? That’s much worse.

Thanks for sharing might give that a look

PS just want to say I really appreciated the post of yours I was replying to. Funny (of course) and humane. Your presence is always appreciated mate.

thank you right back at you :)

11 bucks for a bag of grapes though ...

because an apple just doesn't cut it for my daughter

ahh yes the grand final ... damn

Correct

At the end of the day, nobody gives a ****.

Another way of looking at our ending...

If the genie of AFL finals past & future came to you in March and said "Look, you have 2 options only and you have the choice of just 1 of the following scenarios:

1) Get booted straight out of week 1 finals from woeful goal kicking, losing to GWS by a point ..or..

2) Make it to the GF but lose it by 13 goals due to diabolical 30mins of play.
I'll even throw in a comprehensive finals win against the 2021 premiers .. and also a 1 point prelim win to the Pies to end their season"

You'd still take it .. surely?? I would.

Do you feel worse this week than after our last game a year ago?
Would you prefer to have watched a Swans-free September?

Yes, it was embarrassing and against the teams principles - but I dare say they'll be making a vow to erase that memory in 2023.

Y'know - we may even improve yet again for the 3rd year in a row :think:

If the genie of AFL finals past & future came to you in March and said "Look, you have 2 options only and you have the choice of just 1 of the following scenarios:

1) Get booted straight out of week 1 finals from woeful goal kicking, losing to GWS by a point ..or..

I'll even throw in a comprehensive finals win against the 2021 premiers .. and also a 1 point prelim win to the Pies to end their season"

Yes, it was embarrassing and against the teams principles - but I dare say they'll be making a vow to erase that memory in 2023.

I'd rather lose a prelim than lose a GF ever again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just rewatched the QF and the prelim to sorta lift my spirits and I have to say that I really think we peaked in that qualifying final. The intensity and energy and run and dare that we played with was absolutely through the roof. It was the best game we have played in dare I say several years.

Problem is when you reach your peak as a team it can sort of only go down from there. Preliminary final we picked up where we left off from the qualifying final, but it really did look like that intensity and energy and run and dare was dissipating the longer that game went on.

We ended the game spent, offering little resistance to Collingwood's challenge and only surviving it by a mixture of diehard desperation and luck. So in the grand final we again picked up where we left off from the preliminary final.

It leaves me with some sense of hope. We were on a 7 match winning streak going into the QF and had played insanely good footy. If next year we can have our spot on the ladder a bit more secured so that we don't need to be coming into finals needing to win an 8th, 9th and 10th game in a row, then I think it would be possible to replicate that qualifying final performance just two games later in a grand final.

what annoys me is how classy geelong are in victory - like selwood posing for picture , getting drinks man on the ground and nice moments

almost prefer they were a pack of assholes 🤣
Same for their fans.

Walking back along the Yarra after 14/16 was an absolutely dire experience, being constantly heckled into the night.

No such issues cruising around in Swans colours on Saturday night.

I'll take the packet of tim tams that never runs out

Just an
We were bad ffs , but beaten by a team who won 16 in a row , top of the ladder the whole season and really one of the great teams with so mush versatility .
stop making excuses ffs

Oh they won 16 blah blah

We win 9 so ****ing what

They were the top team

It was 81 points

No excuses for that shit what so ever so don’t try to make them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back