Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn’t agree more

Hate the window timing talk

or clocks and shit

I know it will be seen as too negative , don't mean it that way, as I think we do always bounce back. But the ahead of schedule stuff is just dumb, it's a grand final , we missed a massive chance, you don't get it back

we weren't there early. we should have won this year with who we have or given it a decent crack

We are going to have just as much competition next if not more

Lions look as though they will have a strengthend midfield

Even the tigers get it right they can have a crack , 2 best 22 mids added

I think degoey would be a huge loss for the pies

Melbourne will be there abouts with a better injury run and if they get Grundy going then look out

Honestly rampe , Reid and Franklin could be finished by mid way point next year for all we know

Parker is 30 next year
Hickey is 32

flip side geelong showed that doesn't matter if you manage it

4 structural players that could well and truly be finished

what we have seen to is you just never know

buddy made it through full deal

alex johnson basically finished after 2012 :(

gotta take chances when you get them

Honestly rampe , Reid and Franklin could be finished by mid way point next year for all we know
That’s why windows might be bullshit but timing is not. You have named players that maybe finished next year so if they were, do you think the current young group who played Saturday combined with some of the young talent that are still developing would be good enough to win a flag without them ? Your list peaking at it’s full potential is everything to do with timing. Can that timing be orchestrated ? Of course it can’t that’s where a lot of other factors come into it. Good coaching, draw, luck with injury and above all else not pissing opportunity up against the wall like Saturday.

Last edited:
Might sound a bit "throwing the kid out with the bathwater" but potentially better for us if they are, might mean we have a down year next year but are better positioned for a run in 2024.

Because none of those players are getting better, infact I'd bet each of them (along with potentially Hickey) are more likely to be worse next year than they were this year.

Might of been closer this than next , time will tell

But the 4 just named could potentially at there age only go one way. And when it does it’s fast.
Only have to look at the best contested ball winner the club has had this year.

i guess the other side is early this year who had clarke and fox best 22

never know who steps up or maybe campbell and wicks jump up

or clocks and s**t

I know it will be seen as too negative , don't mean it that way, as I think we do always bounce back. But the ahead of schedule stuff is just dumb, it's a grand final , we missed a massive chance, you don't get it back

we weren't there early. we should have won this year with who we have or given it a decent crack
Interestingly somebody said to me at work today that they were saying in the media wash up that since 95 sides who have been flogged in the GF have failed to win a final the next year. Don’t usually buy into that stuff but will be interesting to see what happens. Will put my orchestra stalls on the line here now though and say I don’t think we are winning a flag next year.

Interestingly somebody said to me at work today that they were saying in the media wash up that since 95 sides who have been flogged in the GF have failed to win a final the next year. Don’t usually buy into that stuff but will be interesting to see what happens. Will put my orchestra stalls on the line here now though and say I don’t think we are winning a flag next year.

Who knows , need to see the lists first

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were banking on a injury prone 31 this year in Reid.

He had a fantastic year no doubt but expecting that again knowing him will be to much just there

Rampe is finished in my opinion

Franklin at FF will be beaten more than not imo

Hicky we can probably replace with ladhams if he pulls his in

Yeah the cliff came quickly for JPK and it was sad. We at least had Rowbottom and Warner coming into their own this season, they were given the keys and lo and behold we went on a 9 game winning streak.

Gould and Logan could come on next season, but it does take key position players a while to settle into the seniors. Who knows, both of them might blow us away next season.

Also, we were wrong about Clarke, we finally maximised his strengths. Someone in the reserves could make a huge jump.

Might sound a bit "throwing the kid out with the bathwater" but potentially better for us if they are, might mean we have a down year next year but are better positioned for a run in 2024.

Because none of those players are getting better, infact I'd bet each of them (along with potentially Hickey) are more likely to be worse next year than they were this year.
My question would be what constitutes “ A down Year “ if you consider where we are placed currently ? Finishing in the 8 and winning a final would be a down year from where we should see ourselves at the moment even taking into account the debacle that was Saturday. Missing the 8 and going backwards you aren’t winning no flag in 2024. The attitude they need to have is they strive to continue to improve and do so. If they do and others improve as well and that’s not good enough to get the result so be it.

Logan is still really raw

He was getting the 3rd tall remember and still struggling

To think he is gonna go and kick 50 for the year and tear the number 1 KD apart is unrealistic
If you look at Hawkins career. The 2011
Grand Final was considered his break out game where it all came together as the key forward. That was his 5th season and 80 odd games.

McDonald has played 24 games in 2 seasons. In sone ways Buddy playing another year helps McDonald. He’s still a few years off (which is fine).

A dumb set of ideas from me:

1. Move Mills Back to defence
2. Move Heeney to the mids
3. More mids time for Paps / Hayward drifts forward
4. Blakey to the wing
5. J Mac to the mids (big enough body to grow into)
6. Move Parker forward
7. Sayonara Jake Lloyd
8. Give Wicks a crack in defence
9. Ladhams for Hickey sometime next year (surely RJ in his last year)
10. Hope that Stephens keep developing - has improved for sure but keeps getting bullied.
11. Amartey in for Reid
12. Logan in / When bud is out
13. McLean as depth

We will have a better defence with Mills in / Lloyd out

Mids will be more dynamic - heeney, develop J Mac and more of paps. Parker forward isa great mark and set shot kick.

Something needs to change.

If you look at Hawkins career. The 2011
Grand Final was considered his break out game where it all came together as the key forward. That was his 5th season and 80 odd games.

McDonald has played 24 games in 2 seasons. In sone ways Buddy playing another year helps McDonald. He’s still a few years off (which is fine).
Expectations to high

I don’t know about you guys but I’m still suffering from stage 1 of the 5 stages of grief. “Anger”

Still pissed that we didn’t even give ourselves a chance. Second grand final we have suffered the biggest of biggest stage frights.
Stage 1 is Denial
Anger is Stage 2

FWIW I skipped straight to Stage 5, Acceptance.

No one would've predicted us to get to the GF this year and quite simply we weren't ready.

Combination of reasons as to why, but obviously not ready.

I am still pretty content with where the team is at, albeit expecting a few growing pains as we potentially replace some veterans with younger options next year.
The team is in a good place. We can't say we choked but then propose mass changes to the team both structurally and personnel-wise. It wouldn't be seen as a choke in the first place if the team supposedly had so many errors that were always going to cost us.

The one thing I'd look at making changes to would be our leadership group. Whilst it's not the be all that ends all and it's not like it's a binding contract or anything, it might be time to update ours. I'm not sure it's productive for Buddy to be in the leadership group when he's our worst player over the finals series, or for Cunningham to still be in the leadership group when he hadn't been in the best 22 for much of the year and his future at the club is unclear. Kennedy was also in it this year and is now retired.

Get some young blood in there that better reflects where the team is at and where a huge portion of our spark and performance come from.

Well done to the cats, best team all year for a reason. We got outdone by the occasion from the get go. Can tell we were outclassed. Geelong deserved this and we need to accept it for what it is. This team has everything it needs to compete for the next few years, and a grand for nal.appearnce is the best we could wish for because it sets us on good stead for years to come, the boys know what to expect. It's swans time. I have full confidence in this squad.

Love you all and it's been a pleasure talking swans with you all year. See you next year♥️
I am yet to watch the game on telly, but from what I saw at the G, that was the most complete performance of any team I think I have ever seen. No other team was going to come close to them on Saturday. They were awesome. I tip my hat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back