Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins just would have been kicking the goal from the square after the 50 when Ladham’s elbow hits him in the head

How far away do they have to be ?

They usually look pretty close crouded around the ruck.

In hindsight we should have had someone right up at the contest between the goals and him. Sometimes that isn’t even enough as he gets it on the boot quick.

You either have to concede the ruck
Assuming he is going to move you and lower your centre of gravity where he can’t move you or start away from the contest and time coming in.

Hard for a ruck who does it for a living to concede a part timer is going to beat you but he will as he moves some of the toughest full backs off the line. It’s a great skill of Hawkins.

No shame in losing to him but definitely a bit of shame in not having a setup for that scenario which he always does.

That was disappointing from the defensive discipline we usually show.

If he gets another one of those through against us in round 1 2023 I'll go gaga.
Geez that had better be a win, or at the absolute least a close game - team/club needs to make a statement early that we don't stand for that rubbish we showed the world on 24/9/22.

I was just coming here to post that video and something I noticed. Six minutes in, during the national anthem, look at the difference between the two teams. Geelong are completely relaxed, their hands don't leave their backs or fronts the whole time, and we are all jittery, jumpy, players on the left even talking to each other. The game was lost before it started. Period.

Geelongs ability to play Blicavs, Stanley and Hawkins in the ruck against Hickey killed us. Blicavs and Stanley just too athletic, played like extra mids and Hawkins rag dolled poor Ruck Jesus. It was a 3 v 1 smash up. Hickey got no respite whereas the 3 big cats all got decent breaks and remained fresh. I think this was pivotal to Geelongs dominance at the stoppages and also took away Hickey's (who was our top rated player of the finals) influence around the park.

Blicavs is massive for us. If its Stanley against Hickey then youd have to go with your guy. Scott uses Blicavs as a ruck at times allowing Stanley to drift back and set up our spare. Scott was very stubborn in the past but this year he has evolved. He has become adept at identifying the oppositions main threat and nullifying it, and more often than not Blicavs' versatility makes him part of the solution.

I think the Swans will be one of the teams that will contend as finally we begin to slip. All it takes a massing piece of the puzzle and a rethink by Horse and you guys will be right up there. Commiserations to your blokes as every Cat fan knows all too well just how much it blows losing grand finals. You're down now, but certainly not out. You dont win nine straight if you are no good.

Hi all, dropping in for the first time since Saturday and hope you’re all doing ok.

Sydney have always been my most respected opposition team. I genuinely cheer for you every week when you aren’t playing us. I’ve always felt a lot of similarities between our two clubs in how we remain relevant, are always competitive and draft and recruit really well.

I remember when Goodes took a break from the game and his first game back was at Kardinia Park. The two teams ran through a banner together, and when Goodes kicked a goal in the last quarter thousands of Cats fans including me stood and applauded him. It was honestly one of my proudest moments following my club.

Anyway, I’m really sorry about Saturday. You don’t need me to tell you that Geelong fans know what bad finals losses feel like, as we’d basically had 11 years of them. While your team played nowhere near their capabilities I genuinely believe we would have beaten anyone on Saturday - we were hellbent on not letting this one slip.

You have a brilliant young team and arguably made a GF ahead of schedule. I can’t see a way you don’t contend for the next five or more years, and it’s quite scary thinking how good you’ll be when Warner, Blakey, Rowbottom, Gulden etc have all played 70-100 games.

Thank you to your team and fans for being so classy in defeat, Rampe’s speech got me teary at the game.

Best of luck for 2023, if the Cats don’t go B2B which I strongly doubt, I hope you go one stop further 👍

Thanks for the classy message - appreciated.

Yes, all doing fine here.
They even wheeled me out for half an hour's sunshine from the rubber room today so I must be starting to show some improvement after Saturday. 🤪

If he gets another one of those through against us in round 1 2023 I'll go gaga.
Geez that had better be a win, or at the absolute least a close game - team/club needs to make a statement early that we don't stand for that rubbish we showed the world on 24/9/22.

I’m back to not trusting them

We haven’t always backed up well
Against our Grand Final opponents quickly.

I’m at my lowest ebb as a supporter.

The players actually get shielded from all the negative stuff and have great support around them to console them.

We cop the brunt of it and I can barely say but I wasn’t playing just wearing my scarf.

I’m back to not trusting them

We haven’t always backed up well
Against our Grand Final opponents quickly.

I’m at my lowest ebb as a supporter.

The players actually get shielded from all the negative stuff and have great support around them to console them.

We cop the brunt of it and I can barely say but I wasn’t playing just wearing my scarf.

yep its shit but just remember days like 93, couldnt win a quarter let alone a game or a final

chin up mate, it gets easier

Disagree.

If Buddy isn’t there, Logan could readily be a 3 goal per game player.
Here is the full, exhaustive list of current AFL players that go at 3 goals per game:

Lance Franklin

So it is extremely unlikely Logan will.

Here is the full, exhaustive list of current AFL players that go at 3 goals per game:

Lance Franklin

So it is extremely unlikely Logan will.

3 is also the number of players who turn up on average for Sydney in grand finals I believe

Yeah definitely, that was a team that gave it 110% in the QF away in Perth, it was always going to be a tough one. Eventually clawed our way to a 2 goal deficit but fell short. Too bad injuries basically ended our 2015 season.

wasthat when sam Reid injured himself in a final ?

all chance lost after that ?

familiar…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep its s**t but just remember days like 93, couldnt win a quarter let alone a game or a final

chin up mate, it gets easier
Spot on Kingy.
One season extra experience for our young blokes with the bonus of Grand Final devastation thrown in at an early stage.
They hopefully won't take things for granted next time.
Perhaps Ladhams can see how selfish actions affect others & not just him.
If these guys are the good guys we trust they are, they will bond even further & help each other get to the next step which may very well only be winning another final & a close GF loss but that was Geelong's lot for the last 10 years. Most importantly they can develop a care & trust for each other for the next 6 or so years & if that delivers another opportunity then we can hope it goes our way.
Selwood said it after the game. These are bloody hard to win.

I hate the posts from Geelong supporters trying to console us.

It just reinforces what a loser I am.

Might mean well but it just jabs the knife in a little deeper for me.
Take heart mate. Life goes on, and life is beautiful.

💯, just so frustrating

I can’t handle people talking about it , frustrating because there right at times

Oh well mate there's an equally disappointing summer of cricket to watch , even though it's a second rate sport.

I have my NFL and NBA Teams who can let me down in the mean time

but it's all part of the sports journey in all seriousness , when we do win the flag it will all be a culmination of a lot as a fan including last week.

I'll sook whinge and feel shit about it with the best of them, but flip side life goes on, wife and kids happy healthy, sun is shining , sure I need three jobs to fuel the car or buy a grape and the world is full of nuts, but life is still good :)

Oh well mate there's an equally disappointing summer of cricket to watch , even though it's a second rate sport.

I have my NFL and NBA Teams who can let me down in the mean time

but it's all part of the sports journey in all seriousness , when we do win the flag it will all be a culmination of a lot as a fan including last week.

I'll sook whinge and feel s**t about it with the best of them, but flip side life goes on, wife and kids happy healthy, sun is shining , sure I need three jobs to fuel the car or buy a grape and the world is full of nuts, but life is still good :)
I went to the nfl gf re match at the new stadium a few weeks back

That game is ****ijg ordinary

Honestly they care about putting on a show between breaks and stoppages more then the game it self

💯, just so frustrating

I can’t handle people talking about it , frustrating because there right at times
Don't forget Punts that they would rather have our squad than theirs.
Yes we lost but we made it as an interstate young team. As long as they use it in the off season I am good with that.
Last year the Cats had their embarrassing loss in the Prelim with very senior players. No excuses there at all.
So at least we had a very young squad who have experienced this pain early in their careers.
I've no doubt Warner for one will come back a ruthless player.

I went to the nfl gf re match at the new stadium a few weeks back

That game is *ijg ordinary

Honestly they care about putting on a show between breaks and stoppages more then the game it self

yeah it's a bit on a slow side , i just keep an eye on it

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back