Autopsy 2022 Rd 23 Choked again. Season Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I really dislike is the peeling off when someone takes a mark.

Pendlebury take the mark in the centre circle. Young is a few metres away. Instead of going and manning the mark to slow Pendlebury down and make him go back to take his kick, he peels off leaving him an easy kick from the spot he marked it with zero pressure.

Game awareness needs to be worked on.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Young lacks awareness big time and tends to not do enough at crucial contests especially late in games … he’s done it on numerous occasions throughout the season …

Our midfield smashed them.

Our system is too easy to slingshot against. We keep getting caught out on the overlap.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Walsh does help with that. How often do you see him gut running to help back defensively. He's almost always the first midfielder back there in the overlap, I don't think I saw one of our mids back there once yesterday.

I think it's a bit harsh to be so critical on Charlie playing on around the corner. He does that every week and it's clearly worked for him previously. It wasn't like there was 1 minute left. Do people complain when Dusty does it? He's won three norm smiths doing it because it clearly works for him.

It is critical. There is should be no difference from playing on and steading 30 seconds and take the same kick you are about to do.

That 30 seconds chews up the clock, allows are defenders have a 30 second breather and set-up behind play. Its a genuine disservice to play on, its not like he was hard stuck on the boundary line on a difficult angle, he was 30 ms out on a slight angle. No reason to play on.

I think it's a bit harsh to be so critical on Charlie playing on around the corner. He does that every week and it's clearly worked for him previously. It wasn't like there was 1 minute left. Do people complain when Dusty does it? He's won three norm smiths doing it because it clearly works for him.

People would be complaining if he did a drop punt from 30m and it fell 10m short or he missed a sitter doing a drop punt because he rushed it. You open yourself up to criticism when you dont execute in front of goal, drop punt or not. They were very easy shots on goal and should have been goals.

why not slow down, take the mark then kick around the corner?

Young lacks awareness big time and tends to not do enough at crucial contests especially late in games … he’s done it on numerous occasions throughout the season …
agree, lacks awareness and is too timid when ball is on the ground. Hopefully these two areas improve, we got a hell a lot more out of him than i expected, he was a player who progressed alot.

I think it's going to be pretty hard for fans to move on if they continue to be focused on this or that individual. Durds is copping a bit but even that late i50 decision could be justified if you look at where Charlie was standing vs Howe in the moment it was kicked - Charlie didn't move and as we know Howe cleaned it up easily.

Now, that's not on Charlie, but it's also absolutely not crazy for Durds to expect a forward to move to that spot
Yep. We also weren't set up for the long kick to the square - Harry was 40m from goal after being missed on the lead. Not sure Durdin has the leg to get it to the goal line, and the Pies were expecting the long kick.

The mistake was missing Harry on the lead. Curnow was boundary side of his opponent as Durdin kicked it, and Durdin would've expected Curnow to push off into the open space for an easy mark. Unfortunately, Curnow didn't react at all and Howe read it instantly off the boot.

agree, lacks awareness and is too timid when ball is on the ground. Hopefully these two areas improve, we got a hell a lot more out of him than i expected, he was a player who progressed alot.
True but those traits do not belong in a key defence post … I’d like to see him tried elsewhere … ruck maybe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right before the first bounce. :pointup: then obviously the 3rd qtr pile on, and then the collingwood fans in the last. would've been an elite game to go to as a neutral.

I know right. When the roars erupted, the stands vibrating was surreal. Best live game I went in years. Maybe this is my level of copium.

Dad and Brother are Doggies supporter, I refuse to return their call or text them back.

The Simpsons Food GIF

Yep. I've got no issue with Curnow snapping from there as it's a higher percentage kick.

The mistake was not taking 30 seconds of the clock while 4 goals up against a Magpies who've got supreme confidence in their ability to come back from behind.

Yep. We also weren't set up for the long kick to the square - Harry was 40m from goal after being missed on the lead. Not sure Durdin has the leg to get it to the goal line, and the Pies were expecting the long kick.

The mistake was missing Harry on the lead. Curnow was boundary side of his opponent as Durdin kicked it, and Durdin would've expected Curnow to push off into the open space for an easy mark. Unfortunately, Curnow didn't react at all and Howe read it instantly off the boot.
Yeah not getting it to Harry was probably the only real mistake, but in this particular situation, Harry's lead was too late for Durdin to adjust (not saying he couldn't or that was in any way Harry's fault, just that Durdin was already looking past him and had completely committed to Curnow in the pocket, erroneously as it turned out).

Gotta say, I'm glad it was Durdin in that situation and not me!

It is critical. There is should be no difference from playing on and steading 30 seconds and take the same kick you are about to do.

That 30 seconds chews up the clock, allows are defenders have a 30 second breather and set-up behind play. Its a genuine disservice to play on, its not like he was hard stuck on the boundary line on a difficult angle, he was 30 ms out on a slight angle. No reason to play on.
Completely agree and that's what a coach would be instructing to do from a textbook. But there must be some sort of reason for him to do it. We've been seeing it all year and the coaches must believe him just trusting his raw talent to swing onto the boot has a greater goal likelihood. I just don't think it was as major reason for the loss as others have been posting in here.

Why not do it the way that's allowed him to kick 64 goals this year?
He's an instinct player. Been pretty solid all year and just happens to have two average games at the wrong time.
If he'd kicked 4.1 and 5.2 the last 2 weeks, nobody would care how he did it.

Therein is part of the problem, though.

Availability is an ability and if he's on the bench needing a break while his man is kicking goals then that's not good enough.

There's not much comfort in doing a great lockdown job 75% of the time and being on the bench for the other 25%, and in that 25% your man kicks 2 goals, including the match winner.
He was only on the bench for one. The mark Elliot took - Stocker had switched on to someone else. WHe I think?

Check the replay
Mckay is in the clear right in front of him
I think he may have been trying to lace mckay and then kicked it well over his head
No i'm fairly sure McKay has already turned or pulled out of the lead. I think he was looking for Charlie to double back into the pocket but Charlie wasn't on the same page.

Check the replay
Mckay is in the clear right in front of him
I think he may have been trying to lace mckay and then kicked it well over his head
Harry's final lead started as Durdin was already running in for the kick - sure, he probably should have spotted Harry, and it was a far easier kick to make than the kick to Curnow (which would've been centimetre perfect had Charlie moved)

That’s assuming Charlie nails the set shot yesterday instead of going for the snap. Which evidence suggested yesterday that he was struggling to kick the drop punt set shots.

I’ve got no issue with Charlie’s quick play on. He’s done it many times before this year and it’s worked. It allows to him to play on instinct and raw talent instead of over-thinking the set shot. He’ll learn when and when not to do it. But I think when you have players as talented as what Curnow is, you need to trust their instinct in those scenarios and let them kick it how they want to kick it. However unconventional that may be.

Yes, he missed. Yes, it hurt us. However three were many other moments outside of that shot which cost us yesterday.

Let the boys shoot how they want to shoot at goal, just need to work on the execution at times.
Agree. Same with Harry's check side that he missed a couple of weeks ago. It's a far easier kick than a drop punt from the same position (assuming a dry ball). Week after week, players miss narrow side from that same spot going the drop punt.

Provided the players can execute it in training at a higher percentage than a drop punt, the club needs to back in the players to take the kick that's more likely to succeed, not the kick the traditionalists insist on because it's always been done that way. We're not playing on the mud heaps of the 80s anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Rd 23 Choked again. Season Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back