Preview 2022 Rd 7 Carlton vs North Melbourne Sat 30th April 7.25PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Update Post #956

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fisher is one of those players that often looks like he's chasing because it's what the coach wants rather than him genuinely wanting to catch the player he's chasing. And he's certainly not alone there in our team. Too harsh?
It’s a bit harsh and I’m not a fan of his but I noticed at the game last weekend how hard he was trying.
Unfortunately probably due to his size and lack of craft I fear he’s just not going to be impactful enough to be a good player.

The reason we have lost games is the weakness on the HFF and wing flanks - last week the opposition had 25%+ more inside 50 entries that had to be defended by the back six - most of the entries came from rebound efforts and turnovers caused in Carlton's forward fifty directly through Carlton's weak underbelly - which has been the outside contingent.

Outside weakness has been recognized by Voss from the get go and we saw in pre-season and early games he has favoured a direct through the corridor attacking plan - which was looking very good when McGovern could play the intercept role and use his kicking ability to straighten up the lines and McDonald was able to handle one of the tall defender roles with some degree of credibility.

With the absence of both Mcs - transitioning play has been severely constrained and has highlighted the weakness of the outside capability of the team in both defensive transition and rebound ability - which has been pretty much zero effectiveness.

Voss is going to have to fix this issue but in the absence of key personnel in talls ( now aggravated by Pittonet's long term injury) the same weaknesses are going to be exposed against any opposition.

Voss has to rely on CBB wins and contested ball dominance to provide enough entries for Harry and Charlie to make enough marks and kicks to deliver a score. This is a very limited game plan against better defensive teams.

Over 4 quarters the better players are run off their feet because the weaker players have done a very poor job of playing their assigned team roles.

A bit of a frustrating situation that Voss is working through - so far this year all of LoB/Fogarty/Fisher/Martin/Setterfield/Cottrel and Newnes have been tried

I cant see much real improvement happening until McGovern and McDonald get back to allow for greater control of the corridor - but finding 2-4 outside alternatives isn't going to be easy with current list - after the bye might see access to a few players currently missing.

There are no credible marking targets to kick to on the flanks or HFF - that has been the problem all year. Williams is a very good kick made to look ordinary because of this. Saad is tucking the ball under his arm and running at every opportunity but again there is no credible outside easy release for him to join up with. Docherty is back to A grade form but again - he has no one to link with.

Stocker should be in firsts but he wont solve the outside problem either. Both Harry and Charlie have to make big runs to present as targets - to make up for this - and if SOJ is absent - it means that the forward line is often left to shorter blokes as direct targets- and we have seen how this doesn't work very well.

Until Calton can run and kick along the boundary as well as go direct in a controlled fashion down the guts- the side won't present much of a challenge to any capable team and every game will be an arm wrestle relying on individual performances rather than system based team success - with too few doing the heavy lifting because they can.
This is such a good summary of where we break down and I wrote as much in the autopsy thread having gone to the Dockers game.

Everyone hangs shit on Williams and Newman (to a lessor degree Saad and Doc) but they genuinely bust their arse defending and counterattacking but the real problem is the half forward line.

Hopefully Jack Silvagni gets up coz he’s a workhorse and whilst his form probably hasn’t warranted it I’d also consider Kemp for Martin who is one of the main culprits for the lack of representation across half forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was Covid why wouldn't they just say it - plenty of players from our club have had it and it was publicly announced

He can regularly take on the opposition...

... And get caught holding the ball....
The most frustrating thing one of our players does. Tries to fend off and break tackles despite having options around him and gets caught holding the ball. I actually get upset when he does it successfully cause I feel it reinforces his thought that it is a good idea

Stock did that run and 360
spin through the midfield so he has pace and Mongrel. I’m on board and hope the selection pans out .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Stocker is a chunky unit now. Calm, confidant, nice kick, but he doesn't look fast in the VFL. Who does he replace? Newman? Parks is playing 3rd. tall, so he's required unless Kemp or Gov steps in.
I'd like to see Dow and Carroll get a game and Cottrell remain. We need legs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back