VFL 2022 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s interesting that Durds and Carroll from two years ago have leap-frogged Philp and Kemp from the year before. Was SOS being too clever, clever with that draft?

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Marchy playing 3 qtrs and looking good is a massive massive tick

Seems like Dow is doing Dow things

Doesn’t seem much else really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mirkov was pretty decent.

Given how thin we are with rucks, will probably play seniors this year, no matter how raw.

Motlop needs a rocket.
Dow 5th season just is not an afl player. He gets pushed around @ VFL level against a non aligned list
Williamson what was he thinking, his undisciplined act changed the momentum Frankston's way.

Didn't mind Motlop at all, was trying to make things happen. He'll be fine.

I think people take the VFL a little too seriously, it's really not a great guide to anything.

Only watched the first three quarters (was only interested in Marchbank) and agree re Motlop. Used his speed and agility to gain space fairly easily and got hands on football. Disposal let him down at times, and also a lack of targets to kick to. Really stood out when pretty much everybody else struggled to gain any space in a ****ing ugly game of football.

If he gets that sort of space in the AFL, he'll have some absolute gun targets.

Didn't mind Motlop at all, was trying to make things happen. He'll be fine.

I think people take the VFL a little too seriously, it's really not a great guide to anything.
Because if our AFL listed players don't perform at that level it isn't a good sign for us

Marchy was great

Williamson is stamping his own papers

Dow seems to think that just getting the ball is enough.

Ditto Setterfield just doesn't seem to have the fire in the belly.

Dow and Setterfield I actually think we should trade before they ruin their currencies too hard

Pffft... We can't expect to keep counting the players who have been disappointing and still be smug enough to end up with egg on our faces when it turns out we don't win after all.

Not as fazed as others by the result.

Willo, I swear he would be a good player at AFL level if given a proper run. He is just suited to the level above imo. I know that doesn't make much sense given what he just offered up but I see him as a good player in a good system.

Marchbank just an amazing return. I'm not even a huge fan of his generally but that was outstanding and I'm excited at the prospect of him coming in and impacting the seniors.

I sort of understand your stance with Willo and I agree he would look better with better players around him, but reminds me of Laverde somewhat

Lacks a short game/finesse and you can't redeploy him as a pure shutdown mid defender as he doesn't read the play that well for the next level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was quite amazing...
I can't fathom how we who were 3rd on the ladder and have as much talent as ours...
Can't stop a run on of 10 unanswered goals to a reserves level team...

Marchbank was fantastic, you can just tell his football brain, vision and skills are so far above anyone that was out there tonight...
Can't wait for him to get through a few more reserves games unscathed and push for seniors...

Not writing Kemp off but not sure what kind of player he turns into. Not big enough to be a key position player but lacks the athleticism and disposal for other roles. He looked quicker in his draft year.

3rd tall interceptor down back probably his best bet but even in that position I would like him to have better disposal. A mile behind Marchbank for that role and he has only played once in 2 years.

Had a night he’d rather forget in the end did Brodie, but hard to judge his progress this year playing in a team where the other talls are JGM, J Cripps, Akeui and maybe Parks. He’s being asked to do too much imo and it’s possibly affecting his confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sort of understand your stance with Willo and I agree he would look better with better players around him, but reminds me of Laverde somewhat

Lacks a short game/finesse and you can't redeploy him as a pure shutdown mid defender as he doesn't read the play that well for the next level
Willow tries to do too much. He never keeps it simple with 1-2s and short movements. Club needs to coach this stuff out of him.

Willow tries to do too much. He never keeps it simple with 1-2s and short movements. Club needs to coach this stuff out of him.
some of these traits seem to always come back under game pressure no matter the coaching like Setters hot potato reaction when he has the ball .. Willow doesn't seem to have a short game just runs wants to go through players and go long -

On reflection, this ugly, scrappy, agro game was very entertaining, It played out like theatre.
On a spooky stormy night, we had the massive underdogs, 'Franga', who didn't look good enough to kick a goal for 3 quarters, verses one of the AFL big boys, Carlton.
Just like theatre, some strange kind of intervention happens, and the 'heroes' kick 10? goals in the final 30 minutes, from all angles and distances. The commentators almost burst a blood vessel and the locals are doing cartwheels.
And there was a story within a story in the first half.
Marchy, the real hero of the show, pretty well BOG in his long awaited comeback game.
Go Blues...go Franga. I now have another fond memory of that place.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2022 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back