VFL 2022 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our collapses seem cultural. Impacts both seniors and ressies
Coughing up big leads and huge momentum swings are a massive part of modern footy and happen to every club, it’s just that a lot of us don’t watch other teams so we only notice when it happens to us

For example just this week alone
- Gold Coast got out to an almost 5 goal lead, coughed it up and then regained their composure to beat Sydney
- Hawks were 25 points in front of the Bombers only to lose by 27 points

Sounds familiar?
Rest assured it’s not just a Carlton thing.

Reviews on Dow are hard to understand. 33 possessions and 2 goals sounds pretty good to me.
You should watch the game.

Whilst he got a lot of possessions and clearances he still looks clueless without the ball (which is largely why he is playing 2s in the first place), both in terms of being able to to win the ball back off opponents or to get involved in the more damaging link up, carry and kick possessions rather than largely ineffective in close handballs (he had 8 kicks and 25 handballs).

Also he couldn’t impact the game when the opposition mounted their charge, although he was no orphan in that regard.

Whilst he got a lot of possessions and clearances he still looks clueless without the ball (which is largely why he is playing 2s in the first place), both in terms of being able to to win the ball back off opponents or to get involved in the more damaging link up, carry and kick possessions rather than largely ineffective in close handballs (he had 8 kicks and 25 handballs).

Also he couldn’t impact the game when the opposition mounted their charge, although he was no orphan in that regard.
I think we were all watching Dow a lot more than any other player, because most of us only know 1/2 dozen out there and he is the point of contention for many on here.
I think your assessment of him is way off, he was really effective and he was in chains at times. I missed the last 10 mins, but what I saw in the last quarter was Mirkov smashing the ball forward to no one, hence him going a bit cold in the last quarter

As a non-Melburnian, every time I saw someone write that Franga had kicked a goal, I found myself doing mental calculations on Anthony Franchina’s age and finding myself amazed that he was still playing VFL 😅

On reflection, this ugly, scrappy, agro game was very entertaining, It played out like theatre.
On a spooky stormy night, we had the massive underdogs, 'Franga', who didn't look good enough to kick a goal for 3 quarters, verses one of the AFL big boys, Carlton.
Just like theatre, some strange kind of intervention happens, and the 'heroes' kick 10? goals in the final 30 minutes, from all angles and distances. The commentators almost burst a blood vessel and the locals are doing cartwheels.
And there was a story within a story in the first half.
Marchy, the real hero of the show, pretty well BOG in his long awaited comeback game.
Go Blues...go Franga. I now have another fond memory of that place.
Good points...it was a weird night that I won’t forget too easily either.

Because Mirkov either thumped it to their HB line or there was a free out of the middle for the 1st 10mins of the quarter, once mirkov woke up, dow had 11 in that final term just no one went with him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Philp, he looks like a headless chook every time I have watched him but he’s not too bad in congestion. I think that’s why he wouldn’t be on a wing and instead play that HF role where he can push up to the contest and where he has strengths rather then staying wide. He is also able to produce that manic pressure we need in the forward half and has the pace to get out the back if he is smart enough.

To put it another way...you would not have know he hadn’t played all that time. It’s like he was never injured and it was just another game. Was truely amazing to see. Credit to him and club.

So thrilled to read that, too. With any luck, he can put together a decent block of games in the twos and work from there into securing a senior spot.

On reflection, this ugly, scrappy, agro game was very entertaining, It played out like theatre.
On a spooky stormy night, we had the massive underdogs, 'Franga', who didn't look good enough to kick a goal for 3 quarters, verses one of the AFL big boys, Carlton.
Just like theatre, some strange kind of intervention happens, and the 'heroes' kick 10? goals in the final 30 minutes, from all angles and distances. The commentators almost burst a blood vessel and the locals are doing cartwheels.
And there was a story within a story in the first half.
Marchy, the real hero of the show, pretty well BOG in his long awaited comeback game.
Go Blues...go Franga. I now have another fond memory of that place.
That free kick against Akuei told me t umpires were going to get them over the line.

Spun the guy around in a horizontal plane and a got pinged for dangerous tackle when it should have been a holding the ball against them.

The resulting shot on goal and goal meant they were within a couple of goals and really coming.

Last edited:
On Philp, he looks like a headless chook every time I have watched him but he’s not too bad in congestion. I think that’s why he wouldn’t be on a wing and instead play that HF role where he can push up to the contest and where he has strengths rather then staying wide. He is also able to produce that manic pressure we need in the forward half and has the pace to get out the back if he is smart enough.
He'd be behind Fisher Carroll Honey Martin and probably Fogarty for that role. Hard to get a look in.

Match report ...

This!
1. Welcome back, Caleb Marchbank. It was an outstanding return to action for the defender, who - in his first game for over a year - amassed 20 disposals in three quarters of game time. The second quarter in particular was where the returning Marchbank proved his wares, amassing 10 disposals for the term and holding up well amid a Frankston barrage of inside 50s. His presence was missed in the final term

I cannot believe the gloomy posts in here.

You guys did see number 22 out there? I can't sit straight with excitement to think a top quality intercepting half back will soon be coming back into the side.... much much sooner than expected.

He looked like he hasn't skipped a beat... in fact he looked better than I remember him.

Salivating at the idea the one day we could* have Marchy and Mitch in the same team marking everything, with Weiters and Young behind them.

*20% chance they'll be not injured at the same time. I'll take that.

The one, and really only one, player out there that looked truly AFL quality was Marchbank. Absolute consistency. Great intercept marks. Many others showed glimpses of what they could do (Dow 1st quarter), but didn't maintain that consistency. Marchbank could play next week in AFL team, and if named, I'd have confidence.

I'm happy that Mirkov's bashing the ball fwd was a total disaster and partly lost us the game.

The coaches will surely have noticed it and had a word to him. Better he learns that lesson now than at AFL level.

If he makes it to AFL level, he'll have times where he's up against a relief ruckman and again has the opportunity to bash fwd at will.

Hopefully he will have learnt to capitalise on the opportunity with great tapwork instead of bashing forward.

If you liked him tapping down the throat of Dow, Fog, Hayes.....Imagine what he can do with the likes of Cripps, Walsh, Hewett and co...

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2022 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back