Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Setterfield won back a lot of my trust and faith today with his fantastic effort and game.

Credit to him and Vossy, swallowed his medicine, being dropped to the VFL, seemed to have worked his backside off and has firmly earned his spot in the 22 again.

Jack Martin will/should have to do something similar too I suspect.q

Our backline and Weiters look a bit more assured and solid with Gov down back .

Really nothing much to grizzle about from my perspective, we got the job done when requires, years gone by we would have blown it.

Greenshoots and all that.

Got the job done.

Our pressure/their ineptitude caused a heap of turnovers & if we’d converted that 5.9 in scores, should have won by a lot more.

Backs were great, (Young had the wobbles) & we kept them to only 14 scoring shots.

Saad was elite, Setters & Honey had good moments, Charlie got his 4, so the world is good.😎👍

+Another 4 points closer to finals.

+Saad, Curnow, JSOS, TDK, Fisher and Newman very good.

+Walsh, Cotters and Harry ok in patches.

I’m just at a loss for this slow build up play throughout the entire first half and much of the 3rd. We break the shackles in the 4th and just blitz them.

The small forwards had 0 impact overall today. Couldn’t tackle, pressure, got no where near the ball and were detrimental to the balance of the team.

As much as I wanted Martin and Owies to earn their spots back, they’ll cake walk back into this team.
The small forwards were disappointing. Motlop has had his turn so back to get his confidence back in the 2's. Durdin does little cameos that show that he will be good. Not convinced Martin is the answer either. On past performances, offers little. Honey is a class below what is needed. Plenty of time for him.

Great to be back on the winners list. I have no words for Saad and Walsh. Jesus...

Can anyone with a trained eye give me their thoughts on our forward structure, including our entries? My worry is it often only looks ok because we have such star pillars, and as we look to finals it concerns me a little.

Up the baggers 💙💙💙

we won. its a good day.

Saad excellent. I like DeKoning around the ground, some sweet disposal there from a big man - plonk him at Centre Half forward when Pitto returns I say. Jack was great. Curnow is a class of his own. Mckay and cripps need to go back to basic drop punts for goal thanks.

Walsh evidently had a new foot attached when he went off or something - lifted when he came back

A wins a win. Never felt we would lose it. Played some bloody ordinary footy at times though.

Some of the usual whipping boys were good. Setterfield played a very good game, plowman was solid, LOB was ok

Too much selfish footy from our stars and bad example to others.

Other than that, take the win and move on. Hopefully Walsh and weitering pull up alright

Sent from my CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small forwards will cop a bit of heat for that game but I'm not sure it's so simple.

That was a really tall GWS defence with just about all of them being capable intercept players. Durdin and Motlop were leading a lot to take their man away from Harry/Charlie. They played a very sacrificial role.
This... GWS has a tall defensive group, our small forwards took their defenders away from contests because the GWS defenders know how dangerous they are reading off the pack. It showed in the last when the small jumped in with a couple of special goals. Brown dropped what he should have marked, and Honey closed ground and kicked nicely off the ground. Durdin sold candy and broke away with some decent speed and put it through the centre.

If people are negative here I expect them to be pilloried because we won.

Not at all satisfied with that performance, we were very poor against very average opposition who are essentially tanking.

Obviously glad to get the result but so much to be concerned about after that.
Some of the comments were strange, especially that we won't make finals

I agree, we were inconsistent with our intent and the way we moved the ball, especially forward of centre. Over handballing in the 1st half. Still plenty to like

The people critical of the small forwards...

Motlop is 18. Durdin is 20. Honey is 20. Of the three, Durdin has played the most games with 19. You're not going to get consistent performances from the most inconsistent positon/role on the ground inside their first 50 games.

We do need Owies back, but let's not kid ourselves. We're still developing, still working out each part of our game and how it all works together.

4 games to go. 2 and a half games clear of Ninthmond.
The tuggers and the mutts play the paddle pops and the handbaggers respectively, if the drug cheats manage to beat the filth today... we're playing finals this year! With a good chance to go deep into September!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 19 Blues shaken but not stirred

Back