Preview 2022 Round 3 Carlton vs Hawthorn Sunday April 3rd 1.10PM @ MCG - Team Post #1413

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlton-vs-Hawthorn.png

Sorry folks. We didn't have anybody to do a preview this week and I thought I would do it myself at late notice, but I really don't have the brain capacity right now.

Obviously the Hawks are in surprisingly good form and Sam Mitchell has them up and about and playing for him. Similarly, we are up and about and playing for Voss.

On paper, we are all over this one. We play a brutal contested game and the Hawks don't exactly have an abundance of pace in the midfield so head to head in the clearances, I fancy our chances. Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra vs Mitchell, O'Meara, young Ward, Newcombe and Nash. Realistically we should be smashing them in that contest, just on body size alone.

The Hawks have been playing a possession game and relying on Mitch Lewis and Jack Gunston up forward. Weitering should take Lewis and Gov is the man for Gunston aerially and pace wise. This leaves McDonald or Young if Oscar doesn't come up, to take the resting ruck. It looks like Zac Williams will get the job on Wingard with Saad and Moore to go head to head as well.

At the other end the Hawks are going to have headaches with Frost likely to take Big H and Sicily to take Charlie. Young Grainger-Barras will have the job on our resting ruck and I'm giving TDK a huge advantage here.

My biggest concern is complacency. We are expected to win unlike the last two weeks, which means it is going to be harder to stay motivated. If we go into the game thinking we will win, we will surely lose. We don't have a great record against the Hawks over the past decade or so, and we owe them a thrashing or 10.

This game more than the previous two will show whether we have the killer instinct that will last us for most of the season. Have we stored up enough hurt to be determined not to lose any game? I know the supporters have.

Blues by 40

Last edited:

Out: McDonald (inj), Fogarty, Plowman, Newman (medical sub for mine)
In: Cerra, Martin, Young
Not convinced Martin comes straight back in after the performance of our mids tonight - maybe Cerra for Fogarty, with the extra mid rotating forward.

I thought Newman was good

I would say Cerra, Martin, Young for Fog, OMac, Durdin or Owies
Durdin good last week, Owies decent tonight. Either would be stiff to lose out to Martin, who was poor for 3/4 last week. But nice problem to have.

Not convinced Martin comes straight back in after the performance of our mids tonight - maybe Cerra for Fogarty, with the extra mid rotating forward.

Inclined to agree.

Don't think Voss is going to be beholden to starting Martin just cause we're paying him plenty.

Fog out for Cerra, Kennedy probably gets a little more forward time.

Young for OMac if necessary.

Martin the sub - can plug him into any line as needed.

No other changes unless there's a mid-week injury or Covid case.

OUT: Newman, McDonald (inj), Pittonet, Fisher/Fogarty, Plowman

IN: Williamson/Dow, Young, Cerra, Martin/Dow

I think we need more mobility, and we've got personnel options to inject that through an extra midfield number, or from either end of the ground.

Fisher vs Fogarty is a toss-up for mine, with Fogarty able to play more roles, particularly forward roles.

Dow vs Williamson is a question of which direction we want to go in with Walsh: defensive wing primarily, or moving into the stoppage looks more.

I'm even 50/50 on Martin, and keen to see if Dow can shake things up when we start to get challenged at centre bounces.

I thought Newman was good

I would say Cerra, Martin, Young for Fog, OMac, Durdin or Owies

He pushes so many passes and puts us under pressure. How many of his disposals were kickouts? He was okay but who else do we drop? Our forward 50 pressure is a huge part of our game. I don't think we can drop Durdin or Owies.

You may be right. Nobody really deserves to be dropped.

He pushes so many passes and puts us under pressure. How many of his disposals were kickouts? He was okay but who else do we drop? Our forward 50 pressure is a huge part of our game. I don't think we can drop Durdin or Owies.

Young for Omac, who do you bring in as the 7th defender for Newman. Unless Hewett goes back there with Cerra returning? Seems a waste though

Young for Omac, who do you bring in as the 7th defender for Newman. Unless Hewett goes back there with Cerra returning? Seems a waste though

I'd have him as sub. Maybe Martin can be the sub?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five changes from a 2-0 side that just fixed up last years GF side? I doubt it.

Pittonet is playing, 100%. He and TDK is working.

McDonald for Young makes sense.
Cerra comes in for just about anyone, but likely Fog or maybe LOB.

Anything after that is optional.

Vossy was big on cohesion for the back 7, think they’ll stick fat with the current mix. If OMAC is out, Young comes in. See how the VFL goes tomorrow.
Plowman the smokey to replace Newman or OMAC. Gunston the matchup.
Rider: OMAC, fix your kicking, son. Shizen efforts again.

Wait and see on OMac's back, but Young is an obvious inclusion if required.

Cerra is an automatic inclusion, obviously, with Fogarty most at risk (although he was serviceable).

We really didn't get much from Durdin today, which is disappointing, it would be harsh to drop him after a reasonably strong round 1. Needs to do more than 9 pressure acts, that's for sure.

Where to fit Martin? Are the MC ruthless enough to drop one of Owies/Durdin? Maybe.

In: Cerra, Young, Martin
Out: Fogarty, OMac, Durdin (so sorry, but 6 disposals, 9 pressure acts and 1 disposal is not good)

Pending VFL game and injury reports.

We should be putting the Hawks to the sword and gaining some percentage, but take nothing for granted, just want another win.

Last edited:
Wait and see on OMac's back, but Young is an obvious inclusion if required.

Cerra is an automatic inclusion, obviously, with Fogarty most at risk (although he was serviceable).

We really didn't get much from Durdin today, which is disappointing, it would be harsh to drop him after a reasonably strong round 1. Needs to do more than 9 pressure acts, that's for sure.

Where to fit Martin? Are the MC ruthless enough to drop one of Owies/Durdin? Maybe.

In: Cerra, Young
Out: Fogarty, OMac

Pending VFL game and injury reports.

We should be putting the Hawks to the sword and gaining some percentage, but take nothing for granted, just want another win.

I’ve got the same as you.

Out: Fog, OMac (inj)

I don’t see who makes way for Martin at this stage. He may well have to come in as the sub, or even through the 2’s.

Five changes from a 2-0 side that just fixed up last years GF side? I doubt it.

Pittonet is playing, 100%. He and TDK is working.

McDonald for Young makes sense.
Cerra comes in for just about anyone, but likely Fog or maybe LOB.

Anything after that is optional.
Four changes from the 22, with the sub dropping out.

TDK and Pittonet are not working. Pittonet wasn't really doing much resting forward, and TDK wasn't staying in the game consistently, with our forward pressure falling away a bit as the game dragged on.

Put that together with English figuring out that he could just play off Pittonet at the centre bounce, and you've 2 slots in the team effectively performing like 1.25 players.

I'd like to raise that number, get TDK where he can currently perform in this line-up, and just have Young (D50 stoppage), McKay (forward half stoppage), and JSOS/Kennedy (run-with/general stoppages). The centre bounces might be a little tricky, but I think the weaknesses introduced for say 5-8 centre bounces a game is worth the reward.

I’ve got the same as you.

Out: Fog, OMac (inj)

I don’t see who makes way for Martin at this stage. He may well have to come in as the sub, or even through the 2’s.

I think he'll get the preferential treatment and someone like Durdin will make way. Durdin was really disappointing, he's young and will get better, but Martin is a safer bet at this stage.

We pay him too much and he has too much talent to play reserves or be the sub.

I think we need more mobility, and we've got personnel options to inject that through an extra midfield number, or from either end of the ground.

Fisher vs Fogarty is a toss-up for mine, with Fogarty able to play more roles, particularly forward roles.

Dow vs Williamson is a question of which direction we want to go in with Walsh: defensive wing primarily, or moving into the stoppage looks more.

I'm even 50/50 on Martin, and keen to see if Dow can shake things up when we start to get challenged at centre bounces.

Fisher, Pitto, Newman won't be dropped

Cerra, Martin, Young -- OMac, Fog, Durdin or Owies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back