Preview 2022 Round 3 Carlton vs Hawthorn Sunday April 3rd 1.10PM @ MCG - Team Post #1413

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin doesn't have their endurance, so he is not playing on a wing

Personally, I would have Martin replace one of Owies or Durdin, but Martin can play a number of roles, so as a sub it makes sense
I agree the wings should not be dropped so I actually think Fisher is the one who could be at risk to come out if we decide to pick Martin.
Durdin and Owies apply better pressure than Fisher, which given how Hawthorn like to transition out of defense, I think will be important.
Martin is also more dangerous than Fisher so he will command more attention which will make it hard for Scrimshaw or CJ to leave him to help Frost and Grainger Barras with McKay and Curnow.
Fisher's midfield minutes get taken by having Walsh and Cerra both available.
I also wouldn't mind seeing SOS matched to Sicily for that same reason, possibly even go for a full negating role on Sicily who IMO is their best & most important player.

Don’t get me wrong - well done to the Hawks on winning their first two games. No what anyone expected and it’s a great start under Mitchell.

HOWEVER, I don’t think these wins have been as impressive as what they seem from the outset…

Hawks lost the clearance count against North.

They also lost the clearances vs Port, as well as contested possessions (only just won them vs North).

This is where we can hurt them as it’s been our strength thus far this year. We need to beat them at the contest and then move the ball quickly forward to our potent forward line.

They’ve conceded 50+ I50s in both their games this year & so getting the ball in to our F50 SHOULD be relatively easy.

They’ve won the hitouts in both weeks so we need Pitto/ TDK to fire.

They are relatively effective going forward. 27% of the their i50s result in a mark i50 (compared to 18% for us). We’ll need our backline to be on-point this week and even though O’Mac is a key omission I think Weiters will play more of a key role this week vs first 2 rounds so not as concerned here. Perhaps Willo to come in for O’Mac (for their forward line, I would prefer him coming in as a medium-sized defender, instead of another tall coming in).

If we stick to the fundamentals this week, we should win this game:
  • Work back hard in numbers & slow their ball movement
  • Move the ball forward with pace
  • Win the hard-ball & clearances

If we do all of that, should be Blues by 27 points (conservative margin). Whilst our history against this team scares the shit out of me, the margin really should be more (7-goals plus).

Yep

Never underestimate the Dawks, the comparison to Sydney is in the entrenched culture and established IP - if they get ruthless at this year's draft & trade period they'll be back in contention in 2-3 years
So true -- Hawthorn geelong WC Sydney have all shown what a Strong United club can do over sustained period.

I agree the wings should not be dropped so I actually think Fisher is the one who could be at risk to come out if we decide to pick Martin.
Durdin and Owies apply better pressure than Fisher, which given how Hawthorn like to transition out of defense, I think will be important.
Martin is also more dangerous than Fisher so he will command more attention which will make it hard for Scrimshaw or CJ to leave him to help Frost and Grainger Barras with McKay and Curnow.
Fisher's midfield minutes get taken by having Walsh and Cerra both available.
I also wouldn't mind seeing SOS matched to Sicily for that same reason, possibly even go for a full negating role on Sicily who IMO is their best & most important player.

Perception can be interesting at times. Leaving Walsh out for a moment, who had 33 pressure acts against the Dogs, Fisher is equal first with Cripps with an average of 23 PA. Owies 10.5, Durdin 12, while averaging similar goal and score involvements

Fisher has some very solid numbers over the first 2 games, I can't see him being removed from the starting 22 at this stage

Last edited:
You are the one that started the polemic against what Hawthorn is doing- I agree with you, Carlton has no right or form on conducting a rebuild in an optimal manner- at least Hawthorn have a decent coach in place and also are unlikely to dump him because some membership sales guy decides that is a good idea.

Not sure if I was that strong in my condemnation of the Hawks (list).

However, I love the use of that word...

I will use that at the start of my summation IF we belt them...

Were not playing for Clarko now. An Blues are build just like us, i see the two teams as being on par at this stage for 2022.
Oh Reilly?
Come back when you've also beaten Dees
Tigs
Dogs.
:cool::D

Would be very surprised if Fish got dropped. He’s a great link between defence and deep attack. Not sure Martin has the productivity for that role as he is better suited within 60m of goal imo.

Were not playing for Clarko now. An Blues are build just like us, i see the two teams as being on par at this stage for 2022.

Hmmm, not so sure

I like your KPP players, really like them, while your midfield bats deepish, I think it needs some more impact players. I think it needs to be reassessed, once you transition from your older types, 28+, but the younger talent looks good

After what we've had to put up with our rebuild for 10 years, I don't understand how these Hawk fans don't reassess their list and realise they have no top end talent coming through...

Its going to be a basket case unless they cut their list deep...

I digress!
Nup. They are behind us, but doing a great job building on the run. Plenty of solid blokes from their VFL may never be stars, but will be solid pieces until kids go past them. Underestimate at your/our peril.

Will need a couple of pillars midfield and forward to emerge for the long term, but basket case they are not or will not be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be very surprised if Fish got dropped. He’s a great link between defence and deep attack. Not sure Martin has the productivity for that role as he is better suited within 60m of goal imo.
He is not being dropped.
Fantasy land stuff.

Hmmm, not so sure

I like your KPP players, really like them, while your midfield bats deepish, I think it needs some more impact players. I think it needs to be reassessed, once you transition from your older types, 28+, but the younger talent looks good
Our midfield is our weakness, but we have a lot of promosing young guys learning there craft now.

I am a big fan of your Silvangi, Walsh, Kemp and Stocker. Dow seems to be a miss for the blues. Cerra and Walsh will be a force.

I know the Hawks are not premiership favourite and we could end up down the bottom again as our blend is not right. How ever i am happy to enjoy the moment whilst it last.

How ever this game Blues V Hawks is seriously up grabs by either team.

I feel some here think think the blues only have to turn up to win. Which is far from the truth, Hawks confidence is up and the blues new recruits seem to have blended really nicely. I think it will be a close game and one we will all watch right to the end.

Perception can be interesting at times. Leaving Walsh out for a moment, who had 33 pressure acts against the Dogs, Fisher is equal first with Cripps with an average of 23 PA. Owies 10.5, Durdin 12, while averaging similar goal and score involvements

Fisher has some very solid numbers over the first 2 games, I can't see him being removed from the starting 22 at this stage
It's also a sum of the parts discussion. You don't flirt with winning combinations a great deal. Fisher has popped up in both games at crucial moments and slotted goals (1 each game) when needed. Pitto has been great, really stood out last Thurs. (Not that he is in the drop discussion just a random observation) Setters however also not a massive numbers game, or neon lights performance but has got the job done well in a few crucial moments and generally has been accountable and gone when its his turn to go. Owies and Durdin's pressure and running up front has been strong also, Durdin just needs continued games. Same could be argued for Owies, however one could be in the cross hairs. One obvious one for me was Plow looked a mile out of his depth when he came on and Fog will make way for Cerra. Re Martin's out tough to say but wont be Fisher.

I think you lot have forgotten you have been down the bottom of the ladder for the last 20 odd years 😂😂😂😂.

At least i know where the Hawks are in there rebuild.

All balanced supporters from all clubs have a reasonable understanding of where their clubs have come from and what it looks like in the now.

Over those 20 years, we were arrogant/negligent with how we approached the draft/list management. We were still caught up with quick fixes that only produced yoyo results. That changed in 2015, which was more akin to purging the list, while endeavouring to start a rebuild

Your club also went through an era of struggling, 17 years, without the ultimate success, ours of course a little longer

Our midfield is our weakness, but we have a lot of promosing young guys learning there craft now.

I am a big fan of your Silvangi, Walsh, Kemp and Stocker. Dow seems to be a miss for the blues. Cerra and Walsh will be a force.

I know the Hawks are not premiership favourite and we could end up down the bottom again as our blend is not right. How ever i am happy to enjoy the moment whilst it last.

I feel some here think think the blues only have to turn up to win. Which is far from the truth, Hawks confidence is up and the blues new recruits seem to have blended really nicely. I think it will be a close game and one we will all watch right to the end.

It seems there are some supporters from both clubs that think similar.

All balanced supporters from all clubs have a reasonable understanding of where their clubs have come from and what it looks like in the now.

Over those 20 years, we were arrogant/negligent with how we approached the draft/list management. We were still caught up with quick fixes that only produced yoyo results. That changed in 2015, which was more akin to purging the list, while endeavouring to start a rebuild

Your club also went through an era of struggling, 17 years, without the ultimate success, ours of course a little longer

I award the diplomacy.

This game Blues V Hawks is seriously up grabs by either team.

Belting Port last week might have done us a favour. I can't see us being complacent with you guys coming off a result like that.

This game Blues V Hawks is seriously up grabs by either team.

:rolleyes:

3v6wd.gif

It seems there are some supporters from both clubs that think similar.
Well they'd be crazy to think that as well, if we fail to show the blues respect on the field game day we will be flogged.

Even though your ahead in your rebuild given were both teams are in the present season, i feel were on par for this game. Good luck for season 2022, just not this sunday 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back