Preview 2022 Round 3 Carlton vs Hawthorn Sunday April 3rd 1.10PM @ MCG - Team Post #1413

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t get me wrong - well done to the Hawks on winning their first two games. No what anyone expected and it’s a great start under Mitchell.

HOWEVER, I don’t think these wins have been as impressive as what they seem from the outset…

Hawks lost the clearance count against North.

They also lost the clearances vs Port, as well as contested possessions (only just won them vs North).

This is where we can hurt them as it’s been our strength thus far this year. We need to beat them at the contest and then move the ball quickly forward to our potent forward line.

They’ve conceded 50+ I50s in both their games this year & so getting the ball in to our F50 SHOULD be relatively easy.

They’ve won the hitouts in both weeks so we need Pitto/ TDK to fire.

They are relatively effective going forward. 27% of the their i50s result in a mark i50 (compared to 18% for us). We’ll need our backline to be on-point this week and even though O’Mac is a key omission I think Weiters will play more of a key role this week vs first 2 rounds so not as concerned here. Perhaps Willo to come in for O’Mac (for their forward line, I would prefer him coming in as a medium-sized defender, instead of another tall coming in).

If we stick to the fundamentals this week, we should win this game:
  • Work back hard in numbers & slow their ball movement
  • Move the ball forward with pace
  • Win the hard-ball & clearances

If we do all of that, should be Blues by 27 points (conservative margin). Whilst our history against this team scares the shit out of me, the margin really should be more (7-goals plus).
There are clearances and then there are clearances that are damaging. In the 1st quarter and half against North we were allowing clean breaks from clearances, if we allow that to happen again this week we will get smashed by 10+ goals. Since then we haven't allowed those despite losing the clearances. Against Port we brought enough pressure in the contest that most if not all were scrappy disposals or high bombs which feed into our strengths in the backline. If we do that again this week we will give ourselves a chance despite a likely loss in the centre square. Carlton will be a much tougher challenge though

I think we will blitz their midfield, but what happens if we are the hunted and they go really defence and pressure oriented? This could be the test here.

Imo the old one on one in the midfield could come out in an attempt to apply pressure and stop our handball game. I'm expecting them to show our midfield a lot more respect and apply defensive pressure and play close rather than our previous opposition who probably went a more head to head, play their own game style against us.

We won't fail where Port did. Their defence and attack was poor. Our backline is smarter and stronger. Our forward line is far more potent. We can make their defenders defend, no intercepting and running off.

The only way we lose is if our effort and standards drop.

Last edited:

I think you lot have forgotten you have been down the bottom of the ladder for the last 20 odd years 😂😂😂😂.

At least i know where the Hawks are in there rebuild.

I think you have forgotten which Board you are on!

Well they'd be crazy to think that as well, if we fail to show the blues respect on the field game day we will be flogged.

Even though your ahead in your rebuild given were both teams are in the present season, i feel were on par for this game. Good luck for season 2022, just not this sunday 👍
Unless I'm misreading it, I think you are misreading what Arrow said. I'm pretty sure he's saying that there are plenty of Hawthorn supporters that think all Carlton need to do is to turn up to win (in addition to the many Carlton supporters that do).

Well they'd be crazy to think that as well, if we fail to show the blues respect on the field game day we will be flogged.

Even though your ahead in your rebuild given were both teams are in the present season, i feel were on par for this game. Good luck for season 2022, just not this sunday 👍
I'm not sure if Arrow was calling me 'unbalanced' but I assume he knows I am a thoughtful supporter.
My reasons for what you may have taken as 'just show up and we'll win' were with foundation.
We have beaten some really great sides. We fought hard and won. I'm pointing out that your team have played Port and North. Port had no forward line. So it might look like your Hawks are going really well, and in your view we are on par.
I 'm saying there is no proof for that yet. I like your style under Sam. I do. But we will see where you are really at on Sunday. Sports odds back up my thoughts too.
We are not on par. Not yet.
Best of luck.
We'll find out.

Unless I'm misreading it, I think you are misreading what Arrow said. I'm pretty sure he's saying that there are plenty of Hawthorn supporters that think all Carlton need to do is to turn up to win (in addition to the many Carlton supporters that do).
Nah. Didn't read it that way Kenny.

I hope we pluck the plucky Hawkes
Show them there are levels to this game
Continue to build an aura of ruthlessness and uncompromising Grit
No complacency just some periods of tempo footy and back to working as cohesive unit that executes its kicks and running handball game
That our midfield grinds them we win each quarter by 3 goals for a 10-12 goal win

Because we do mate. Lazy take.

Just because one rebuild takes 10 years doesn't mean they all do.

We are enjoying the season and watching this 'non existent top end talent' coming through but most of us are under no illusions. North are shit and we out ran Port and played out of our skins

Carlton are probably 2 or 3 years ahead of us in their rebuild and these are the teams that will trouble the hawks the most this year, so I strongly doubt we will win this week. In fact with a young inconsistent team, it might get ugly, the midfield will prove to be the difference.

Good luck this year, I honestly believe Carlton are bound for top 4 and I'm kind of hoping it happens so my poor old Dad can finally have some fun watching footy again!

Ease up on the stupid takes though dude. If you don't really know what you are on about, sometimes it's better to stay silent lest you out yourself as ignorant.
You look lost to be honest .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will blitz their midfield, but what happens if we are the hunted and they go really defence and pressure oriented? This could be the test here.

Imo the old one on one in the midfield could come out in an attempt to apply pressure and stop our handball game. I'm expecting them to show our midfield a lot more respect and apply defensive pressure and play close rather than our previous opposition who probably went a more head to head, play their own game style against us.

We won't fail where Port did. Their defence and attack was poor. Our backline is smarter and stronger. Our forward line is far more potent. We can make their defenders defend, no intercepting and running off.

The only way we lose is if our effort and standards drop.

Agree we should win, but the times when Richmond and Dogs got on top of us was when the game was more open and they were switching the ball to the open side and moving the ball quickly.

Well, that is exactly how the Hawks are playing right now with their transition out of defence. So we will have to be switched on.

Hawks played well last week and I dont mean to undersell their victory, but they came up against a massively undermanned Port.

Ports probably 2 best forwards in Dixon and Fantasia
2 very good backmen in Aliir and Clurey.
Then you add Gray to the mix and Port were always going to struggle.

I think Hawthorn will test us but feel we should beat them easily in the midfield and will run out winners

And here's another one lost ..

There’s a few Hawks supporters posting here which I have no problem with, until they start sniping and the whole thread becomes who does rebuilds the best.*

Anyway, I have no idea who we will be dropping. But my gut tells me that it will be Setters.

So Cerra, Martin, Lewis for Fog, Setters, OMac.

* Are we more accomodating of oppo supporters than the other Boards?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope we pluck the plucky Hawkes
Show them there are levels to this game
Continue to build an aura of ruthlessness and uncompromising Grit
No complacency just some periods of tempo footy and back to working as cohesive unit that executes its kicks and running handball game
That our midfield grinds them we win each quarter by 3 goals for a 10-12 goal win
Think their feathers will be all around the midfield after what we do to them that arvo.

Must say, there's so much confidence/arrogance in here, it's so refreshing. None of this "we need to be careful" or "not sure about this game"... just straight out "we got this!"

It's because of the way we've been playing that gives us this confidence. It's not being hopeful, it's become expected.

It's been the greatest 2 and half weeks of arrongance that I can remember (didn't appreciate it in the 90s). I just can't imagine the level come say round 8-9.

Let it out. Don't let anyone shame you. This arrogance is built on 150 years of success... we've been hiding it the last 20 years but it's been busting to get out. Let the rest of the comp remember just how much they hate us!

There’s a few Hawks supporters posting here which I have no problem with, until they start sniping and the whole thread becomes who does rebuilds the best.*

Anyway, I have no idea who we will be dropping. But my gut tells me that it will be Setters.

So Cerra, Martin, Lewis for Fog, Setters, OMac.

* Are we more accomodating of oppo supporters than the other Boards?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Exactly ,it's when the pricks get disrespectful and potting our posters on our board. .
Yeah I have no idea but someone will be unlucky to be dropped. Both Setters and Lob have been playing good footy and both deserve to stay in .

I have no idea what goes on other boards, I don't have the time really ,I don't mind going for a look on autopsy threads just for the melts lol..

Must say, there's so much confidence/arrogance in here, it's so refreshing. None of this "we need to be careful" or "not sure about this game"... just straight out "we got this!"

It's because of the way we've been playing that gives us this confidence. It's not being hopeful, it's become expected.

It's been the greatest 2 and half weeks of arrongance that I can remember (didn't appreciate it in the 90s). I just can't imagine the level come say round 8-9.

Let it out. Don't let anyone shame you. This arrogance is built on 150 years of success... we've been hiding it the last 20 years but it's been busting to get out. Let the rest of the comp remember just how much they hate us!
Two wins and people start trotting this stuff out. Fair dinkum.

I think if both sides are playing their best footy, we will beat you comfortably

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back