Preview 2022 Round 3 Carlton vs Hawthorn Sunday April 3rd 1.10PM @ MCG - Team Post #1413

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that Hawks have won two but seriously if we cant beat this list by at least 4 goals and control the game I would be surprised.

I'll be happy with any win given what I saw last week.

We should know as well as anyone the impact a different coach can have. Sam Mitchell was an assistant at WC in 2018 and they won the flag. He left to Hawthorn after that and they've looked average ever since. He's now got Hawthorn playing exciting, confident footy just like Voss is with us.

Yes our list definitely has a better age profile, Hawks have a bunch of oldies and kids. But they have some A grade players. Breust/McEvoy/Gunston/Wingard/Mitchell/JOM/Sicily are playing pretty well and they've all torched us in the past. So far some of the kids are playing well.

My opinion on the Rd3 changes:

Cerra in for Fogarty. Easy decision. Fog was OK and is OK depth.
Young in for McDonald. Easy decision. McGov must stay as an interceptor, not a KPD.

Martin in for a bit of an unlucky Owies. Owies doesn't deserve to be dropped, but he also hasn't done enough to be spared from demotion. I don't think we'll drop the wingers, and even though Durdin is about on par with Owies for output imo, he adds more in a few areas. Martin is better than all and pressure isn't his weak suit, so can provide that as well as some marks and goals and tough hits. Owies is ready when needed again.

Sub could be anyone.

We're looking strong and with more quality players preparing too. Just need to keep Weitering healthy enough to play every week, or at least nearly every week.
Owies is close to our best kick in and around 50 imo - lowers the eyes and hits bullet passes. Also comes across as a smart player.

He and Durdin appear to have already built a connection and linking well. Selection is tight no doubt but I'm hoping to see them both given a bit longer to see what develops.

It's tricky to back up with a younger team, but the Hawks key parts aren't that young. Mitchell, O'Meara, Sicily, Hardwick, McEvoy, Frost, Gunston, Breust, Phillips, Wingard are all older than 25; Mitchell Lewis is halfway to 24, Dylan Moore halfway to 23, and James Worpel turned 23 two months ago. Their 22 features some extremely young players, but they're surrounded by some incredible quality and some gap fillers. To my mind, Impey if out would be a bigger out if Clarkson was coaching; he needed that type of footballer to sit exactly 20m off a stoppage and receive a forward handball and burst away. Gunston's an evergreen sort of player, Breust was slowing down a bit last year but still has a bit of life yet.

You need to sit someone on Sicily, he sets them up from the back half. I'd start Hewitt on O'Meara, with Cripps standing next to Mitchell at the stoppages; Mitchell's perfectly welcome to try and get it first, and I'd tell Cripps that if he does he should absolutely nail him and nail him often. Theoretically, they could try something tricky like starting someone like Hardwick on Saad, but they're not really at the stage in which funnybuggers is worthwhile; better for the development of the young blokes if there's someone they're familiar with and who is senior standing next to them shouting out the gameplan.

Grainger-Barass is someone I wanted in his draft year, but we should theoretically be able to exploit him by resting TDK forward. Sicily is so outsized to be absurd manning Harry (Charlie would drag him upfield, which could suit them a bit if he starts to find a bit of the pill) so it'd be Frost. Frost is an interesting one; he's a bit of a stuff-it-up bloke sometimes, but so was Oscar at Melbourne so maybe it's something in the water at Casey that leaves them unable to develop their own KPD. He will be surrendering almost 10cm on Harry, so even then it's not an ideal matchup. They could try G-B, but that's a mean thing to do to a developing player in their first season; he could certainly be up to it, but Harry's not playing round anymore. If TDK can get himself a few shots and nail them - which is the part he struggles with - that sets their back 6 into a bit of disarray; they could potentially send Gunston behind the ball to compensate, but that's robbing Peter to pay Paul, and Peter's charging interest. If you really wanted to throw the fox in the henhouse, have a minutely different stoppage setup and have Cripps floating around half forward as a fourth marking tall or a third if TDK's rucking.

I'll be interested to see if we can get that referred pressure thing going against them that we had on both Richmond and the Dogs. We're still not a high tackling side, but upon opponent extraction or possession we certainly make it seem like we are. They relied on pinpoint disposal to cut through Port last week, but you're not going to win many games of footy with 46 entries inside 50. We can certainly deny them possession, as we've got our own possession game this season, complemented by our contested ball/clearance dominance.

The way I see this playing out is, we come out and hit them hard. We dominate contested ball and the clearances for the first one and a half-two terms. They claw ascendancy back in the third, before we kick comfortably away in the last. The difference between a comfortable 20 point win and a ten goal smashing indicate how the coaching have responded to winning two on the trot and how the players are managing the changing expectation.

Let's be abundantly clear: the Hawks had a day out last week. Their side might be a fading one, but they still have a number of premiership footballers, a brownlow medalist and several genuine workhorses. We can outrun them and we can outmuscle them, but who knows if we will. I have zero faith this year, and I don't know if I will start to develop it by round 10 if we don't lose between now and then; we've seen 2-0 before. This side might be better rounded than 2011, but they've also come from a good deal further back.

The first two games were statements: we can and we are prepared to beat the best and the rest. This game is a warning, either to us as fans or to the competition at large. We either will continue to be mentally fragile, lacking belief or conviction, and the ghost of Clarkson will linger over this team, or we will clinically and systematically eviscerate their game as the relic of 2014 it is and make an example of them and of us that we are not what we once were.

Carlton by ten goals.

On that lid, Blues supporters should be rightfully overjoyed and frothing with excited anticipation.

But can’t think of a better person than Voss to temper the playing group from getting ahead of themselves. As a coach, he’ll know the pain of unfulfilled expectation: Brisbane in 2010 (after starting 4-0 & then finishing 4th last), and the recent Port preliminary finals.

Voss knows the team has a long way to go and he’ll have them focused on the long game. I’m hoping he steels them with the drive to not get caught up in the immediate triumphs but yearn for the long term and premiership success that he experienced as a player. That is lasting.

So, let’s continue the journey by smashing the Hawks. Time to rebalance the ledger.

If you look at both sides on paper we should be winning this game and quite easily... However, it's amazing what confidence can do for a team like the Hawks. You can't not respect them. I will say their midfield hasn't quite been dominant and they will need to beat us in the middle to win. Lewis wouldn't have kicked 5 if Port actually had Aliir playing (imagine if he never left Sydney they would be ridiculously good) also not having Dixon is a massive structural change for them. I don't think their defence is good enough to hold down both Harry and Charlie all day especially with TDK floating there too... like I said on paper we should win but they are clearly better than we thought they would be. Only time will tell.. Cerra back makes it very difficult for their midfield. Their supporters say tag Walsh all day but I am not sure he will be the biggest threat. Gunston is clearly our biggest problem.

Obviously it’s your opinion but I must have been watching another game last week if your dropping Fish.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I just think he has a bit to work on. It's a great problem to have anyway, blokes competing for spots .. not just thinking they're an automatic lock for any position. I can't remember a time that we had this problem.

We should know as well as anyone the impact a different coach can have. Sam Mitchell was an assistant at WC in 2018 and they won the flag. He left to Hawthorn after that and they've looked average ever since. He's now got Hawthorn playing exciting, confident footy just like Voss is with us.

Yes our list definitely has a better age profile, Hawks have a bunch of oldies and kids. But they have some A grade players. Breust/McEvoy/Gunston/Wingard/Mitchell/JOM/Sicily are playing pretty well and they've all torched us in the past. So far some of the kids are playing well.
And your point?
:joycat: :roflv1::laughv1:

I wouldn't call McEvoy, Wingard or JOM A graders. On their day, the latter two arguably....but JOM's a bit like Shiel like imo.

Wingard has been ordinary, on the whole, since moving east.

Mitchell, yes, kind of.

Siciliy I rate highly (even if a nutter).

In : Young, Martin, Cerra
Out : McDonald, Fogarty, O’Brien

Docherty Young McGovern
Williams Weitering Saad
Walsh Cripps Setterfield
Martin Curnow Durdin
Owies McKay TDK

Pittonet Hewett Cerra

Silvagni Kennedy Fisher Newman

We win comfortably …

LOB won’t be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wonder with the midfield strength that we have now if Dow (when and if he comes in) could improve as he’ll be the 5 or 6th mid.He won’t get the attention that he may have in the past and ‘may’ just flourish.

Not sure just a thought.

I just wonder with the midfield strength that we have now if Dow (when and if he comes in) could improve as he’ll be the 5 or 6th mid.He won’t get the attention that he may have in the past and ‘may’ just flourish.

Not sure just a thought.

Worth a try at some stage. He has talent, that is obvious and is good enough to play at the top level. I think his confidence was shattered early days, hopefully with the strongest leader of the last 20 years in Vossy, Dow can find his belief again...

Not sure just a thought.

Being the 5th or 6th mid, he would need to be able to play other roles, which he can't

As stated previously, unless there are injuries to 2 of Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra, Walsh, Dow will struggle to get a look in

Hi All,

Looking forward to this Sundays game. We owe the Hawks a bit.

Question 1:
My biggest worry, who goes to Gunston and Breust? They've torched us in the past.

I'm thinking Young and Newman..

Question 2:

I was wondering if anyone has gone to any of the 2 games we've played this year and managed to listen to the footy live on their phone?

If you have, could you please tell me which app I should use.

Morning Baggers, unable to attend the Sunday game so looking for a good home - 2 x free GA tix via our membership. Pls PM me for details... first in can have them and will update post once tix have gone. Thanks and go Blues!

EDIT: Tickets gone thanks, all.

Last edited:
I just think he has a bit to work on. It's a great problem to have anyway, blokes competing for spots .. not just thinking they're an automatic lock for any position. I can't remember a time that we had this problem.
He was kicking proficiently on his non preferred
His kicking for goal has improved

Hi All,

Looking forward to this Sundays game. We owe the Hawks a bit.

Question 1:
My biggest worry, who goes to Gunston and Breust? They've torched us in the past.

I'm thinking Young and Newman..

Question 2:

I was wondering if anyone has gone to any of the 2 games we've played this year and managed to listen to the footy live on their phone?

If you have, could you please tell me which app I should use.
Wouldn't Young go to either McEvoy or Reeves - whoever is resting in the forward line?

Gunston is only 193cm, would've though McGovern would be the better match up there.

Too late to add Jed Lamb to our top-up list, fudge some positive results for all the ressies, and send Jed straight to Sicily?

Dows uncontested and forward work has been much improved this year in the 2s

No it hasn't, spent next to no time out of the guts last week and when he did, was mostly unsighted as a forward and is still getting lost in open play away from a stoppage

Yes he had 30 odd touches in a VFL game, (all our starting mids are doing that at AFL level), but has no clear 2nd position at AFL level, at this stage

No it hasn't, spent next to no time out of the guts last week and when he did, was mostly unsighted as a forward and is still getting lost in open play away from a stoppage

Yes he had 30 odd touches in a VFL game, (all our starting mids are doing that at AFL level), but has no clear 2nd position at AFL level, at this stage
Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back