Preview 2022 Round 3 Carlton vs Hawthorn Sunday April 3rd 1.10PM @ MCG - Team Post #1413

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Durds and Owies team together well to provide great forward pressure, they should be the first and second small forwards picked.
So then it is either going to be Martin or Fish, think Martin might get less possessions, but causes more damage and tackles ferociously.
LOB and Setters are improving each week on the wings.
Thought last year everyone was complaining that Setters being played out of position on the wing

I try and call them out too, and there is plenty.

I was trying to call out what was a pretty average take. I tried to be respectful but guess I wasn't respectful enough, definitely didn't think I made a cheap shot but we all perceive things differently.

I like posting on oppo boards leading up to a game and rarely does it get met with such hostility.

I'll leave. Enjoy the game this week.

Hey Mr both teams and supporters are up and so they should be after 2 0 starts. Let the game play out .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thought last year everyone was complaining that Setters being played out of position on the wing

They were, and he was and is still is being played out of position.

He’s not a winger and for this reason I reckon he will go out for Cerra and probably be sub

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Our mids and forwards should have hawthorn covered however we need avoid the same mistakes Port made last week.

Port played with a lack of pressure and gave the hawks far too much room on the counter attack. We know Gunston and Breust don’t need many chances to make an impact. Lewis also looked really good leading up into space, which is what he’ll try to do against Weiters. OMac is also a big loss in this regard. Those three matchups are vitally important for us to get right. We need to defend as we did against the dogs in the first half, clogging up space in defence and applying pressure to force the hack kick inside D50.

Hopefully we dominate early and kill off any hawthorn momentum. I’m confident Voss will be able to ensure we turn up and apply fierce pressure from the first siren as we did against the dogs.

Some of Gunston goals were pretty lucky snaps from the pocket on the boundary. He’s not doing that every week! Not matter how good he is, or we may think he is.

Port didn’t bring the pressure or intent and hawthorn waltzed out of the backline at will. They will be in for a rude shock when they play us as we are the complete opposite of that this year under Vossy.

We will pressure them, we will dominate them and bring the hawks back down to earth this week!

I agree the wings should not be dropped so I actually think Fisher is the one who could be at risk to come out if we decide to pick Martin.
Durdin and Owies apply better pressure than Fisher, which given how Hawthorn like to transition out of defense, I think will be important.
Martin is also more dangerous than Fisher so he will command more attention which will make it hard for Scrimshaw or CJ to leave him to help Frost and Grainger Barras with McKay and Curnow.
Fisher's midfield minutes get taken by having Walsh and Cerra both available.
I also wouldn't mind seeing SOS matched to Sicily for that same reason, possibly even go for a full negating role on Sicily who IMO is their best & most important player.

Think Fish survives and Setters makes way for Cerra wing and mid with Walsh.
Martin for Fog.
Plow for OMac
Willo sub

Last edited:
Let loose. Enjoy it.

If Covid (and other tough times recently) has taught me... enjoy life now. Worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

I've been told to put a lid on it since Pre-Season... f that! I've loved it.
Exactly. What if we never win another game? Missed opportunity.

I think we will blitz their midfield, but what happens if we are the hunted and they go really defence and pressure oriented? This could be the test here.

Imo the old one on one in the midfield could come out in an attempt to apply pressure and stop our handball game. I'm expecting them to show our midfield a lot more respect and apply defensive pressure and play close rather than our previous opposition who probably went a more head to head, play their own game style against us.

We won't fail where Port did. Their defence and attack was poor. Our backline is smarter and stronger. Our forward line is far more potent. We can make their defenders defend, no intercepting and running off.

The only way we lose is if our effort and standards drop.

I think most of Port’s forward line is still in hospital……………………

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im really hoping Voss tells it straight to the playing group this week
Anyone that doesn't turn up switched on and complacent will be automatically dropped
No excuses no more Bolton and Teague days of players getting away with lack luster efforts
If we do turn up we will comfortably beat the hawks

Im really hoping Voss tells it straight to the playing group this week
Anyone that doesn't turn up switched on and complacent will be automatically dropped
No excuses no more Bolton and Teague days of players getting away with lack luster efforts
If we do turn up we will comfortably beat the hawks
Nup.

Must say, there's so much confidence/arrogance in here, it's so refreshing. None of this "we need to be careful" or "not sure about this game"... just straight out "we got this!"

It's because of the way we've been playing that gives us this confidence. It's not being hopeful, it's become expected.

It's been the greatest 2 and half weeks of arrongance that I can remember (didn't appreciate it in the 90s). I just can't imagine the level come say round 8-9.

Let it out. Don't let anyone shame you. This arrogance is built on 150 years of success... we've been hiding it the last 20 years but it's been busting to get out. Let the rest of the comp remember just how much they hate us!
I have at least three Scum mates who have led with the same line, unrehearsed, random, ' ...we've got the best midfield, the best coach, the best captain, the all Australian Full Back, Coleman Medallist, Brownlow Medalist.....'
It's on, they are baiting us, because they remember, they all remember what it's like to have a resurgent Carlton...
If we are 'on' batten down the hatches as Baggers don't know how to go quietly...

Some of these Hawks folks getting too comfortable here.

It'll be tight for a few quarters, but Carlton by 30+ points. They just won't be able to concede that many clearances and inside 50s without getting slaughtered on the scoreboard against us.
You lose clearances to us you have to defend repeat entries to Mckay and Charles. I think only Melbourne stand a chance conceding a centre clearance landslide. Hawks had best come up with something to curtail that this week or it'll be some lovely one way scoring.

My opinion on the Rd3 changes:

Cerra in for Fogarty. Easy decision. Fog was OK and is OK depth.
Young in for McDonald. Easy decision. McGov must stay as an interceptor, not a KPD.

Martin in for a bit of an unlucky Owies. Owies doesn't deserve to be dropped, but he also hasn't done enough to be spared from demotion. I don't think we'll drop the wingers, and even though Durdin is about on par with Owies for output imo, he adds more in a few areas. Martin is better than all and pressure isn't his weak suit, so can provide that as well as some marks and goals and tough hits. Owies is ready when needed again.

Sub could be anyone.

We're looking strong and with more quality players preparing too. Just need to keep Weitering healthy enough to play every week, or at least nearly every week.

I’m a big fan of Williams but there were several times when he didn’t go when he could/should have.. it‘s a habit at Carlton that I don’t remember him having at Giants. Still don’t reckon he’s playing with the same confidence either, nor at the level someone on his salary would be expected to play at. For all that, he does some very good things too. I expect him to get a lot better/harder/more confident if we keep the wins coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back