Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

‘Raw stats inflated by attending the most ruck contests of any player in the AFL.’

You mean, his job?

Talk about confirmation bias…

By your rationale then he doesn’t get the opportunity to rest up forward like other Rucks do, and is therefore an endurance beast in getting to the most Ruck contests in the AFL?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Do you REALLY want ROB resting forward?…

What are you basing your opinion on? The vibe?

Draper has had a disappointing year and has had a bunch of weeks where he's contributed close to nothing. There's barely three years age difference, so it's not like Draper is a kid.
He's had a great second half of the year so far. He's a lot more mobile and athletic than R.O.B is, can take marks (something which R.O.B has forgotten how to do), and can bob up for a goal or two (he's kicked more goals this year than R.O.B has in his career). There's no way R.O.B would ever be capable of kicking the goal Draper did against the Suns.

Generally speaking, he has a lot more upside.

Draper has had a disappointing year and has had a bunch of weeks where he's contributed close to nothing. There's barely three years age difference, so it's not like Draper is a kid.
But Draper has a shitload more upside…

Athleticism
Disposal
Need I go on?

Fat, lazy and happy to collect his overinflated salary. Yet another list management * up.
This is just silly.
Milera may be disappointing at the moment but to throw insults around is the reason why players have mental health problems. And he’s quite plainly not fat. In fact you have no evidence for any of the stupid things you’ve accused him of

Athleticism
Disposal
Need I go on?
This is the biggest thing for me we need to target in a ruck. Like we do with our mids, we seem awfully reluctant to get with the times and grab a ruck to develop that has some elite athletic traits to them.

He's had a great second half of the year so far. He's a lot more mobile and athletic than R.O.B is, can take marks (something which R.O.B has forgotten how to do), and can bob up for a goal or two (he's kicked more goals this year than R.O.B has in his career). There's no way R.O.B would ever be capable of kicking the goal Draper did against the Suns.

He can also kick the football without having to actively think about the technique required to do so

Can take marks? Averages a lot less marks per game than Rob. Also less than half the tackles. Has given away 42 frees this year compared to Rob’s 15
Was a great goal last week though

Can take marks? Averages a lot less marks per game than Rob. Also less than half the tackles. Has given away 42 frees this year compared to Rob’s 15

Pretty good one this week too…

Draper is absolutely better than R.O.B. I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. You could make a strong case for Hickey too, he was terrific last year but has struggled with injury this year.

In basically half of the games this year Draper has been sub 10 touches. He has also given away 42 frees. He has only take more than 2 marks in a game 4 times in 19 games. 11 times this year he has taken 1 or 0 marks. Generally gets to play on the best surface in the comp in terms of dry/not windy

Does Draper have a better kicking style, does he move more athletically - absolutely

But he has a way to go before he contributes more than ROB.

Note none of the above are to do with hit out numbers (which he smashes Draper 37-22 Ave, hitouts to advantage which from a % view they are the same so once again in number terms ROB has about 5 more per game). I realise ROB gets more opportunity with these.

Upside Draper may surpass ROB in the years to come but this season and the season proceeding he is clearly inferior

Remember when he'd compete on the ground immediately after a ruck contest. Now he's just another late career Sauce who's above doing anything other than contesting the ball up. And like other cruising senior players, we don't have a selection philosophy that holds them accountable. So it's just week in and week out puss from them.

So he averages the same number of tackles, slightly higher in clearances, slightly higher in contested possessions than his B&F year. He is clearly winning a higher rate of hitouts and providing a higher % too advantage than his B&F year (albeit shorter games)

He is averaging 1 less mark

He isn’t a star - he is a solid performer like the majority of ruckmen in the competition - but suggest he has gone miles backwards or is just coasting is not supported by the evidence

Newchurch not getting a go in first because of offfield issues. Macasey has checked out completely and will either be delisted or traded ( hardly surprising)
I watched McAsey pretty closely yesterday at the parade, he played poorly no doubt.

Last quarter he was back at full back, its not hard to believe what you say

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can Draper take those contested mark ROB did in his previous years especially the year he won the B&F???? ROB biggest asset is his endurance which allow him to get to more contest than other ruckman so he has the ability to push back and take contested intercepting marks. Clearly his form has been very inconsistent like the entire side and been dropping a lot of marks he first got his hand too in the last few games. He will never be a resting forward ruckman unless you plonk him in the goal square.

Last edited:

Mate I wouldn’t bother! 99% of the opinions on these boards are based on armchair expert ‘feelings’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he averages the same number of tackles, slightly higher in clearances, slightly higher in contested possessions than his B&F year. He is clearly winning a higher rate of hitouts and providing a higher % too advantage than his B&F year (albeit shorter games)

He is averaging 1 less mark

He isn’t a star - he is a solid performer like the majority of ruckmen in the competition - but suggest he has gone miles backwards or is just coasting is not supported by the evidence

Don’t worry about supplying any evidence mate, we have some eagle-eye talent scouts out there who can give the yay/nay on players based on visuals alone. Never mind that we have a whole department dedicated to tracking stats/data on player performances, we should just get the BigFooty boomer squad in to do weekly selections.

In basically half of the games this year Draper has been sub 10 touches. He has also given away 42 frees. He has only take more than 2 marks in a game 4 times in 19 games. 11 times this year he has taken 1 or 0 marks. Generally gets to play on the best surface in the comp in terms of dry/not windy

Does Draper have a better kicking style, does he move more athletically - absolutely

But he has a way to go before he contributes more than ROB.

Note none of the above are to do with hit out numbers (which he smashes Draper 37-22 Ave, hitouts to advantage which from a % view they are the same so once again in number terms ROB has about 5 more per game). I realise ROB gets more opportunity with these.

Upside Draper may surpass ROB in the years to come but this season and the season proceeding he is clearly inferior

How dare you! It’s a low blow when you use facts to question a good ol’ ROB bashing.

I watched McAsey pretty closely yesterday at the parade, he played poorly no doubt.

Last quarter he was back at full back, its not hard to believe what you say

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
From your observations did McAsey try to compete and contest or did he just turn up and prod around? How can a player drafted at pick 6 be our worst player week in week out playing in our SANFL team over the last couple of seasons? It definitely sounds like he’s given up & checked out, unless there’s other underlining issues!

I don't think ROB is as bad as some make out here at times but to suggest he's legit a top 3 ruck in the comp I think is an exaggeration. Stats may show it, but Nicks has us playing a high stoppage game so of course he gets more hit outs than most others but that's by design of game style rather than pure excellence. I actually thought he wasn't too bad yesterday, had 7 score involvements, some decent taps to advantage and actually was responsible at the start of a chain leading to goals a couple times. The part that I have issues with at the moment is his inability to hold marks in the defensive end, it's been doing us a lot of harm at times this year. That was once his strength so its a shame he's gone so far back off his best in this regard.

I do tend to agree we have other issues that are more pressing than ROB alone but there are definitely guys I'd prefer over him & he shouldn't have a gold pass. We saw he was genuinely decent against Geelong after he got dropped so that should be a wake up call to us if his form drops away what we need to do to get the best out of him.
Yes I tend to agree. Rob may not be the best ruck in the AFL but he is useful not useless. Whilst I am concerned about our ruck stocks I do agree that we have other more pressing needs. Two strong, skilled, midfielders should be impactful for the club.

‘Raw stats inflated by attending the most ruck contests of any player in the AFL.’

You mean, his job?

Talk about confirmation bias…

By your rationale then he doesn’t get the opportunity to rest up forward like other Rucks do, and is therefore an endurance beast in getting to the most Ruck contests in the AFL?

Top 3, based on what?

From your observations did McAsey try to compete and contest or did he just turn up and prod around? How can a player drafted at pick 6 be our worst player week in week out playing in our SANFL team over the last couple of seasons? It definitely sounds like he’s given up & checked out, unless there’s other underlining issues!
Unfortunately he’s not really SANFL standard and would be playing SANFL reserves if he wasn’t on an AFL list.

Doubt we will do it, but we should cut him with a year left on him contract and open up a spot.

More upside? Sure.

But he's actually had a bad year and many were discussing how he'd gone backwards. He's been better the last few weeks, as have Essendon.

Athleticism
Disposal
Need I go on?
The statement was that Draper IS better than ROB, not that he COULD be better.

He has the potential to be better, sure. But every measurable shows he hasn't been so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back