Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, there are a lot of media Dollars in the Draft. Primetime TV generates income. and becoming a two day event increases the value of the TV rites,
All the pop-up reporting generated = dollars in ads.
AFL makes money on the draft.
People people people

You can still have a draft for the players that clubs dont take from their zone allocations. Think about it players are still going to be traded etc, not be happy with where they are zoned to etc

You will still need a draft as a way for the others to get somewhere its just that the predominant vehicle is the zone firstly so that the clubs have an actual bloody identity

so tv can still have its night blah blah blah

I'd definitely be going for keeler. As we all know the draft is a bit of a lottery and exposed form at junior level doesn't necessarily translate to a professional environment.

Upside is what we should be looking at with the confidence that we can bring that talent and upside out with the system we have.

Keeler has immense upside in my opinion.

Keeler and TT as a rotating forward and ruck duo would be a killer combination.

Mate, there are a lot of media Dollars in the Draft. Primetime TV generates income. and becoming a two day event increases the value of the TV rites,
All the pop-up reporting generated = dollars in ads.
AFL makes money on the draft.
What primetime TV coverage is the draft getting?

Well I think there has been some small movement in this direction. But everyone is frustrated at the slow pace of it. Certainly players we have targeted last couple years, there does seem to have been a different emphasis on skillls and I think we all hope that continues. But I'm afraid we still have a way to go to change the nature of our list.

I’m not frustrated at the slow pace of it, quite the opposite. I’m frustrated that the rebuild was done way too early and our focus is on continuity to minimise losses each week rather than cycling through our list. We’re going to be the same old side that competes for the lower part of the 8 each year. Our club didn’t have the patience to rebuild properly.

We long bomb, hope for a scrap and a stoppage because Nicksy loves contested ball..

He even says thats what he’s aiming to see whenever he’s interviewed pre-game!

Its all about creating a scrap for Nicksy.. its the only way he knows he can win..

Clean, high skilled and direct play takes a back seat for nicksy..

Its why when you watch both our AFL and SANFL sides play the better teams in those comps we so often see all our players in the area go into the contest at the same time, often competing against each other in the process to get the ball, only to see it squeezed out and into the hands of two or three opposition players who are waiting, unmanned, just off the contest.

So much energy and effort for so little reward but hey, its a hard contest!.. yay!

It skews stats too. I mightn’t get this exactly right, but there’s an earlier post that is. There was a stat like contested possession where we were near the top of the ladder. But then the same stat using differential we were near the bottom.

Our strategy is to create contests because we lack skill in open play. So raw stats that relate to contests and stoppages can be misunderstood to mean we’re good in that area. But it’s not necessarily true. People often refer to ROB’s raw per game stats to support him being good. But unless you factor in the number of available events against other players, it’s a meaningless stat.

No we don’t. We don’t adjust the game plan to suit the current group. The game plan is rigid and we don’t have the quality of players to execute it. But from my read Nicks doesn’t change the game plan to suit the available players

Disagree, we’ve played on the edge with fast ball movement and running in numbers. And we’ve won playing that way. But then we also play a slow game where we refuse to progress the ball unless it’s a risk free kick or it’s to a pack.

It skews stats too. I mightn’t get this exactly right, but there’s an earlier post that is. There was a stat like contested possession where we were near the top of the ladder. But then the same stat using differential we were near the bottom.

Our strategy is to create contests because we lack skill in open play. So raw stats that relate to contests and stoppages can be misunderstood to mean we’re good in that area. But it’s not necessarily true. People often refer to ROB’s raw per game stats to support him being good. But unless you factor in the number of available events against other players, it’s a meaningless stat.
We were ranked first for tackles per game, but lost the tackle count overall.

How does that work?
Our games have shitloads of tackles. If our games had, say, 50% more tackles than other games, and we made 48% of them, we'd have more tackles than any other team in the league, but on average lose the tackle count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure but how can we be most for tackles per game with least amount of tackles of 18 teams?
We had the most tackles of the 18 teams before the finals. In our games though, our opponents had more than us on average.

Still doesn't make sense for all minor round games.
Yes it does. Our games have the most tackles. Other teams have more than us on average in our games, but they only play in games involving us once or twice a year, whereas we're in those high-tackle count games every week.

Yes it does. Our games have the most tackles. Other teams have more than us on average in our games, but they only play in games involving us once or twice a year, whereas we're in those high-tackle count games every week.
How about in the other 8 games...

Less tackles which then drops the tackles for the other sides.

The other 8 games in the round? They tend to have a lower total tackle count than our games.
So we end up with more tackles overall than other sides for the season.

Just lower in head to head games.

Simple example:

Games involving Crows have 200 tackles. - split say 110 against us, and 90 for us.

Games not involving Crows have 150. - split roughly 75 -75.

Our average is 90 tackles per game.
Other teams average (16*75 + 1* 110 )/17 = 77 tackles per game.

We have the most tackles per game in the league, but lose the tackle count on average in our games.

So we end up with more tackles overall than other sides for the season.

Just lower in head to head games.
Yes, we tend to lose the tackle count in our matches. But make more tackles over the season than any other team.

Simple way to think about it - we GET tackled far more than any other team.

Yes, we tend to lose the tackle count in our matches. But make more tackles over the season than any other team.

Simple way to think about it - we GET tackled far more than any other team.
So we are talking (net) tackle differential not total tackles...

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back