Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

oh man Sean Darcy getting Ryan htb in his stupid bucket hat after trying to sell the dummy made me lol

Fremantle Dockers match simulation: David Mundy gets through first hit-out unscathed, Heath Chapman shines​

Headshot of Mark Duffield

Mark DuffieldThe West Australian
Sat, 12 February 2022 12:37PM
Comments
Mark Duffield

[PLAYERCARD]David Mundy[/PLAYERCARD].

David Mundy. Credit: Tom Fee/FFC

Fremantle’s games record holder David Mundy looks set to add a 355th match to his tally in round one after getting through his first serious match practice of the summer at Cockburn on Saturday morning.
Mundy played two quarters of a full four-quarter match simulation, spearheading his team’s midfield up until half time. He then did a light warm down and appeared to have suffered no ill effects from the hit out.
In a further boost for the Dockers, defender Joel Hamling also appeared to get through the game unscathed.
Mundy’s pre-season had been disrupted by an ankle injury suffered at Christmas time, but the 36-year-old had made steady progress in the rehab group and last week had declared he expected to play intra-club and practice matches ahead of round one.
[PLAYERCARD]Darcy Tucker[/PLAYERCARD].

Darcy Tucker. Credit: Tom Fee/FFC
He now appears well placed to play at least some of Fremantle’s February 25 practice match against cross-town rival West Coast.
As was the case in last week’s match simulation at Cockburn, the Dockers opted for two evenly-matched teams who played out a fierce contest over the four quarters which were interrupted at the halfway point of each term with a time-out.
While Mundy was solid rather than dominant in the midfield for the ‘white’ team, his group jumped out to an early three-goal lead built off the back of the strong midfield work of ruckman Sean Darcy and fellow left footer Darcy Tucker, with a the highlight a brilliant left-footed snapped goal in the second term by speedster Michael Frederick.
But strong contested marks and goals to ‘purple’ team key forwards Rory Lobb and Matt Taberner brought their team back into the game in the second quarter and the match became a close, hard-fought scrap from that point on.

While the Dockers have an embarrassment of riches in defence, second-year backman Heath Chapman’s outstanding game on half-back looks to have him in a good position to play against the Eagles.

Heath Chapman.

Heath Chapman. Credit: Tom Fee/FFC
Chapman read the play beautifully, intercepted well and used the ball with great aggression and purpose.
‘White’ team defender Griffin Logue recovered from a couple of sloppy disposals early in the game to win some critical one-on-ones later on, while Luke Ryan had the measure of Sam Sturt for three quarters before clever play from Sturt in the final term earned him one goal and a hand in another.
Michael Walters did not play after spending the back half of the week away from the main group, while skipper Nat Fyfe did reflex and range of movement work on his reconstructed shoulder and offered advice to players like Sturt at the breaks. Lachie Schultz did running work on the boundary and was another to miss the hit-out.

Seriously, Mundy is a freaking Legend. How does he keep it up? I’m going to enjoy watching him leave the all time games record in his rearview mirror this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oh gahd- I've just seen those scarily enjoyable match highlights.

I was so much more at peace, in a dreary way, when we headed into the season just hoping we wouldn't lose too many games...raised expectation is hell on the nerves.

Earmuffs and blindfolds, footy gods!

You guys have a really exciting back 6 coming through , Young and Chapman look very exciting. Absolute headache to fit everyone in the backline.
Thanks for dropping by, we are all quietly keeping a lid on it, last year we were thinking the same thing then by round 2 barely had a back 6 to choose from.

Blake Acres around 2.30 mark handballs DIRECTLY TO THE OPPOSITION
If he is playing in the team we have no hope.

The video highlights of the intra-club match just make me smile. F-bomb I love our squad. So much to like, and even more impressive when you consider the talented players that weren't even out there. I'm so excited for 2022 and beyond. The future is indeed very bright.

(And seeing a fit Switta carving up the oval. Wow, he's gonna be a nightmare for opposition clubs.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The video highlights of the intra-club match just make me smile. F-bomb I love our squad. So much to like, and even more impressive when you consider the talented players that weren't even out there. I'm so excited for 2022 and beyond. The future is indeed very bright.

(And seeing a fit Switta carving up the oval. Wow, he's gonna be a nightmare for opposition clubs.)

Still highlights that we are lacking genuine small, medium forwards.
Sure Walters to come in and play, but the highlights show that Crowden, Switta
are better midfield?
Freddy looks right forward, but honestly I’m little disappointed that Erasmus isn’t
playing closer to goals.
We have an abundance midfield, defence, with NOD also making me feel better about his selection, speed.
I can see a year like 2015, yet still leave the door open for the opposition.
Forward line is still up in the air, not settled.
We better kick straight or hold our breath in the last quarters.

Still highlights that we are lacking genuine small, medium forwards.
Sure Walters to come in and play, but the highlights show that Crowden, Switta
are better midfield?
Freddy looks right forward, but honestly I’m little disappointed that Erasmus isn’t
playing closer to goals.
We have an abundance midfield, defence, with NOD also making me feel better about his selection, speed.
I can see a year like 2015, yet still leave the door open for the opposition.
Forward line is still up in the air, not settled.
We better kick straight or hold our breath in the last quarters.
If you lock in Walters, Frederick and Schultz, have the mediums Sturt, Banfield Fyfe/Mundy, and add the talls Lobb, Taberner and Treacy, I'm confident the club has the makings of a decent attack.

Others who can roll through there if required. Cox, Colyer, Henry, Erasmus, Western.

Just watching those highlights and I continue to be impressed with Colyer’s renaissance. 4-5 times in the 4 minute video he was running in either offensive or defensive support. The tackle by Noddy was possible due to the 100 meter chase that Colyer had already put on.

If I was told two years ago that he would be in the red 1 team in 2022 I would have been disappointed with our trading/drafting or injury list. Now he seems to be a perfect player to be picked on the interchange. Can come on for wing/HFF/F pocket. Reckon he and Freddie will be fighting all year for that position.

Acres on the other hand….

Chapman to the wing. A better player than Acres defensively and can score. Clark to HBF or alternate with Chapman. Young on the other HBF.
Chapman greatest strengths are his intercept making, his ability to read the play up the field & composure with ball in hand. Half back is perfect for him with his strengths wasted elsewhere.

Chapman greatest strengths are his intercept making, his ability to read the play up the field & composure with ball in hand. Half back is perfect for him with his strengths wasted elsewhere.
100% agree and I’d add that he’s a very good one on one defender.

If you lock in Walters, Frederick and Schultz, have the mediums Sturt, Banfield Fyfe/Mundy, and add the talls Lobb, Taberner and Treacy, I'm confident the club has the makings of a decent attack.

Others who can roll through there if required. Cox, Colyer, Henry, Erasmus, Western.
We will get a better idea on February 25th after playing WC. Intensity should be higher and their defensive style requires smart ball use.
Optus is a large ground so it will be interesting to see how we play at home on a fast track.

Was that Sturt wearing the 1 and kicking a nice crumbing goal?

Have to get him on the field this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back