Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

I went down and caught the last half hour of training Friday. Most had left the track by the time I got there. Fyfe was doing some kicking for goals as were many of the other that were left on the track. Seemed to have nailed the goal kicking, But it was only practice. Lobb, Schultz, Clark Erasmus and a few others doing the same.
Schultz was doing some close in marking with Graham. He looks sharp.
I watched the highlights of yesterdays simulation. Looks like Sturt might be finally getting into the game a bit. A couple of stand out moments for him. Kicking a crumbing goal. Winning a contested ball, and handing off to Frederick for a goal.
Just needs time and game practice.
Logue looked in good form as well.

I went down and caught the last half hour of training Friday. Most had left the track by the time I got there. Fyfe was doing some kicking for goals as were many of the other that were left on the track. Seemed to have nailed the goal kicking, But it was only practice. Lobb, Schultz, Clark Erasmus and a few others doing the same.
I watched the highlights of yesterdays simulation. Looks like Sturt might be finally getting into the game a bit. A couple of stand out moments for him. Kicking a crumbing goal. Winning a contested ball, and handing off to Frederick for a goal.
I watched the highlights of the match sim and looked at the gallery on the FFC site. From what I can deduce the white team forward line had Sturt, Banfield and peel play Paulson? As their key forwards while the purple team had Cox, Hamling and Chapman as key backs, supported by Ryan, Clark and Wilson. It’s little wonder Hamling and Chapman both impressed with their intercept marking, one photo had Sturt trying to fly against Cox and Chapman. So I am very pleased to hear Sturt managed to find a way to impact the game at ground level.
I also thought with Mundy & Darcy coming off at half time for the white team, it was inevitable that the purple team would get over the top of them. I can’t work out who was doing the ruck work for white after half time as Meek, Lobb and Tabs were all playing for purple!

Definitely has the talent Sturt, but the club isn’t building competition for that medium forward.
It’s him or Banfield, hopefully these are not are only options.

Not sure he gets a game as the midfield depth has increased.
Played 18 last year, but the pressure will definitely be on. Tucker looking good for the wing, but Henry doesn't seem convincing yet, O'Driscoll probably not yet, Frederick forward, and I'd have to agree with Chapman establishing himself in the backline first.

Played 18 last year, but the pressure will definitely be on. Tucker looking good for the wing, but Henry doesn't seem convincing yet, O'Driscoll probably not yet, Frederick forward, and I'd have to agree with Chapman establishing himself in the backline first.
Aish and Tucker will be on a wing before Acres.

Then Frederick or Henry can pinch hit on a wing.

Plus, he was dropped late in the season which suggests that the club has lost confidence in him.

Aish and Tucker will be on a wing before Acres.

Then Frederick or Henry can pinch hit on a wing.

Plus, he was dropped late in the season which suggests that the club has lost confidence in him.
It’s been a long time since Peel looked so good. If that isn’t an indication that we improving I don’t know what is.

I think Tucker would be a good replacement for Cez in the short term on the inside. I'd rather Aish and Henry on the wings to begin with as Fredrick and Noddy are still not quite there. We can cycle Switta and even Young through the center.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Tucker would be a good replacement for Cez in the short term on the inside. I'd rather Aish and Henry on the wings to begin with as Fredrick and Noddy are still not quite there. We can cycle Switta and even Young through the center.
By the look of things Erasmus has taken Cerra’s spot? I’d rather your choices and
Start Neil forward, with short stints in the middle.
Will Brodie if available is that Bull too.

Acres was brought in to mitigate the loss of our two established wingers, and he's done that pretty well.

Can we upgrade that position? Sure can, and clearly it has been a key part of our list management strategy for the past few drafts.

My tip is that Acres gets another contract, but that's far from certain.

For me he's in the same basket as the likes of Hughes, Banfield, Colyer and others. They are AFL standard players with some significant flaws and limitations. Depth? Teasers? Scapegoats?

Acres was brought in to mitigate the loss of our two established wingers, and he's done that pretty well.

Can we upgrade that position? Sure can, and clearly it has been a key part of our list management strategy for the past few drafts.

My tip is that Acres gets another contract, but that's far from certain.

For me he's in the same basket as the likes of Hughes, Banfield, Colyer and others. They are AFL standard players with some significant flaws and limitations. Depth? Teasers? Scapegoats?
I’d hate for him to get another game as a first option. But as third option coverage for worse case scenarios? He’s at least capable

I’d hate for him to get another game as a first option. But as third option coverage for worse case scenarios? He’s at least capable
Unfortunately Tucker has been a regular on the injured list, and I don't think Henry or Frederick are actually ready. Same with Erasmus and Johnson. And Longmuir hasn't shown an inclination to use players like Clark, Chapman, Logue and Walker outside of their comfort zones.

Too many great things in the intraclub highlights to note them all, but two worth highlighting:

1. at around 2:10 bit of a contested situation on the wing. Brayshaw has the ball and is being tackled by Erasmus. Brayshaw gets a handball off to Henry, who is running straight into the path of Crowden, arms stretched out to give Henry a big ol' hug. Henry nudges a handball straight onto the ground, making the ball skip along the ground (like skipping stones at the beach), past Crowden, before popping up into a waiting Serong's hands. This was no accident. This was a guy who, with no time to think about it, just knows how to make the ball do what he wants.

2. at around 37s, large numbers around the ball (possibly off a throw in?), Clark swoops in with pace and scoops up the ball, and runs straight into Brayshaw, who tackles him to the ground. With the whistle blown, Brayshaw lifts himself up, and then — this is the bit I love — gives Clark a good ol' shove in the back just to remind him who won that one. Brayshaw! Mr Nice Guy himself! This was not some half-a*sed, touch-footy match simulation. They were playing for real.

Yeah, Henry does still have work to do but I did like a couple of flashes in the highlights where he used a really quick bounce pass handball and when he backed his pace to run away from Colyer I think it was. he has a fair bit of talent and we just need to see hat talent on display more often within games and consistently over more games.

Yeah, Henry does still have work to do but I did like a couple of flashes in the highlights where he used a really quick bounce pass handball and when he backed his pace to run away from Colyer I think it was. he has a fair bit of talent and we just need to see hat talent on display more often within games and consistently over more games.
It was Sturt he runs away from... Henry is going to be a special player.

Too many great things in the intraclub highlights to note them all, but two worth highlighting:

1. at around 2:10 bit of a contested situation on the wing. Brayshaw has the ball and is being tackled by Erasmus. Brayshaw gets a handball off to Henry, who is running straight into the path of Crowden, arms stretched out to give Henry a big ol' hug. Henry nudges a handball straight onto the ground, making the ball skip along the ground (like skipping stones at the beach), past Crowden, before popping up into a waiting Serong's hands. This was no accident. This was a guy who, with no time to think about it, just knows how to make the ball do what he wants.

2. at around 37s, large numbers around the ball (possibly off a throw in?), Clark swoops in with pace and scoops up the ball, and runs straight into Brayshaw, who tackles him to the ground. With the whistle blown, Brayshaw lifts himself up, and then — this is the bit I love — gives Clark a good ol' shove in the back just to remind him who won that one. Brayshaw! Mr Nice Guy himself! This was not some half-a*sed, touch-footy match simulation. They were playing for real.
The shove was sick - these boys want to win no matter who the opponent is. Serong is the best champion of that attitude, as he grows into a leadership role watch the rest of the team bring the niggle back. I'm tired of all my Vic mates saying how they have no feelings either way towards Freo - I want us to get up in their faces in line with our general improvement.

gives Clark a good ol' shove in the back just to remind him who won that one.

Same way I reacted back in the '90s playing under 16s for South Mandurah. I tackled my best friend who was playing for Mandurah Centrals, at Rushton Park. When I caught him, I let him know I won that contest while I kept him pinned to the ground for longer than he liked. Ha. Point is, tackling a friend is much more satisfying than tackling a random. 😀👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back