2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big on Bailey Humphrey

Passing the eye test 1.3 but a major target jnside Country 50

Big hole especially with Rankine going

Would be us or Ess. Only clubs that have the coin to take on the full contract.

We'd be able to take it on too - especially with 1.5 MIL coming off the books with Sel, Higgins and Dahl all as likely retirements. We were prepared to offer Hopper around 600-650 over 5 years, so we clearly have the sal cap to do something big this trade period now that we're not getting Hopper

Instead of 7 we should offer our first next year. 5 and 7 could be more use than our first next year. Humphrey and hollands or trade up to pick 1 or 2

Probably get Hollands with a lower draft pick if we needed to move 7 down a few spots

Like Lewis Hayes game if we ended up with him. Getting smashed by Harley Reid is no disgrace.

I’d be extremely annoyed if we got rid of Bowes and pick 7, but it is interesting that Cal Twomey thinks we’re creating a lot of cap space because he expects us to become a destination club in the future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be extremely annoyed if we got rid of Bowes and pick 7, but it is interesting that Cal Twomey thinks we’re creating a lot of cap space because he expects us to become a destination club in the future

Maybe it's a case of when you are selling your house you put a price on it that is way under reserve to get some interest and then see what people will pay for him if there is a competitive market for him.

Maybe it's a case of when you are selling your house you put a price on it that is way under reserve to get some interest and then see what people will pay for him if there is a competitive market for him.
Exactly if we put Pick 7 & Atkins, no buyers

Plenty of donkeys are going to bite at this carrot.

And I presume Crows pick 5 is now agreed for us to offer up pick 7.

Still plenty to work with. Might even be able to improve on pick 5.

I heard it portrayed as nothing coming back, but I agree let's wait and see. I honestly don't trust Cameron to not do something that dumb though.
I’d say it’d be Bowes and 7 for a swap of first rounders. For example St Kilda’s 9, Dogs 11, Geelong’s 18. Plus some other back and forth to even out wherever it lands.

I just keep reminding myself - how do we create a premiership list.

1. Keeping our gun players long term
2. Good midfield depth
3 Avoiding overpaying role players / fringe 22

Whilst the bowes situation looks like a clear loss - if it gets us closer to achieving the above - then it’s the right move.

Acknowledging and correcting errors from the past is what the club has to do if we are going to build a premiership calibre list.

Don't like it at all, but do like the club trying to get proactive about the cap and fix the problem that we made in the first place.

The contract mistakes of 2018 and 2019 were manifold. Everybody was overpaid for what they were at the time, from Swallow to Wittsy to Dmac to Bowes. Probably only Wittsy breaking even on his current deal, and probably only Touk went past his contract.

Swallow gets something of a pass but I suspect he and Rory have been two of the most overpaid players in the comp for several years and still a year or two to go. Doubt that covid helped, probably pushed some $ back to help with cash flow including with Bowes.

Probably got two choices this off-season to do more de-bloating

One, wait for the bloat to flush through the system over the next 2 years.
Two, go hard now using current draft picks.

Sounds like two is the go.
Do a similar deal to Brodie, current high pick + player for a couple of future picks to a muchlower value. Then use the future picks for points for academy players.

But salary dumping only worthwhile if we keep a tighter hold on contracts, and stop throwing in an extra 50k a year. If players need the extra to stay, then unless they are Ando and King level, let them go. It sucks, but the long term alternative is worse. GWS has this problem, but so did the Pies with the Grundy deal. You end up either having to let good players go b/c of cap pressure (GWS) or throw in draft picks for someone to take on a contract (Suns and Pies). Which also means be more selective with who sticks and who goes, be more prepared to let players leave after 4 years. Like we should have done with let Brodie go after 4 years

Note that we are going to have a tight salary cap pretty much every year. We are a draft and develop Northern club and will be paying draftees on potential pretty much every single time (which means overs in years 3 and 4 and probably in years 5 and 6 as well for most). Plus anyone who is actually good will be getting market whack during their prime (like Touk) and most likely not a discount.

So the number of best 22 players on our list that will be value plays will probably be limited and short lived. Boo hoo to us and good luck to teams like the Cats, but that is the reality. Make the best of it.

Instead of 7 we should offer our first next year. 5 and 7 could be more use than our first next year. Humphrey and hollands or trade up to pick 1 or 2

If Suns get 5 from the Crows I hope the Eagles offer pick 2 for 5, 7 and Bowes contract.

Would even offer later future picks to help with points you need next year.

Convincing Bowes to head West the only problem.

If Suns get 5 from the Crows I hope the Eagles offer pick 2 for 5, 7 and Bowes contract.

Would even offer later future picks to help with points you need next year.

Convincing Bowes to head West the only problem.
Good suggestion, could work for both clubs.

I doubt Bowes in on 700K. Just because somebody said it here it does not mean it's correct. I can't remember but I believe he was not in that salary bracket in Herald (and who says Herald guesses are correct). Deferred salary? Possibly.

I would add Jeffrey to the list. Bloody talented. Signed 4 years contract when drafted.

Jeffrey signed a 4 year contract when drafted?

How?

Draftees only get 2 years normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back