2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Swallow has made the selfless decision to take a significant pay cut on his lucrative contract in the wake of the Gold Coast’s jettisoning of Jack Bowes.
Swallow was due up to $1 million in the next two seasons after signing a massive five-year contract in 2018 at a time when co-captains Steven May and Tom Lynch had just left the club.

But the Herald Sun understands Swallow, midfielder Brayden Fiorini and forward Alex Sexton have all been handed an extra season in return for significant pay cuts.

The Suns were criticised for handing over pick 7 to Geelong in a deal that saw the Cats absorbing his $800,000 wage for 2023 and 2024.

But that decision was another reminder to Suns players how tight the cap was and in the subsequent months the club was able to off-set all three deals to improve its salary cap.

Swallow, seen as one of the Suns’ most loyal and beloved players, will take a pay cut of up to $200,000 in each of the 2023 and 2024 seasons.
He will be paid around $800,000 until the 2025 season and while it is still a healthy wage it highlights the premium the Suns have paid in the past to secure their stars.

Fiorini and Sexton were both due over $500,000 for the 2023 season, with a trade falling through for Fiorini at Collingwood when Tom Mitchell emerged as a gettable player.

Both will get an extra year through to 2025 but Fiorini now has the next two seasons to break into the senior side while playing for less than $300,000 in both of those seasons.

I wish more were like that
The really crazy part is Swallow moved to the Gold Coast in November 2009 at 16 years of age and he turns 31 later this year so he's spent almost half his life with us! He'll become our first ever 200 game player next week when we take on Geelong at Heritage and I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest he could reach 300. He's already solidified his status as a club legend and I really hope we can reward him for his loyalty with some deep finals runs over the next few years because he deserves it. A lot of credit needs to go to Swallow and Witta for turning the club culture around years ago when our own players weren't taking us seriously and would just leave as soon as a better offer came along.

The really crazy part is Swallow moved to the Gold Coast in November 2009 at 16 years of age and he turns 31 later this year so he's spent almost half his life with us! He'll become our first ever 200 game player next week when we take on Geelong at Heritage and I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest he could reach 300. He's already solidified his status as a club legend and I really hope we can reward him for his loyalty with some deep finals runs over the next few years because he deserves it. A lot of credit needs to go to Swallow and Witta for turning the club culture around years ago when our own players weren't taking us seriously and would just leave as soon as a better offer came along.
Build the man a statue and name the club champion award after him.

300? That’s another 5 years at 20 games per.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BRING BACK RORY THOMPSON

He's only 30. Still got several years left in him and hopefully some final appearances added to the tally. I don't think 300 is unrealistic but 250 is definitely on the cards.
There’s been a lot of talk here over the past two years, that he’s almost cooked.

He might only be 30, but will his body handle a 4 more seasons after this one, without breaking down.

There’s been a lot of talk here over the past two years, that he’s almost cooked.

He might only be 30, but will his body handle a 4 more seasons after this one, without breaking down.
Time will tell. Some thought he was pretty much done in 2016 when he didn't recover well from his 2015 knee injury and needed surgery. Since 2017 he's played over 120 games for us and only missed about 12 over that 6 year stretch. So once again, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he could get to 300 and I think 250 is very realistic for him.

After our average first two performances it's obvious we need some run and skill by foot in the team, also kpd unless Graham, Brock or Andrew really take a leap in the remainder of the season. The positive is there seems to be a bit of this quality still unsigned around the league. Redman, day, pickett, wanganeen milera, Gresham and McKay. Any of these would be massive, the problem now is enticing them to move.

Name your best team man after Swallow, sure. But I can't believe what I'm reading about him. After Prestia, May and Lynch left (and all those before them) Davey Swallow, coming off horrendous knee injury was offered an absolute bag to stay around so we had a captain (this was before Miller turned into the A grader he is). I mean think about it, David Swallow, a bench player, was going to be on 1 million dollars this year, and then graciously (for our benefit apparently) says ill take another 600k for the year after! (1.6 over 2) David Swallow is a 300k a year player at best, considering all he's done for this club. We are paying Swallow 1.6 over 2, but couldn't afford Rankine, we're paying him that but trade away pick 7 and Jack Bowes, I mean the guy throws his body around but come on... building this guy a statue? Give me a break. Congratulations on your 200th, but he has taken more from the club than his on field performance suggests is fair and I think it's about time that was recognised.

A bit harsh but some of what you say is correct. He isn't the star we'd hoped, he did hang around when others didn't and the money had to go somewhere. The numbers are a little wrong also, he was due around $1m x 2 and has altered it to 3 x $800 k. So basically playing the final year for $400. Still way to much for the player he is but it's the mess we have got ourselves in. If we hadn't put crazy contracts to these guys we probably could afford to match offers for guys like rankine but when does it stop you can't just match every offer a young gun receives. Shattered we lost rankine but I see why, not too fussed on the bowes situation but glad we seem to be finally seem to be getting the books sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back