2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong but he isn't even a rfa end of next year is he?? Absolute rubbish journalism, of course every club will be interested, just say every club is interested in ben king! Although if he was a free agent then it would be worth talking about as pre agents and the value of trading them a year early is a discussion worth having.

Club will need to choose.
Ben king or
Stewart Dew

Doesn’t look like the Good Coast Suns can have both.
Wait a year or so to long, you end up in the Tom lynch Steven May scenario.

If a player decides to start investigating what’s out there… generally it’s a sign, more likely then not they will move on.

Nothing indicates king has asked his manager to do so..
But come the end of the year… the club needs to make good progress or change its path with the coach

I wish you guys were as passionate about the clubs finals progression as you were about rubbishing the articles.. these hit piece articles will keep coming until we are contending for finals
The next 12/18 months is very important for the direction of this club

Weird comment. I don’t think there is a poster on the Suns side of bigfooty that isn’t passionate about the teams success…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The same commentators said King was gone before he re-signed, said Dave Swallow was going to North to be with his brother after he got his knees checked out there, Dustin Martin was gone to North too.
In short journos and commentators have NFI and create clicks by saying outlandish shit.
Ignore it ffs.

Dogs with 2, 7 and 25 better hand then us.

Suns would complain it costs to much to have a good hand at the draft.
Only club EVER to complain about having highly rated picks
Surely the dogs just handover pick 7 to another club when they trade someone out, I hear it’s the thing to do and everyone is doing it

After next year, if we are no closer to finals, I wouldn't hold it against King if he wanted to move on.
I would hold it against him either but I sure would against the club. 13 years, 6th with this coach, draft picks out the wazoo and we are woeful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw earlier in the week someone had mentioned 'imagine where we'd be if we had succeeded in our pursuit to convince Nick Daicos to forego his father-son eligibility to join us and Will Ashcroft had stayed in our academy long enough to nominate for us a year later' and it got me thinking about our recruiting staff. My initial feel on the comment was disappointment because those are two generational talents that were both linked to us at one stage (at to least to some degree) but then I started to think more deeply about it and realised that no other club outside of Victoria has ever really tempted a highly rated father-son prospect in the way we supposedly did with Daicos and that was in year where we finished 16th on the ladder.

It was an audacious bid to say the least and our pitch was apparently strong enough to tempt young Nick. It's simply not something other non-Victorian clubs are having any success at but our recruiters backed themselves in and would have pulled off the heist of the century if Nick Daicos had agreed to head north. Looking at the situation from that lens actually fills me with a fair bit of confidence that our club is going to be a serious player at the trade/draft table in the future when we have the on field results to really sweeten any deals.

Then we have Will Ashcroft. We obviously knew Will very well from his days in our academy and we were able to develop him into a bottom age All-Australian talent before he departed our academy so we played a significant role in helping him become the player he is today. Don't get the story twisted though, the club repeatedly tried to convince the AFL to grant us academy draft access to Will before they finally crushed those dreams in April 2021 and that was coincidentally around the time we were also trying to convince Nick Daicos to join us. All the while we were entering our second season with Rowell and Anderson on our list. Now we'll never know if Ashcroft would have nominated us but it's clear we would have given it a good crack if it had been an option. So to say the club had big plans for the future at that point in time is an understatement! We were eyeing off stacking our midfield with potentially as many as four generational players and our midfield would have been the envy of all clubs across the land.

So the takeaways from these thoughts were - our recruiting staff are obviously good at identifying generational talent, they are courageous enough to attempt massive moves that many clubs wouldn't and it sounds like their pitching ability is quite strong if they were able to tempt these types of prodigies while the team was lowly positioned. I've come away from these thoughts feeling quite optimistic about what the future might hold once we start playing finals and I've always thought the Gold Coast would be an extremely attractive destination for most young footballers if they know they are likely to compete in finals while they are here.

The end.

I saw earlier in the week someone had mentioned 'imagine where we'd be if we had succeeded in our pursuit to convince Nick Daicos to forego his father-son eligibility to join us and Will Ashcroft had stayed in our academy long enough to nominate for us a year later' and it got me thinking about our recruiting staff. My initial feel on the comment was disappointment because those are two generational talents that were both linked to us at one stage (at to least to some degree) but then I started to think more deeply about it and realised that no other club outside of Victoria has ever really tempted a highly rated father-son prospect in the way we supposedly did with Daicos and that was in year where we finished 16th on the ladder.

It was an audacious bid to say the least and our pitch was apparently strong enough to tempt young Nick. It's simply not something other non-Victorian clubs are having any success at but our recruiters backed themselves in and would have pulled off the heist of the century if Nick Daicos had agreed to head north. Looking at the situation from that lens actually fills me with a fair bit of confidence that our club is going to be a serious player at the trade/draft table in the future when we have the on field results to really sweeten any deals.

Then we have Will Ashcroft. We obviously knew Will very well from his days in our academy and we were able to develop him into a bottom age All-Australian talent before he departed our academy so we played a significant role in helping him become the player he is today. Don't get the story twisted though, the club repeatedly tried to convince the AFL to grant us academy draft access to Will before they finally crushed those dreams in April 2021 and that was coincidentally around the time we were also trying to convince Nick Daicos to join us. All the while we were entering our second season with Rowell and Anderson on our list. Now we'll never know if Ashcroft would have nominated us but it's clear we would have given it a good crack if it had been an option. So to say the club had big plans for the future at that point in time is an understatement! We were eyeing off stacking our midfield with potentially as many as four generational players and our midfield would have been the envy of all clubs across the land.

So the takeaways from these thoughts were - our recruiting staff are obviously good at identifying generational talent, they are courageous enough to attempt massive moves that many clubs wouldn't and it sounds like their pitching ability is quite strong if they were able to tempt these types of prodigies while the team was lowly positioned. I've come away from these thoughts feeling quite optimistic about what the future might hold once we start playing finals and I've always thought the Gold Coast would be an extremely attractive destination for most young footballers if they know they are likely to compete in finals while they are here.

The end.
Gc pitch: we’ve got warm weather and an up and coming team, trust us we’ll be good soon.

Collingwood pitch: play with your brother in your old man’s number. Fly interstate 3 times a year. Play in front of 80k at the MCG most other weeks. Make triple your salary in endorsements and media if you want. Set yourself up for life.

Daicos is just giving us lip service when he said he was tempted.

I’m ok with us asking him (and bidding on him) - as long as we didn’t spend 100’s of hours scouting him when it was never going to happen.

Let’s see how mac Andrew turns out. If you could take Mac Andrew or Josh gibcus right now who would you take?

Mac Andrew. He's still developing but has the tools to be a star of the comp, looking forward to watching him today

Never been a worse deal then NOT paying this bloke 800k a year for next 3 years.
When he can win games off his own boot. 91% efficiency 👀

Yet Dave swallow gets a million a year getting 20 touches a game with no real threat to changing the game.

And Atkins on 450k for 4-5 years playing VFL

And. Yes I’m aware Dave’s a great clubman and prob the greatest Sun ever. And took a pay cut this year.
80BA8AB5-9066-4312-BF63-C54F00F3E288.jpeg

Last edited:
If we lose the next 2 games and are effectively out of finals contention then I'm going to start dreaming of Harley Reid. This kid is that good that if you add him to this list with a league average coach we make finals next year.

If we lose the next 2 games and are effectively out of finals contention then I'm going to start dreaming of Harley Reid. This kid is that good that if you add him to this list with a league average coach we make finals next year.
Let’s assume it all turns to shit and we get pick 1. Kid has the world at his feet if he played for a big VIC club, money, endorsements , fame and success or he could come to a club with zero success and not even a glimmer of improvement. As a Suns tragic if he was my son it would be pretty clear what I would be suggesting to him.

Let’s assume it all turns to s**t and we get pick 1. Kid has the world at his feet if he played for a big VIC club, money, endorsements , fame and success or he could come to a club with zero success and not even a glimmer of improvement. As a Suns tragic if he was my son it would be pretty clear what I would be suggesting to him.
Money, fame and success is not the key to happiness?

Hope he stays, but couldn’t blame him either. He’s looking at another 2-3 years before getting a full time gig with us. 1st round pick thank you
Well he's here to at least the end of next season.

I think with how Witts was barely walking after the Geelong game Ned may get his opportunity sooner rather than later.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back