• Doedee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schoenberg

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Milera

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In essence it boils down to us believing that SANFL games are irrelevant. We want to win, but also don't really care about winning.

Here is the club's reasoning: Crouch ruled out of SANFL finals
No wonder the supporters of the SANFL hate us, that’s a damming assessment of what we think of the competition.

We need to get out of the SANFL and in to a national reserves competition.

No wonder the supporters of the SANFL hate us, that’s a damming assessment of what we think of the competition.

I had heard that the Crows offered that we would play in the SANFL but not be eligible for finals, which the SANFL were comfortable with but we wanted the same rules in place for Port, who said No.

I had heard that the Crows offered that we would play in the SANFL but not be eligible for finals, which the SANFL were comfortable with but we wanted the same rules in place for Port, who said No.
Haven’t heard that but I’m glad the club did offer that, I’ve thought it’s the best model

It's also a strong reminder that the SANFL isn't a relevant competition anymore. Just a glorified reserves competition which only exists for the also-rans, and to be a feeder league for the AFL.

Mind you, us getting out of the SANFL doesn't change that or fixes the relevancy issue they have. Probably just hurts them considering our license fee.

Actually, looking at the deal we agreed in 2014 - this might be worthwhile going into a national reserves competition on its own if it's still a thing for our depth players:

AFC to commit to ‘playing to the line’.
  • Will not rest players and take up elective surgery options
  • SANFL doctor to provide 2nd opinion on surgeries before end of season
  • Will commit in writing of these points, to be in Club and head coach charters.

Doesn't that also compromise the league?

The 6/7th sides get to play Finals.

Best outcome is for us and Port to join the VFL or dedicated AFL Reserves.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's also a strong reminder that the SANFL isn't a relevant competition anymore. Just a glorified reserves competition which only exists for the also-rans, and to be a feeder league for the AFL.

Mind you, us getting out of the SANFL doesn't change that or fixes the relevancy issue they have. Probably just hurts them considering our license fee.

Actually, looking at the deal we agreed in 2014 - this might be worthwhile going into a national reserves competition on its own if it's still a thing for our depth players:

• Will commit in writing of these points, to be in Club and head coach charters.
It’s not a relevant competition to those who follow the VFL/AFL only and have arrogant crappy opinions like you’ve just shared.

For followers of football who still support their SANFL team it’s an important competition. The standard of football is still good, sure not at the elite level but who cares, it doesn’t come with a lot of the AFLs negatives either.

All levels of football, from the AFL to state leagues to amateur to junior football is enjoyable if you like football and enjoy watching a game. Just need to take your head out of your arse and take it for what it is.

It’s not a relevant competition to those who follow the VFL/AFL only and have arrogant crappy opinions like you’ve just shared.

For followers of football who still support their SANFL team it’s an important competition. The standard of football is still good, sure not at the elite level but who cares, it doesn’t come with a lot of the AFLs negatives either.

All levels of football, from the AFL to state leagues to amateur to junior football is enjoyable if you like football and enjoy watching a game. Just need to take your head out of your arse and take it for what it is.
Well f***ing said.
👏👏👏👏👏

As I’ve said many times, if people take the crap attitude to an Adelaide reserves game that are often on display here it’s no wonder they’re not well received by other supporters and that in no way exonerates some of the behaviour of opposition supporters towards Adelaide supporters.
Personally I’ve never seen or heard too much that was over the top at a game except at port games where it always seems to have an air of antagonism.

Last edited:
To those in South Australia, how closely do people born after the Crows entered the AFL in 1991 follow the SANFL?

Are there lots of people in their twenties that think the SANFL is of a good standard and go to games?
Born in 85. Have a vague interest in WWT (mostly from seeing them on TV in my formative footy years, I remember Andrew Payze).

Have never attended a game though I do attempt to watch on TV.

A goodly proportion of the SANFL clubs players are from interstate State Leagues, younger interstate players that went undrafted in their draft year or former delisted or retired AFL players.

I don't mind guys coming from interstate to play. Makes the comp better. I think it's overplayed a bit rhough

So any comp outside the top tier is irrelevant? No one is pretending it's the top tier, it's a far better standard than SAAFL and country football so has a place. What's wrong with having something in between?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To those in South Australia, how closely do people born after the Crows entered the AFL in 1991 follow the SANFL?

Are there lots of people in their twenties that think the SANFL is of a good standard and go to games?
I see heaps of teens and young adults 20-30 years of age at Sturt games.

So MacPherson and Strachan Test. 2 handy ins hopefully plus Wright

F Wright Madgen Tahana
HF Dowling Gollant Clamp
C Cook Berry Boyle
HB McPherson Keane Hamill
B Parnell Borlase Bond
R Strachan Hately Brown
I Haysman McKenzie Newchurch O'Louglin

Borlase back and Strachan in the ruck makes us a far better team.

Borlase back and Strachan in the ruck makes us a far better team.
It does, but doesn't change the fact that the bodies around the ground for the top SANFL sides are much bigger than ours, especially now, leading to a much better ability to take contested marks and control the game.

I'm getting very sick of the oppo's ability to know where the ball drop is and monster our attempted markers.

I went to the game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Being a South supporter, I've not been to many finals :'(

Glenelg people were great, bit of banter was enjoyable, nothing nasty. We looked like kicking away with it early on, but their stronger bodies kept them in it. The umpiring is always fun, Glenelg fans thought they were hard done by cause I think we got the first 3-4 frees! Lachie Hosie seems an excellent prospect not sure why he never made it at North Melbourne.

I think if an AFL reserves comp came in, it would further erode the SANFL.

AFL clubs would need greater lists, can pay more, which I think would then drain the talent. AFL reserves would then be the second best comp in the land. More umpires required at that level as well, coaches etc. Sponsors & TV would shift to AFL Reserves.

SANFL will still be there but a shell of what it is today and its former self. Hey South might win a flag then :cool:

I think if an AFL reserves comp came in, it would further erode the SANFL.

AFL clubs would need greater lists, can pay more, which I think would then drain the talent. AFL reserves would then be the second best comp in the land. More umpires required at that level as well, coaches etc. Sponsors & TV would shift to AFL Reserves.

SANFL will still be there but a shell of what it is today and its former self. Hey South might win a flag then :cool:
Honestly, it's what the SANFL deserve.

Sure, on an individual level it's important, but also lets be real. In the football ecosystem, it's a irrelevant feeder competition with all the benefits/drawbacks that has. Part of that irrelevance means it avoids those negatives you alluded to with the AFL.

Saying "take your head out of your arse and take it for what it is" and complaining about what reserves teams do in the league aren't compatable statements. The reserve teams are keeping in line with what the SANFL is all about. Being primarily a bridging league between the amateurs and AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2023 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Back