• Doedee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schoenberg

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Milera

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a rumour. He wants to finish his medical degree. Has done 2 years, with another 4 to go.

In a recent interview he said the study is full time and he won't be finishing it until he finishes playing football.

Pretty sure you can still study medicine at Adelaide or Flinders uni's as well
I'm confused about what qualifications he has. Read somewhere recently that he has his medical degree and has two masters degrees and a phd. At least that's my maybe faulty memory at work. You'd surely be around 90 by the time you completed that much study.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm confused about what qualifications he has. Read somewhere recently that he has his medical degree and has two masters degrees and a phd. At least that's my maybe faulty memory at work. You'd surely be around 90 by the time you completed that much study.

Here's the article / interview if you're interested

Here's the article / interview if you're interested

Thanks PeterS, that was the article. I awarded him an unmerited PhD and made him a doctor instead of a Doctor of Biomedicine. 80-yo memory a bit faulty.
But he's certainly done an immense amount of study and more to come once he finishes with footy.

Thanks PeterS, that was the article. I awarded him an unmerited PhD and made him a doctor instead of a Doctor of Biomedicine. 80-yo memory a bit faulty.
But he's certainly done an immense amount of study and more to come once he finishes with footy.

Mathew Liptak was the similar .. started studying, played football and finished studying when he finished

Edit: just re-read the article, that's not quite right, anyway .. good on them

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SANFL clubs have a history of struggling financially, I remember when Norwood helped bail Port out decades ago.

Plenty of good players in the comp and the standard of football is still decent.
Unfortunately the clubs appear to prioritise interstate players (vfl) and local players get shunted to the reserves. My nephew was playing for South, made the seniors several times but got pushed out when they prioritised the interstate guys. Got paid diddly for a ridiculous level of commitment to the reserves so ended up leaving for the country league and getting paid far better and kicking bags of goals. South could have done with him this year I hear…

Unfortunately the clubs appear to prioritise interstate players (vfl) and local players get shunted to the reserves. My nephew was playing for South, made the seniors several times but got pushed out when they prioritised the interstate guys. Got paid diddly for a ridiculous level of commitment to the reserves so ended up leaving for the country league and getting paid far better and kicking bags of goals. South could have done with him this year I hear…

Rubbish, the club's don't prioritise interstate players. Good local players make it but plenty others don't but that happens in every sport.

Most clubs have a balance but it's good that a guy in his early 20's from interstate wants to put in the effort to get back the AFL system. Grant last night is a great example.

Sure it's a big committment but what's wrong with that? Alot worse things people could be doing with their time.

One of the big myths that there are all these guys who would be SANFL standard running around in country and the SAAFL. I gurantee you there are a few but most weren't good enough and can have good careers at their level.

It's a good comp and serves it's purpose.

Rubbish, the club's don't prioritise interstate players. Good local players make it but plenty others don't but that happens in every sport.

Most clubs have a balance but it's good that a guy in his early 20's from interstate wants to put in the effort to get back the AFL system. Grant last night is a great example.

Sure it's a big committment but what's wrong with that? Alot worse things people could be doing with their time.

One of the big myths that there are all these guys who would be SANFL standard running around in country and the SAAFL. I gurantee you there are a few but most weren't good enough and can have good careers at their level.

It's a good comp and serves it's purpose.
Well I'm just going by personal experience. You can say what you like, but some clubs absolutely do prioritise VFL players at the expense of local talent.

Well I'm just going by personal experience. You can say what you like, but some clubs absolutely do prioritise VFL players at the expense of local talent.
No club is going to prioritise Vic players over local talent if the local talent is better. Makes zero sense, they are not trying to pick a weaker team, the local talent they’ve spent resources developing the player through the junior years and they come cheaper and don’t have to recruit them.

You’re talking about one player being your nephew and using that as evidence. You live in QLD, besides your nephews experience you have no clue what’s happening at the other SANFL clubs.

No club is going to prioritise Vic players over local talent if the local talent is better. Makes zero sense, they are not trying to pick a weaker team, the local talent they’ve spent resources developing the player through the junior years and they come cheaper and don’t have to recruit them.

You’re talking about one player being your nephew and using that as evidence. You live in QLD, besides your nephews experience you have no clue what’s happening at the other SANFL clubs.
Yep the talent coming through SA isn’t deep enough so any club that looks outside SA is going to get a competitive advantage

And as a non drafted kid you’re bette riff going to sanfl as there are more standalone ( non afl affiliated ) clubs than the vfl

The old line I could of been anything on the football field if I put my heart into and had the time is a great pick up line. Generally isn't true. SANFL clubs don't lose that many to lower levels that they want to keep.

The large number of over paid interstate recruits is overblown. Norwood's premiership team had 16 of the 22 from SA.

Of those six they were bassically all from Tasmania or country Victoria. Just young guys trying to get better. Good luck to them.

An AFL reserves comp which basically exists at the moment won't change that too much.

so people would be glad for the sanfl to die but also complain about the standard of players coming through year on year. make it make sense. sanfl clubs go above and beyond what they get back in terms of effort into juniors and now the sanflw too. if the afl clubs want to spend even more money and resources to go play in a reserves league that will never happen then sure, but there isnt even any proof that this current system has worked any better than the mini draft system that actually forced accountability on players.

You are absolutely right and i apologise for generalising.

so people would be glad for the sanfl to die but also complain about the standard of players coming through year on year. make it make sense. sanfl clubs go above and beyond what they get back in terms of effort into juniors and now the sanflw too. if the afl clubs want to spend even more money and resources to go play in a reserves league that will never happen then sure, but there isnt even any proof that this current system has worked any better than the mini draft system that actually forced accountability on players.

The mini draft system resulted in players playing under different game plans, sometimes in different positions,feeling out of place in different teams. I would hate imagine us trying to do our list rebuild under those circumstances. That system was well and truly due for the chop. We now have our whole squad going in the same direction and that’s how it needs to stay. I think this is likely helping us to keep interstate players at the club. I don’t want the SANFL to die, I grew up with it. But I’m thoroughly sick of the SANFL supporters who constantly complain, the league itself for deliberately placing obstacles in our way, and the umpiring that at times crosses a line of blatant cheating. All this in spite of the fact that we pay $50,000 a year to the other clubs that some in particular can hardly afford to lose, and that our presence in the competition helps maintain interest, sponsorship and television coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The mini draft system resulted in players playing under different game plans, sometimes in different positions,feeling out of place in different teams. I would hate imagine us trying to do our list rebuild under those circumstances. That system was well and truly due for the chop. We now have our whole squad going in the same direction and that’s how it needs to stay. I think this is likely helping us to keep interstate players at the club. I don’t want the SANFL to die, I grew up with it. But I’m thoroughly sick of the SANFL supporters who constantly complain, the league itself for deliberately placing obstacles in our way, and the umpiring that at times crosses a line of blatant cheating. All this in spite of the fact that we pay $50,000 a year to the other clubs that some in particular can hardly afford to lose, and that our presence in the competition helps maintain interest, sponsorship and television coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
and how has it worked for the two afl clubs at the top level? the players across the mini draft at least had standards to meet with selection integrity. if you werent good enough you got dropped. now every afl listed player plays each week, and if you have an abundance of players in a certain position then they arent playing in that position anyways. plus playing a different style surely makes players more flexible and adaptable. certainly didnt hurt guys like brad crouch and dangerfield to play at west adelaide when it came to their afl careers. i know it's not going to come back but i dont buy the argument that the afl clubs are better off.

the umpiring affect each clubs. i know the raw numbers for port and crows are bad, but the truth is that there are **** all umpires for the level, which means it's not up to scratch. and port and adelaide havent helped with interest, port's crowds are significantly lower than they used to be and the crowd that crows bring to games wouldn't offset the amount of fans from sanfl clubs who will refuse to go to games with afl reserves teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2023 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Back