Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

yep

A generational talent is one singular player that dominates over all others for a decade and a half. A generation is approximately 15 years so.
That's the definition of what I'd consider a "once in a generation talent". As opposed to "generational talent" in the sense that the player is synonymous with that generation of players.

That's just my definition though.

And that's the problem with these types of labels (eg. "ELITE", "A/B/C grader", etc.). Everyone has their own definition and rarely clarifies what it is when they throw it around.

Votes getting tighter. Would've thought there'd be more love for Curtin on here.

View attachment 1848468
My preference is for duusma but im doubtful he lasts (ditto reid i guess lol). I think we will draft watson or curtin but that isnt reflected in the pole as it reflects who people want rather than who we would take of the first preference is unavailable. Be interesting if people could nominate 3 players in order.

Votes getting tighter. Would've thought there'd be more love for Curtin on here.

View attachment 1848468
I'd say most people don't want to be disappointed so they're picking the one they feel we're likely to get, hence the Duursma votes falling off so rapidly after North got the compo pick.

I'd say most people don't want to be disappointed so they're picking the one they feel we're likely to get, hence the Duursma votes falling off so rapidly after North got the compo pick.
My line of thinking is that both Duursma and Watson are going to be awesome talents but with Watson being the one that will come in from day 1 and contribute right away. This is not saying that he'll end up being better than Duursma but just that he'll take a similar amount of time as say someone like McCabe to fully develop to be able to contribute. IMO this is just another reason why I want us to draft Watson because if he comes in and kicks a goal or 2 a game he's going to make our side look so much more dangerous + exciting and push us into that group of teams just on the cusp of the top 8. The reason I feel this is so important is because it will give us a better shot at getting a commitment from pending free agents to join us and no I'm not talking about B / C grade FA's but good ones.

Anyways we only have 12 days to wait now so not too long to see what we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My line of thinking is that both Duursma and Watson are going to be awesome talents but with Watson being the one that will come in from day 1 and contribute right away. This is not saying that he'll end up being better than Duursma but just that he'll take a similar amount of time as say someone like McCabe to fully develop to be able to contribute. IMO this is just another reason why I want us to draft Watson because if he comes in and kicks a goal or 2 a game he's going to make our side look so much more dangerous + exciting and push us into that group of teams just on the cusp of the top 8. The reason I feel this is so important is because it will give us a better shot at getting a commitment from pending free agents to join us and no I'm not talking about B / C grade FA's but good ones.

Anyways we only have 12 days to wait now so not too long to see what we do.
There's probably some people who genuinely just rate Watson higher, but I'd say most people are resigned to Duursma being off the board at that point and are assuming West Coast will position themselves to take Curtin.

Cal Twomey gettable whispers:

Dan Curtin the draft shaper. North, Hawks, Melbourne or Cats - we will interview him again next week and decide between him and Watson. He should get past North and assuming West Coast keep pick 1.

Geelong likely to keep pick 8.

Cal Twomey gettable whispers:

Dan Curtin the draft shaper. North, Hawks, Melbourne or Cats - we will interview him again next week and decide between him and Watson. He should get past North and assuming West Coast keep pick 1.

Geelong likely to keep pick 8.
Would be really happy with either Curtin or Watson. Would just clarify that our big FA target next year will either be another defender (if we get Watson) or another forward (if we get Curtin).

Now that we have Ginnivan, it takes the pressure of Watson as an immediate need.

Everybody can say what they want, but if it genuinely comes down to a coin toss between Curtin and Watson we HAVE to go with the Wizard, with the go-home factor the major contributor re: Curtin.
Even if we don't consider him to be major flight risk.

Still think Watson suits us best anyway.

Everybody can say what they want, but if it genuinely comes down to a coin toss between Curtin and Watson we HAVE to go with the Wizard, with the go-home factor the major contributor re: Curtin.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Had to be done.

I think I'm back on the Curtin train. Getting him and McCabe could help set up our spine for the next 10+ years.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
He's said he sees himself as a mid.. I wouldnt be drafting to be play down back if that's where he sees himself/wants to play.

Just trade curtin for reid amd we get our man in the long run. 😉

A player leaving is a problem when you dont get value for them, like hill, but not if we get a deal done that worls for us. Can even work in our favour. Pick the best player and convince them they are at the right club should always be plan A unless there is a clear issue with the Player being away from home.

Back