Analysis 2023 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, but we had a blessed run with injuries in ‘22.

An important question is therefore which depth players are genuine AFL standard - as the odds are we’ll need them if we have a “normal” run with injury.
Good question.
I think the following would be OK.
Ladhams
McLean
Wicks
Amartey???
Campbell
Cunningham
Melican
Gould???
Francis???
Sheldrick???
Confident that those with the ??? would not disgrace themselves.
We have enough flexibility to utilize these guys.
Roberts is on the borderline IMO but probably not as a mid.
That would be 33, which should be enough, with the mids the Achilles heel, though we could give someone else a game to cover a short term injury.

My mindset jumps between:

"Wow we really over-achieved and are so young that we'll be able to contend for a while and are a real chance next year!"

and

"We suck, our system sucks. Our next premiership team hasn't even been born yet"

Way too often and quickly. Can the season start already?

I agree, but we had a blessed run with injuries in ‘22.

An important question is therefore which depth players are genuine AFL standard - as the odds are we’ll need them if we have a “normal” run with injury.
We had a great run, but can part of this be attributed to our medical staff and physio's? Seems like since they came in at the start of 2021 we have had a much better record with keeping guys on the park. Based on this I feel like we shouldn't need to be dipping too deep into the reserves of depth players.

My mindset jumps between:

"Wow we really over-achieved and are so young that we'll be able to contend for a while and are a real chance next year!"

and

"We suck, our system sucks. Our next premiership team hasn't even been born yet"

Way too often and quickly. Can the season start already?
There's some truth in the first para and if we work hard and have self-belief we will contend again. It won't just happen though.
Second para? Nah!

I will be. And that's not me being optimistic, it's me being realistic based on the very obvious indications their performance to date has shown.

May you keep those stars in your eyes.

We had a great run, but can part of this be attributed to our medical staff and physio's? Seems like since they came in at the start of 2021 we have had a much better record with keeping guys on the park. Based on this I feel like we shouldn't need to be dipping too deep into the reserves of depth players.
I’d like to think so - but there’s also an element of luck involved when it comes to injury.

Being a predominantly young team helps too.

At this stage, I feel like only Cunningham & Campbell could step into the firsts without being a downgrade on the best XXIII.

My hope, however, is that Sheldrick & Gould will take that step this year. And Ladhams too, if he gets his head in order.

I don’t have a lot of faith in Armatey, McLean, Wicks or Melican.

And Francis is a huge question mark.

I’d like to think so - but there’s also an element of luck involved when it comes to injury.

Being a predominantly young team helps too.

At this stage, I feel like only Cunningham & Campbell could step into the firsts without being a downgrade on the best XXIII.

My hope, however, is that Sheldrick & Gould will take that step this year. And Ladhams too, if he gets his head in order.

I don’t have a lot of faith in Armatey, McLean, Wicks or Melican.

And Francis is a huge question mark.
Definitely a big element of luck, but i also think we are controlling more of the controllables now and minimising some of the soft tissue injuries that plagued us in the past.

I'm also confident in the five you have mentioned that they would be able to step in and hold their own. I think Mclean and Wicks can also do a job if injuries hit in the forward line, esp if Wicks can get back to his 2021 form.

Concerned about Amartey and Melican though, think they have a lot to prove this year.

I hear you.. Its impossible to understand hoe Kinnear works??
I just reckon he plays a long game, over multiple draft / trade periods. Drafting Gruvewski wouldn't help us for another 4-5 years.. We've got Logan who still has a year or two to go and Im not sure 2 x young key forwards works. Im thinking we'll be trading a more mature kpf for next season (2024)
Definitely, they would have a short, medium and long term strategy. I'd bet they have a KPF target in mind for the 2023 trade period. We have an astute draft/trade team so have every confidence they're planning ahead. Sometimes it's hard to fill needs, especially being an interstate side, but I'm sure they have plans in place to do the best they can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the best 22 or 23 will be pretty close to the 25 or so players used in the last 10 or so weeks of last season. There are a few possible/probable retirements at the end of this season - Buddy, Hickey, Reid, a less likely Rampe, but who knows based on age and contract status,

Will be keen/hopeful to see who progresses during the season to replace the above in the longer term. Also as honest a player Clarke was in his designated role, personally hope someone can pop up in a similar role but with more attacking flair than Clarke offers.

Good question.
I think the following would be OK.
Ladhams
McLean
Wicks
Amartey???
Campbell
Cunningham
Melican
Gould???
Francis???
Sheldrick???
Confident that those with the ??? would not disgrace themselves.
We have enough flexibility to utilize these guys.
Roberts is on the borderline IMO but probably not as a mid.
That would be 33, which should be enough, with the mids the Achilles heel, though we could give someone else a game to cover a short term injury.
I am going to disagree ở Roberts. He needs to play mids.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am going to disagree ở Roberts. He needs to play mids.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Roberts is limited to starting in mids he may have to wait longer. I think back to Warner's first two games as a forward which were very ordinary but which seemed to give him a spurt for the next season. In any case I'll be surprised if he gets a run this season.

Think the best 22 or 23 will be pretty close to the 25 or so players used in the last 10 or so weeks of last season. There are a few possible/probable retirements at the end of this season - Buddy, Hickey, Reid, a less likely Rampe, but who knows based on age and contract status,

Will be keen/hopeful to see who progresses during the season to replace the above in the longer term. Also as honest a player Clarke was in his designated role, personally hope someone can pop up in a similar role but with more attacking flair than Clarke offers.

Only a 1 year deal for Clarke tells you a bit

Only a 1 year deal for Clarke tells you a bit
As does drafting Konstanty.
Ideally, we have Papley plus a player who is defensively as good as Clarke but offers more in attack, as others have pointed out, plus at least one in depth close to that standard.
After delisting Ronke and Bell we have those three now including Wicks with Konstanty putting pressure on Wicks and Clarke.
Great list management.
Sheldrick might get minutes too but it surely isn't his destination!

Have had some fun looking at the heat maps of some of our young guns to see what might evolve so I thought I'd share this resource

Quick look and Juzzy is similar across 2021/22 and so is Hayward which surprised me
What part of that is surprising? I thought in 2022 they both played pretty much the exact same roles they did in 2021, only Hayward improved while McInerney did the opposite.

Have had some fun looking at the heat maps of some of our young guns to see what might evolve so I thought I'd share this resource

Quick look and Juzzy is similar across 2021/22 and so is Hayward which surprised me
Phwoah look at Matty Roberts' heatmap

Really hope Campbell has put in the work of the off season.. he's too talented of a player to be languishing in the two's
Whenever we talk about bringing a player into the team I ask "who goes out?". Not counting injuries of course.
After some trial and error Wicks made way for Clarke with a successful change in role and game plan.
After an injury Cunningham made way for Florent who pushed back to make space for Stephens.
Both guys took their chance with both hands (as did Florent).
For the life of me I can't see where Campbell would make the team stronger, except as an injury replacement. This is a reflection of how strong we are across the board. Someone might lose form as Wicks did and give him a chance or get injured but otherwise I think he'll play a fair bit of VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back