2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

With all the rule changes in AFLW, I dunno why they've never considered making the fields 20m less at each end. Therefore 30m line instead of 50m.

One of the issues is because they can't kick far, so the ball takes forever to move from one teams attack to the other. I think this would increase the appeal of it as the ball will spend much more time in scoring areas.
So create a situation where no one has enough space to get their foot to the ball at all.

Eliminates complaing about kicking distance.

Ball will travel so little, you could put the goals at the edge of the centre square.

You could have a game on a soccer field.

I like it.

What would we call this new sport?

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is the opening curtain night though, flag unfurling. It was a disappointing TV ratings result and illustrates why the stakeholders need to be realistic around pay expectations, season length and venues.

Hopefully as the product improves, the standard lifts the fans take notice. There’s lots of work ahead to grow the game, expectation alignment is important so we don’t end up over investing in something that is yet to return dividends.
When you talk to people against the AFLW, it usually becomes apparent that quality is a talking point to justify why they hate it, it's not usually the reason they hate it.

So I don't expect rising quality to have much bearing if I'm honest.

Who is disappointed? If it's the AFL, they can be disappointed in themselves for fixturing a match that was always likely to be one-sided, thereby impacting TV ratings.
It wasn't one sided for most of the game, Collingwood were in front at half time and it was only late in the 3rd when Melbourne got on top. It wasn't the difference between 145k and 300k.

In saying that, anything over 100k is a good result for any AFLW game. Not sure what people were expecting, not many sporting leagues in the country (male or female) can get those numbers.

So create a situation where no one has enough space to get their foot to the ball at all.

Eliminates complaing about kicking distance.

Ball will travel so little, you could put the goals at the edge of the centre square.

You could have a game on a soccer field.

I like it.

What would we call this new sport?

Yeah going down to 16 players really helped the congestion too. In fact, daisy pearce said less players did nothing to improve congestion and if not actually it made it worse.

The congestion is made from the fact the ball barely moves, not a lack of space. Well that and the one thing the women are good at is applying pressure, which is easier to do when the ball doesn't travel much distance.

Last edited:
Will be the biggest crowd of the year.
Didn't even last 24 hours. 8,722 at Norwood Oval today.

With all the rule changes in AFLW, I dunno why they've never considered making the fields 20m less at each end. Therefore 30m line instead of 50m.
Sydney and GWS are playing at a 130m-long ground tomorrow. Will it result in above-average scoring? Possibly. Will it result in above-average stoppages? Certainly. We know this because it won't be the first AFLW game played at the ground.

It wasn't one sided for most of the game, Collingwood were in front at half time and it was only late in the 3rd when Melbourne got on top. It wasn't the difference between 145k and 300k.
It was one-sided for half of the game (the one which Melbourne kicked 8 goals to none, taking the lead with 2 goals in the first 4 minutes).

I don't know why you're bringing up 300k. 200k is top 20 territory, which would've been realistic with a closer game.

Sydney and GWS are playing at a 130m-long ground tomorrow. Will it result in above-average scoring? Possibly. Will it result in above-average stoppages? Certainly. We know this because it won't be the first AFLW game played at the ground.

It was one-sided for half of the game (the one which Melbourne kicked 8 goals to none, taking the lead with 2 goals in the first 4 minutes).

I don't know why you're bringing up 300k. 200k is top 20 territory, which would've been realistic with a closer game.

Nah, maybe 160k. At 9pm at night you're not likely to gain viewers, just not lose as many of them.

Crowd looks good at Frankston

Swans played at NSO last season.

Swans played at NSO last season.
Perhaps that's what I was referring to when I said "We know this because it won't be the first AFLW game played at the ground".

Annnyway, why are we talking about ground lengths in a crowds thread?? Oh, it's because the topic was brought up by the guy who insisted we stop talking about weather 2 pages ago.

Perhaps that's what I was referring to when I said "We know this because it won't be the first AFLW game played at the ground".

Annnyway, why are we talking about ground lengths in a crowds thread?? Oh, it's because the topic was brought up by the guy who insisted we stop talking about weather 2 pages ago.

Yeah that game at north Sydney on the small ground was one of the best women's games there has been, proving the point that the small ground is better. North should relocate there, ive been saying that for years.

Apology in order: I said this year's AFLW opener rated around the same mark as last season's, but checked this morning and there was a bigger improvement to the metro FTA than I remembered. It was 118k last season between Carlton and Collingwood in a closer match, as opposed to 145k between Melbourne and Collingwood in a not close game.

Yeah that game at north Sydney on the small ground was one of the best women's games there has been, proving the point that the small ground is better. North should relocate there, ive been saying that for years.
Not a great edited response, but more creative than your original, which was rather revealing.

If you like high stoppage football, then no doubt it was one of the best women's games ever. If you like high scoring football, it wasn't even close to one of the best women's games ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLW crowds so far

8,412 Princess Park - Melbourne vs Pies
3,244 Princess Park - Carlton vs Gold Coast
8,722 Norwood Oval - Adelaide vs Port
4,404 Kadina Park - Geelong vs Bulldogs
3,722 Frankston Oval - Hawks vs Essendon
The 3,722 at Frankston I understand sets an attendance record for the venue, at least as far back as 2003 thst ‘Aus stadiums’ tracks crowds.

Only selling the front 10 rows in the AFL members on level 4, currently at Q20 and it goes to Q28.
The middle and back will be available for walk-up on the day.

Also I believe they are only selling general admission tickets up to level P... so the top half of the both stands top deck should be unsold.

From what I can gather this may represent what has been sold... I have no idea about the MCC though.

View attachment 1792013
Have you got an update on this mate by any chance?

Great crowd and atmosphere at the small picturesque North Sydney Oval which is ideal for AFLW matches.

And for two average teams the scoring shots are up because of the smaller ground. In fact higher than the Brisbane and Richmond game between two better teams on at the same time (at 3qt time). Sorry teen wolf.

Really solid start to the AFLW season.

40K to 45K aggregate crowds. Over 500K for the two released AFLW channel 7 games (including total tv plus fox and kayo). You'd think over 1 million aggregate for the round

Important to note that no other sport is getting those numbers, men's or women's domestic competition, other than the AFLM NRLM and BBLM

Hopefully now we can sustain 75% of those numbers into the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back