List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick swap of 1sts and 2nds. We'd lose our 2nd pick this year which is effectively a 2nd rounder.
Some chump change either way and you're done.

I'm not keen on moving around much and would rather keep next year's first in place. After about pick 8 it should be a lottery. I reckon it's one of those drafts that a lot of the best talent might come from between picks 18 and 30. We should be able to get a couple of solid players at those pick. I hated this draft at first but think it looks like a good gamblers draft. Plenty of decent players around but just have to have a bit of luck.

Pick swap of 1sts and 2nds. We'd lose our 2nd pick this year which is effectively a 2nd rounder.
Some chump change either way and you're done.

Big NO to using TWO first round picks to get Edwards.
Especially since there is half a chance you'd get him with one of them.

Ouch.

See if it plays out like that, do you take Murphy or one of the HBF's?
If we grabbed Edwards with our first, we've taken a guy who would be there at our second. ( if it plays out like that ).

We could end up with Murphy , Edwards, and Simpson , which would be fantastic, but no guarantee that any of them would actually be available at those picks.

If we grabbed Edwards with our first, we "might" still be able to get Simpson with our 3rd.
Who would we get at second pick?
Moir? Hall? Callinan? Sanchez? Is Patton too short? Zakostelsky?

Ouch.

See if it plays out like that, do you take Murphy or one of the HBF's?
If we grabbed Edwards with our first, we've taken a guy who would be there at our second. ( if it plays out like that ).

We could end up with Murphy , Edwards, and Simpson , which would be fantastic, but no guarantee that any of them would actually be available at those picks.

If we grabbed Edwards with our first, we "might" still be able to get Simpson with our 3rd.
Who would we get at second pick?
Moir? Hall? Callinan? Sanchez? Is Patton too short? Zakostelsky?
Would love to get zakostelaky but I don't think we have a pick to get him , will go around 25 to 32 before bids

I'm not keen on moving around much and would rather keep next year's first in place. After about pick 8 it should be a lottery. I reckon it's one of those drafts that a lot of the best talent might come from between picks 18 and 30. We should be able to get a couple of solid players at those pick. I hated this draft at first but think it looks like a good gamblers draft. Plenty of decent players around but just have to have a bit of luck.
Toce will earn his money this draft!

Would love to get zakostelaky but I don't think we have a pick to get him , will go around 25 to 32 before bids

It will be interesting to see how deep this draft runs. There was lots of noise about clubs bailing out after pick 40. If lots of clubs start dropping out after 40 there might be a few late bargains that could fall to our pick 90 or what ever it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

45. SHAUN MANNAGH

Position:
Small forward/midfielder

Size: 175cm

Clubs: Werribee (VFL)/Lavington

AFL player comparison: Jordan De Goey

The best mature-age prospect up for grabs after a mighty VFL campaign full of eye-catching performances. He won the Norm Goss Medal for the best player in the VFL grand final — despite Werribee’s loss to Gold Coast — after kicking six goals from 28 disposals. But it wasn’t his only standout game for the year. He kicked four goals from 40 touches against Southport in Round 3 then slotted a lazy seven majors from 25 disposals against Sandringham in Round 15. From his 21 games, he’s kicked 40.32 and averaged 25 touches per outing. AFL clubs in recent years have preferred to take mature-age players via the SSP after having a close look at them as train-on players. But Mannagh’s form has been so good that a club surely has to take him in the national draft.

We wanted Jordan last year do you think we will go for Shaun with our third pick?

40. COOPER SIMPSON

Position:
Midfielder

Size: 182cm

Clubs: Dandenong Stingrays/Mt Martha

AFL player comparison: Luke Davies-Uniacke

An ankle injury in his first champs game meant he missed the remaining three matches for Vic Country, but recruiters certainly haven’t gotten the AFL potential of this well-balanced on-baller. He averaged 24 disposals across his first three Talent League games for the Stingrays, while also finishing with 11 touches, seven contested possessions and three centre clearances for the AFL Academy against Port’s SANFL side. He then finished with three strong games for Dandenong: 2.1 from 22 touches against the Bushrangers, 28 disposals and eight marks against the Devils then 2.1 from 20 disposals against Gippsland. Speedy, cool under pressure and clean with ball in-hand, Simpson is also a big moments player that steps up when his team needs him most. Add in his ultra professionalism, elite burstaway speed and evasive step in traffic and you’ve got yourself an AFL player. He could be taken a lot earlier on draft night.

Hope we select Cooper

Toce will earn his money this draft!
If he can repeat what he‘s done the last two years I’ll be happy. Nas and the poo have all the tools to be stars, that in a nutshell is what we need with our first pick again this year. If you draft slow little guys who can’t kick despite having some nice tricks they will always be limited by that. There‘s always the argument around do you take the footballer or the athlete but at pick one and two you should really be able to get both but it’s worth remembering you can develop someones game you can’t make them quicker, taller or a booming kick.

40. COOPER SIMPSON

Position:
Midfielder

An ankle injury in his first champs game meant he missed the remaining three matches for Vic Country, but recruiters certainly haven’t gotten the AFL potential of this well-balanced on-baller. He averaged 24 disposals across his first three Talent League games for the Stingrays, while also finishing with 11 touches, seven contested possessions and three centre clearances for the AFL Academy against Port’s SANFL side. He then finished with three strong games for Dandenong: 2.1 from 22 touches against the Bushrangers, 28 disposals and eight marks against the Devils then 2.1 from 20 disposals against Gippsland. Speedy, cool under pressure and clean with ball in-hand, Simpson is also a big moments player that steps up when his team needs him most. Add in his ultra professionalism, elite burstaway speed and evasive step in traffic and you’ve got yourself an AFL player. He could be taken a lot earlier on draft night.

Hope we select Cooper
1.Edwards
2.Coops
3.Mannagh
4.Visentini

SSP
5.Stewart ???
6.N.Long ???

NGA
7.Docking ???
8.Irish

54. Harvey Johnston

VIC Metro/Sandringham Dragons

MID, 183cm, 79kg

One of the draft’s best kicks of the football, Johnston’s left foot was pivotal in his role for the Sandringham Dragons as they stormed home to record back to back Coates Talent League premierships. The Victoria Metro product is an evasive mover, working his way through traffic nicely throughout the year, while predominately favouring his disposal by hand as he settled into a role at half forward role during the Championships.

He would be one to consider

1.Edwards
2.Coops
3.Mannagh
4.Visentini

SSP
5.Stewart ???
6.N.Long ???

NGA
7.Docking ???
8.Irish
I think I read somewhere that we were hoping to re-sign McKenzie in the SSP if his body held up over preseason..? Fingers crossed it does…could be a real weapon in a Ross team

40. COOPER SIMPSON

Position:
Midfielder

Hope we select Cooper

Its interesting how some media attention alters players perceived draft rankings. Simpson has been getting pumped up in the past couple of weeks. From the average Saints supporters POV he has gone from perhaps being available at our pick #40, to possibly having to be taken at #26 if we want him. I still think players like Mannagh, McAuliffe or other list need players eg key defenders, ruckman will be available at our pick #40.

I hope the club are aggressive in their approach at the draft and take as many picks as possible! Personally I would have liked to have seen Allison paid out and delisted to open up another position. We need a ready to go key defender eg Stewart SSP and hopefully McKenzie gets himself going. But a perfect draft would be 4 x players IMO.

Last edited:
If he can repeat what he‘s done the last two years I’ll be happy. Nas and the poo have all the tools to be stars, that in a nutshell is what we need with our first pick again this year. If you draft slow little guys who can’t kick despite having some nice tricks they will always be limited by that. There‘s always the argument around do you take the footballer or the athlete but at pick one and two you should really be able to get both but it’s worth remembering you can develop someones game you can’t make them quicker, taller or a booming kick.
Toce gets a big tick for Nas and Wilkie on talent identification but in reality all of Pou, Chito, Windy, Hotton and Keeler basically picked themselves for various reasons and Libba was still the main man for all of them.
We'll know more on 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back