List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

We need mids, mids, mids, a KPD, small Forward, HBF and a ruckman.
So the entire field ha
The general consensus has been: minor talk about Collard, none that I can recall about Roberts.
I wasnt looking for discussion on the first 2 picks but using that as a guide as to how it influences the 3rd pick (ie what you need at 42? if youve taken a small forward and rebounding half back already)

So the entire field ha

I wasnt looking for discussion on the first 2 picks but using that as a guide as to how it influences the 3rd pick (ie what you need at 42? if youve taken a small forward and rebounding half back already)
Probably would have grabbed a mid with the second pick, but since we didn’t we will need one with the third

Our list holes won’t be sorted this draft.
Mids must be the priority with our first 2 picks, then a ruckman, medium defender or small forward with our 3rd pick as there’d be no real quality tall defenders left by then.
Sounds like we’re looking at Stewart in the SSP…not sure why? 30 years old, injury prone & inconsistent!!

Yes we want mids, mids, mids. and this is our biggest need. However, from what the club has said I think that they will be patient and seek to do this over say a three year period.

Mids, mids, mids may not happen this year, or even a one mid just given that we have no early picks and so the club may end up just taking whomever they rate the most when our picks present. If two players are line ball, then the mid would be taken.

While our first pick may have some reasonable mids to pick from, there could also still be another player type available whom we rate as being a significantly better player.

Who other clubs take will decide our hand. It may be a rated (by us) mid slides to us, or it may be that our first pick or they may all be gone, and where another position type is to our recruiters a class above the mids left.

Our recruitment team have long known this and this is probably a key reason why they sought to lock in both Dow and Henry as trades, and why they reportedly took a look at gaining Shiel if the price was right (and before more injury issues surfaced).

It may be too that if we miss out on drafting a mid, that we may look at some of the young delisted mids as DFAs or SSP as back up and depth.

Toce gets a big tick for Nas and Wilkie on talent identification but in reality all of Pou, Chito, Windy, Hotton and Keeler basically picked themselves for various reasons and Libba was still the main man for all of them.
We'll know more on 2 years.
I have liked our recent drafting even adams was a good pick Imo, he had sticky hands and played a variety of positions. Everyone of those players has the necessary talent to make in at afl level imo. Now you also need the work ethic etc but clearly we’ve flipped the script from some truly horrible draft choices in the past and I’m very happy with what the clubs doing. I’m also a big wrap for selecting locals and if it’s a close call between players at our picks I hope they take that into consideration.

Mids must be the priority with our first 2 picks, then a ruckman, medium defender or small forward with our 3rd pick as there’d be no real quality tall defenders left by then.
Sounds like we’re looking at Stewart in the SSP…not sure why? 30 years old, injury prone & inconsistent!!
Key forwards: King Keeler Caminiti Membrey Hayes

Key Backs: Howard Cordy Van Es Wilkie

Rucks: Marshall Campbell Heath

Thought it was pretty obvious mate. Key stocks are light on and when you look at what’s on the list, the bolded missed games through injuries.

Marshall not bolded as he played. But carried a few injuries all year.

Stewart can provide coverage for 12 months in all 3 areas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have liked our recent drafting even adams was a good pick Imo, he had sticky hands and played a variety of positions. Everyone of those players has the necessary talent to make in at afl level imo. Now you also need the work ethic etc but clearly we’ve flipped the script from some truly horrible draft choices in the past and I’m very happy with what the clubs doing. I’m also a big wrap for selecting locals and if it’s a close call between players at our picks I hope they take that into consideration.

I actually quite like that we aren't as slow to make calls on players too. Adams was good enough to persist with but we made a bold call and didn't hold him for 4 years to make it. The tempo of the whole organisation has gone up.

Yeh ok ill grab a mid

Just thought

Pou
Michito
Owens
Hunter Clark
Sinclair
Steele (5 years)
Hotton (Not sure how hes tracking from memory had his injuries this year?)

Was a decent midfield long medium to long term

Yeh ok ill grab a mid

Just thought

Pou
Michito
Owens
Hunter Clark
Sinclair
Steele (5 years)
Hotton (Not sure how hes tracking from memory had his injuries this year?)

Was a decent midfield long medium to long term

Sinclair is a running HB who can play mid, Phillipou and Owens are forward/ mids who may transition to full time on-ballers or Bont like hybrids, Clark is still a maybe, probably on his last chance and is very slow. Windhager is probably the most natural full time mid out of the youth. Hotton was injured most of the year and we don't know what he's capable of but also played best as a forward in juniors. We probably need outside run and a couple of extractors. Lyon likes guys who can two-way run.

Will Dawson a 200cm from Gippsland Power will be worth looking at. Most importantly he can win one on one contests without going to the ground like other higher rated tall defenders. Projected as a late draft/rookie pick - Wil Dawson

Stewart would make sense as a cheaper back up, but I wonder if SOS has considered my man Patrick Voss. I havent read any where of clubs interested in him so perhaps that boat has sailed.

Stavro forgot Josh Battle in his list of key defenders but we are still light on. You would think we cant keep expecting to fill these roles with bit players, at some stage we have to select and develop our own eg Van Es.

Hi guys, just after some knowledge of your list...seems fairly well balanced

So far i have Stkilda taking

L.Collard at 18 (After bids) Small FWD
A.Roberts at 26 (After bids) HBF

And now im upto your 3rd pick (Pick 42)

What type of players would you want at that range

There isnt much left there in regards to KPF (R.Weatherill, L.Lloyd 193cm undersized) or rucks (Visentini)

Last year Hotton medium mid
Keeler Ruck/Fwd
James Van Ess KPD

Phillipou, Windhaegar and M.Owens look the future of the midfield
Simpson, Stevens, Mannaugh or Moir still on the board?

Lloyd I'd consider.

Simpson, Stevens, Mannaugh or Moir still on the board?

Lloyd I'd consider.
All those 4 except Moir

I may probably pull the gun on G.Stevens

Collard
A.Roberts
G.Stevens

Would be a pretty good mix this year. Roberts could be considered a mid aswell because if he comes on as a HBF it ultimately means Sinclair and Hunter Clark can be full time mids which weve seen to some degree of success, certainly have in Sinclairs case. I actually thought H.Clark was pretty good at times this year - He is running on the spot though

Last edited:
Look, I want best available.

But if we load up on mids. I want 3 different types of midfielders.

The beauty of our position in the draft is the players rated around our picks are all different but typically have our biggest need speed - Wilson (186cm balanced mid), Windsor (184cm wingman), Leake (187cm mid/flanker), DeMattia (185cm mid/forward), Tholstrup (186cm powerful mid-forward), Edwards (191cm balanced mid), Simpson (181cm balance mid), Johnston (183cm mid accumulator).

Given we will be fortunate if Wilson & Wilson make it through to us, then it will be a choice of the remainder for our first two picks.

Last edited:
Yeah l wish we had a couple more picks now but l guess it'll work out to having a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th should we want to pluck one from the dregs.

The reality is we need at least one of everything apart from a KPF so despite my personal preferences there's nothing gonna surprise me this year.
I'll bet there's players in there that no one here has even considered much like Nas wasn't, and look how that turned out.

We don't need mids if we have our long term core in place already. Realistically, clubs have a strong trio in at CBAs that they mix and match, with Steele, Crouch, and Ross generally been those 3 for the past few years.

Scud and Mitch would appear to be the two I'd build around moving forward, there is room for one more, and then you add in the Clark's, Windhagers, and the like into the mix.

I actually think we should be thinking FA for that third spot if one bobs up, but we just need quality.

We don't need mids if we have our long term core in place already. Realistically, clubs have a strong trio in at CBAs that they mix and match, with Steele, Crouch, and Ross generally been those 3 for the past few years.

Scud and Mitch would appear to be the two I'd build around moving forward, there is room for one more, and then you add in the Clark's, Windhagers, and the like into the mix.

I actually think we should be thinking FA for that third spot if one bobs up, but we just need quality.
Quality free agents are very hard to come by for clubs like ours unfortunately

Hi guys, just after some knowledge of your list...seems fairly well balanced

So far i have Stkilda taking

L.Collard at 18 (After bids) Small FWD
A.Roberts at 26 (After bids) HBF

And now im upto your 3rd pick (Pick 42)

What type of players would you want at that range

There isnt much left there in regards to KPF (R.Weatherill, L.Lloyd 193cm undersized) or rucks (Visentini)

Last year Hotton medium mid
Keeler Ruck/Fwd
James Van Ess KPD

Phillipou, Windhaegar and M.Owens look the future of the midfield
Would give up if they were our first two selections.
One of the few positions weren't need are small forwards and HBF'ers

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back