Player Watch 2023 Father Son player watch - McCabe, Dear and Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I keep deleting posts referencing this, but can we move away from suggesting or making juvenile jokes about the bloodlines of players.

This is a public forum and parents of players do read here.

I'm totally against the naysayers for McCabe. Maybe they watched the video in 144p resolution or they just want him to go as third round pick.

I noticed a lot of aggression for a young player, one of the first things I tend to look for if I was a recruiter, as generally it's something hard to teach. Yes he fumbled and made some mistakes but that's because he was getting to contests.

You know there's a guy called Harley Reid that played in that game, McCabe beat him to three contests. Maybe you rate Reid and maybe you don't, but if you do it's probably worth mentioning, particularly because Reid doesn't lack agression.

Another thing I noticed was his off the ball movement and reading of play as good. Generally made a good decision to impact the contest, even if it's on the ground, which is impressive for 197cm or to hang off or run around for a receive.

Why?
Because its contrary to your view.

In that package of clips, McCabe played just a game.
His disposal was pretty neat, especially his hands.

But otherwise it was pretty unremarkable.
That's not being critical to say that. Its what it was.
It's the fact that the OP thought they were his highlights. Which they weren't. I think this started the misunderstanding.

McCabe is a kid. Let’s see where he’s at in 4 years time. He goes where he goes, my hope is second round as once you get past the first round it’s easy to match with nothing picks.
First sensible post in a while on this thread

Has there ever been a Father/Son who's gone at "overs" in the draft? They always seem to slide, like Daicos at 4, Davey til 40s, even Maginness slid to 31 after being touted in 20s.

Lends weight to the theory that clubs generally have a gentlemens agreement to get these guys to their clubs.

Has there ever been a Father/Son who's gone at "overs" in the draft? They always seem to slide, like Daicos at 4, Davey til 40s, even Maginness slid to 31 after being touted in 20s.

Lends weight to the theory that clubs generally have a gentlemens agreement to get these guys to their clubs.
I suspect it’s more that some clubs don’t invest the time in those players to price them efficiently while some clubs no doubt do the work and are willing to bid. Sydney know where they rate players and are willing to bid. We bid on Campbell as early as we could.

I suspect it’s more that some clubs don’t invest the time in those players to price them efficiently while some clubs no doubt do the work and are willing to bid. Sydney know where they rate players and are willing to bid. We bid on Campbell as early as we could.
I think Academy players are different though. There does seem to be cases of Academy players getting bids over where they were expected.

But I can't really recall that being the case with F/S as much

I think Academy players are different though. There does seem to be cases of Academy players getting bids over where they were expected.

But I can't really recall that being the case with F/S as much
Max michalanney in 2022. I think most had him second round. Jasper fletcher was late first maybe even early second and went at 13. That is just from last year. I als recall Darcy was bid on at pick 2 which is pretty much the upper limit of where he could go. Not suggesting there are heaps but it does happen.

There has been a few academy players, as you note. Hawthorn specific, Mosi by Essendon as an academy went way higher than we had him. And cooper vickery also went before we could match.

Early days but Sam Darcy at pick 2 perhaps.

Could see Sydney bidding on McCabe if he keeps improving and if they have no stand out academy picks, we bidded on their player and from all accounts jumped on weddle before they could.

Could see Sydney bidding on McCabe if he keeps improving and if they have no stand out academy picks, we bidded on their player and from all accounts jumped on weddle before they could.
With pick four in the 2023 AFL draft, Sydney have selected William McCabe, from Central Districts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With their pick?

Campbell was rated where we bid on him and we genuinely wanted him. They got their "revenge" when they bid on Vickery last year.

And if they wanted Weddle then they shouldn't have live traded us the pick we used to get him.

Campbell was rated where we bid on him and we genuinely wanted him. They got their "revenge" when they bid on Vickery last year.

And if they wanted Weddle then they shouldn't have live traded us the pick we used to get him.
I don’t disagree but this is Sydney, been watching our list for the last 10 years

If it was revenge, they took a punt on the wrong one just like Dodo did a few years back.
Vickery has been struggling from what I have been told and is barely averaging 10 possessions a game

He should have been bid on by North Melbourne at 3.

Early days but Sam Darcy at pick 2 perhaps.
Has had poor luck with injuries. Watching his first couple of AFL games was enough to see his talent. You wouldn't expect a giraffe like that to show anything in their first 6 games, but he showed plenty. Should've gone pick 1.

Can't wait to see McCabe in our back six and another gun in our forward line... although it's true that settling in the backline is a pretty recent move for Will, maybe there's still a chance we try to use him up forward.

By all accounts McCabe sounds like a great prospect for us. I hope that us supporters don’t place unrealistic expectations on him. We need to treat him as a new draftee, the same as everyone else we draft this year. Some of the criticism that Finn McGuiness, Will Langford ect received(s) I think at times is a little bit harsh because of of who their fathers were.

don't think he's worth their first pick, and don't care if he slides to their 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back