Preview 2023 Fixture - hopes, dreams, dreads

Remove this Banner Ad

So will be in Brisbane June 3 with some mates on my birthday. We had fingers and toes crossed for a Brisbane /Gold Coast game that day. What a tease getting a Gold Coast game..... in Darwin! Have GC even played a home game in Darwin before? I'm sure the Darwinites will be happy. Fixture gods can be cruel sometimes.

Carlton has been handed another blockbuster clash in 2023, with reports the Blues will open the AFL’s new ‘Gather Round’ in South Australia.

7NEWS’ Tom Browne says the Blues and Crows will play the first match of Round 5 on the Thursday night – April 13 – at Adelaide Oval.

The decision means there will be no Gather Round Showdown as some punters had hoped.

Carlton has been handed another blockbuster clash in 2023, with reports the Blues will open the AFL’s new ‘Gather Round’ in South Australia.

7NEWS’ Tom Browne says the Blues and Crows will play the first match of Round 5 on the Thursday night – April 13 – at Adelaide Oval.

The decision means there will be no Gather Round Showdown as some punters had hoped.

Port said they didn't want a showdown, and fair enough.

Well that's 3 rounds for the Crows confirmed.
Just waiting on the rest to be able to plan my 2023 trips. Yawn !!!! This is SUCH a Micky Mouse competition.
Have a date where you release the rigged fixture every year and stick to it. Love that they only give you full details on the first 15 rounds in case they need to further rig the comp on the fly next year.
All Vic teams playing blockbusters at home in round 1 .....dummy spit at the World Cup.
I Love the sport, but geez it's just SUCH a VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then they’ll use the low crowds to justify why it needs to be played in Melbourne where they will put up blockbuster games
100%. It's a multi year plan to give Victorian clubs an extra home game

Can I assume that they will now upgrade the grandstand seating at Norwood Oval, and put in some temporary stands? I know not great games there, but last time I went to the Parade (a fair while ago given) it was pretty run down and the concrete "seating" was still there on the terraces...

Gee that is terrible. If they really wanted to make it worthwhile and a success, that is not the draw you would put out.

Adelaide V Carlton on a Thursday will kick it off pretty well. Will be a pretty big crowd. Hopefully we as a club go back to making these games 'events' again. The last two years have been so boring. Approx 45,000

Fremantle V Gold Coast on a Friday afternoon. Even Norwood won't be sold out. Horrible. Approx 6,000
Richmond V Sydney in the blockbuster slot on a Friday night? Wow. They must be expecting a lot of people from Melbourne to come over. Not expecting a big crowd though. Disappointing not to have two good drawing teams. Should be a decent game though, so there is some hope. Approx 25,000

Brisbane V North in the 'Adelaide Hills' on a Saturday. Fair. No-one wants to watch that game. Hopefully a few thousand locals will show up. Should have had the game down the south East so they could promote Lachie Neale. Approx 6,000

Essendon V Melbourne Sat afternoon. At least two teams that might draw a decent crowd. Approx 25,000
Port V Bulldogs Sat night. Good choice. Will get a good Crowd for that one as a LOT of the Victorians that cam over Friday night (Richmond fans) or Sat morning (Essendon, Melbourne) will want to go to that game as well. Great way to artificially boost Ports crowd (notice we don't get that benefit being on a Thursday?) Approx 50,000

Geelong V West Coast on a Sunday afternoon at AO. Will not be a big crowd. Approx 20,000
GWS V Hawks at Norwood on Sunday afternoon. Again very small crowd. Approx 6,000
Collingwood V St Kilda at AO on Sunday afternoon. They will be hoping lots of Collingwood supporters travel over and the other Victorian supporters are still around. Can't imagine many Saints supporters wanting to make the trip. Approx 25,000

A few years ago I used to do weekend footy trips to Melbourne with my Dad. We would pick a weekend the Crows were playing, fly Friday afternoon, go to the Friday night game at the MCG (There is always a Friday night game in Melb), go to the Crows inevitable Sat afternoon game, go to a Sat night game (usually at Marvel) and then go to a Sunday game before flying home. It was great fun.
The VFL will be hoping that a lot of Victorian supporters do the same and come over with the intention of going to as many games as possible.

I would expect there will be at least 20-30,000 that will travel from Melbourne. Regardless of what happens in terms of game attendance, it will be a massive tourism boost for the city. The city, pubs, hotels and restaurants will be packed that weekend.

Can I assume that they will now upgrade the grandstand seating at Norwood Oval, and put in some temporary stands? I know not great games there, but last time I went to the Parade (a fair while ago given) it was pretty run down and the concrete "seating" was still there on the terraces...
I agree, the AFL and State Government should upgrade the Norwood Oval. Thanks.

It's bizarre from a number of factors

Putting Collingwood vs St Kilda on the Sunday afternoon at 4.40pm makes it inconvenient for Melbourne fans travelling to get back that night. That fixture and the atrocious Geelong vs West Coast that no one will want to attend should be swapped.

Richmond vs Sydney will be a genuinely good game that would draw a crowd in Melbourne or Sydney usually. But it's on a Friday night, so hard for travelling compared to a Saturday game.

I would have put the Richmond game on the Saturday night and Port on the Friday night. Fans travelling on Friday can see Port, then attend a double header of Essendon vs Melbourne and Richmond vs Sydney. Those arriving Saturday morning can still attend the two decent Saturday games, finish up with Collingwood on the Sunday then fly back.

Luckily they've done most of the leg work in previous seasons
I wonder which Victorian fairtytale we will get in 2023? :think:

Its been a long time since the Blues won a flag, so thats a consideration.

However its been over 3 years since the Tigers last won a flag at the G. :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Fixture - hopes, dreams, dreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back