Preview 2023 Fixture - hopes, dreams, dreads

Remove this Banner Ad

It's bizarre from a number of factors

Putting Collingwood vs St Kilda on the Sunday afternoon at 4.40pm makes it inconvenient for Melbourne fans travelling to get back that night. That fixture and the atrocious Geelong vs West Coast that no one will want to attend should be swapped.

Richmond vs Sydney will be a genuinely good game that would draw a crowd in Melbourne or Sydney usually. But it's on a Friday night, so hard for travelling compared to a Saturday game.

I would have put the Richmond game on the Saturday night and Port on the Friday night. Fans travelling on Friday can see Port, then attend a double header of Essendon vs Melbourne and Richmond vs Sydney. Those arriving Saturday morning can still attend the two decent Saturday games, finish up with Collingwood on the Sunday then fly back.

Remember this round follows Easter and on Easter Monday both Hawks and Geelong play so they needed to play them on a Sunday (6 day break). Not sure ALPA is keen on 5 day breaks.

I wonder which Victorian fairtytale we will get in 2023? :think:

Its been a long time since the Blues won a flag, so thats a consideration.

However its been over 3 years since the Tigers last won a flag at the G. :drunk:
Melbourne redemption arc?
Geelong before the fall? Literal fall, their players are old and may break their hips.

What are people's thoughts on Norwood hosting the two games for Gather Round? Unless it's dramatically changed from my last visit it's a tiny playing surface and the facilities are ancient.

Personal bias I wanted Glenelg as it's walking distance from my house, but also a beautiful ground with better public transport than Norwood.

What are people's thoughts on Norwood hosting the two games for Gather Round? Unless it's dramatically changed from my last visit it's a tiny playing surface and the facilities are ancient.

Personal bias I wanted Glenelg as it's walking distance from my house, but also a beautiful ground with better public transport than Norwood.

The changerooms got upgraded in 2020 (with the visitors rooms now in the Western Stand), and there was some coincidental upgrade to some toilet facilities as part of the Wolf Blass Taj Mahal constructed in the south west corner of the ground.

The ground now has LED advertising boards, and I believe the lights have been replaced with LED's as well.

On the flip side, the video screen can't show video and the score at the same time without crashing, the terraces are in a pretty poor state, and the less said about the other toilets around the ground the better.

Also, Glenelg is a smaller ground than Norwood, is the only SANFL ground with an analogue timeclock (the club had to bring their training time clock when the AFLW played there in August), and the centre wicket area could be an issue if it's a wet week in the lead up to the game.

The changerooms got upgraded in 2020 (with the visitors rooms now in the Western Stand), and there was some coincidental upgrade to some toilet facilities as part of the Wolf Blass Taj Mahal constructed in the south west corner of the ground.

The ground now has LED advertising boards, and I believe the lights have been replaced with LED's as well.

On the flip side, the video screen can't show video and the score at the same time without crashing, the terraces are in a pretty poor state, and the less said about the other toilets around the ground the better.

Also, Glenelg is a smaller ground than Norwood, is the only SANFL ground with an analogue timeclock (the club had to bring their training time clock when the AFLW played there in August), and the centre wicket area could be an issue if it's a wet week in the lead up to the game.
And the dining and pub facilities on the parade before and after, the games penciled in shouldn’t present a parking problem

Also the only ground where they can’t be arsed painting the 50m lines properly.

Also the only ground where they can’t be arsed painting the 50m lines properly.

That's because they don't want to expose just how small the oval is :D

Not that the AFL would've noticed - they still put '50' on the arcs for the AFLW game despite the arcs only being 45 metres

This from the AFL website should have read - Adelaide outgoing captain Rory Sloane said the round would be an "incredible" celebration of the game in South Australia.

So what are the dimensions of Norwood Oval? Don't think I'll have a beer if I go there, the toilet descriptions sound like something in the Gulag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some pretty crappy games in that lot
Would be better off having the SA sides play gws and gc. Our crowds will be the same as what a normal round would be. Free up the vic clubs for some better match ups.

It’s a shame, a lot of clubs are well supported here, and some will travel for it. The success will be in the fixture, and it’s pretty average.

Just lip service from the VFL, "look we played a whole round interstate", whilst the Vic bias continues.

Can't beleive so many are getting sucked into it.
During the covid hubs I liked the idea of neutral venue games. There needs to be blockbusters though. It’s an extra round, why can’t it be Collingwood v Carlton?

w

where has r4 been announced?

Fremantle supporters.

It is Easter and we will be playing at home.

Unless it is a Thursday night game (unlikely) then we will play Good Friday (6 day break) to enable to play on Thursday of the Gather Round. Therefore Carlton will play North Melbourne earlier on Good Friday.

All logical once you get a few pieces together.

PS : then again perhaps not as Fremantle plays West Coast in the derby on Sunday before Easter. Only a 5 day break.

Last edited:

Looks like it’s leaked.

Trips to Tassie, Geelong, Darwin, Ballarat. 2 at the ‘G

Double ups against Port, WC, GWS, Brisbane, Pies, GC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Fixture - hopes, dreams, dreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back