Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
VFL or seniors or do they match up?
Round 13 AFL is a bye. Round 13 VFL is the next week…Mid June (so 2 months from now…which seems an eternity tbh - but I suppose consistent with the conservative approach?)

Just a kid and has some talent but those misses on Fri night let the air out of our tyres.

I'd be curious to know how what his natural kicking range is like. The way he drifted off to the right seemed like he was trying to gain some extra distance in what wouldn't be considered particularly long kicks for most players.

I wouldn't be surprised if Conway is closer to 3 weeks:

View attachment 1689214
That sort of photo reminds you how much more our kids would learn from training than VFL matches. If they're trying to manage Conway'sload then he's way better off having a bunch of training sessions and drills against Hawkins, Stanley, Ceglar, etc than playing a match against a standard VFL ruck.

They learn a bit about competitiveness and build fitness at VFL level. But almost all the development comes from the training track. And we see none of it. It's easy to get completely the wrong impression from watching a VFL game where we've got no idea what role they're being asked to play, what they're working on, etc.

Eg most people around here thought the club was having a laugh putting Knevitt in after he hadn't done much in the VFL. But his AFL form proves he's got some talent and you can guarantee that was seen at training regularly.

I'd be curious to know how what his natural kicking range is like. The way he drifted off to the right seemed like he was trying to gain some extra distance in what wouldn't be considered particularly long kicks for most players.
I suspect (and wouldnt really know) that it is not yet beyond 40 metres…remembering he is coming from a long way back having played half a dozen games since he was u14...until drafted. So he hasn’t got the years into him which I think is needed to get that distance consistently. Question is whether that comes with time or will always be a limitation

This week's REAL injury update, brought to you by Catempire:

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Jack BowesCalfShort term 1 week
Toby ConwayFootTBC 10 weeks
Patrick DangerfieldHamstringShort term 1 week
Sam De KoningFaceTest
Jack HenryFootTest
Ollie HenryTesticleShort term 2 weeks
Sam MenegolaKneeTBC whodafugknows
Gary RohanHamstringShort term 1 week
Rhys StanleyEye socketShort term 2 weeks
Tyson StengleArmTest
Where is my Gufrie?

That sort of photo reminds you how much more our kids would learn from training than VFL matches. If they're trying to manage Conway'sload then he's way better off having a bunch of training sessions and drills against Hawkins, Stanley, Ceglar, etc than playing a match against a standard VFL ruck.

They learn a bit about competitiveness and build fitness at VFL level. But almost all the development comes from the training track. And we see none of it. It's easy to get completely the wrong impression from watching a VFL game where we've got no idea what role they're being asked to play, what they're working on, etc.

Eg most people around here thought the club was having a laugh putting Knevitt in after he hadn't done much in the VFL. But his AFL form proves he's got some talent and you can guarantee that was seen at training regularly.
Think your on the money here. Club rates training more than vfl as it's hard to get part timers to play the AFL system. The coaches look at if you are in the right places not how many possessions you got

This week's REAL injury update, brought to you by Catempire:

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Jack BowesCalfShort term 1 week
Toby ConwayFootTBC 10 weeks
Patrick DangerfieldHamstringShort term 1 week
Sam De KoningFaceTest
Jack HenryFootTest
Ollie HenryTesticleShort term 2 weeks
Sam MenegolaKneeTBC whodafugknows
Gary RohanHamstringShort term 1 week
Rhys StanleyEye socketShort term 2 weeks
Tyson StengleArmTest
I’d rather you refer to Henry’s injury as a owies please…makes my eyes water seeing tesicle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Barnes is ONE OF US.

I have to admit, as a reporter charged with following the Cats, it is my responsibility to be across the length of the players sitting on the pine at GMHBA Stadium at the moment.

And the AFL media injury list – purported to be “official” when searched on Google – has been a guessing game and was vague as it stood when this column was being penned this week.

The Cats have steadily moved away from pegging deliberate durations for their injuries in recent years and that much is clear when you find a current list of their players out.

Like a serial dater going through past relationships, it is a list made up of short, medium and long term.

Generally, a short term injury is less than a month, medium term longer than that and long term, well, is longer than that.

The unscientific method of putting those expectations out doesn’t help the fans but it suits the Cats internally.
Perhaps it is time for a proper league-wide method of wrangling club injuries.

Clubs may push back but in this era of fan engagement, where a thirst for injury news is greater than ever with SuperCoach selectors prowling for updates at all hours, a simple mandate might make it easier.

In the NFL, before the main practice each week, a team must list every player who cannot step on the training track and even categorise those that did as either taking part fully in training or who was limited.
Then on the Friday before each weekend of matches, the league forces each franchise to list players as out, doubtful, questionable or probable.

Those rules are great for a clear understanding of players at two points of the week and would force more transparency from clubs by providing biweekly updates.

But even those rules don’t solve the issue facing Cats fans of how many weeks a “short term” hamstring will sideline Patrick Dangerfield.

Without any force from the league, Geelong is well within its rights to do as it pleases with its updates, but it’s the fans that are left with all the questions.

I must be the only one who doesn't give a s**t. Is the club showing how long a player is out for going to help their recovery? They'll play when they're ready.
Yes it is. It’s scientifically proven. And your attitude is holding them back!

And if they do put weeks attached then people freak out when their return gets delayed when really they're just being cautious
"They're rushing him back"
"What? They're not playing an uninjured player when this week is must-win"
"This was meant to be 2 weeks and now its 4. What is wrong with our medical staff?!"
"So this player is always returning early. What's wrong with the rest of our players?"

Forget all of the above. Simplify things: privacy for the players and all involved to execute best practice with minimal couch expert scrutiny. Let's keep the infuriated questions to one:

"This club never bloody tells us anything!"

Efficient, sleek and optimised for all occassions. There is a beauty there to the more cultured fan.

"They're rushing him back"
"What? They're not playing an uninjured player when this week is must-win"
"This was meant to be 2 weeks and now its 4. What is wrong with our medical staff?!"
"So this player is always returning early. What's wrong with the rest of our players?"

Forget all of the above. Simplify things: privacy for the players and all involved to execute best practice with minimal couch expert scrutiny. Let's keep the infuriated questions to one:

"This club never bloody tells us anything!"

Efficient, sleek and optimised for all occassions. There is a beauty there to the more cultured fan.
Plus you keep the opposition guessing whether, say, Stengle or Dangerfield will play. I don’t think this is of great value myself, but I think Scott does which is all that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back