Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone heard that Jack Henry may have been injured on Saturday?

He went down into the rooms during the second (?) quarter after what K Rock described as a knock to the chest/ribs in a contest. Came back on and played out the game so I would assume (hope?) all is ok.

Yes and Yes.
5-7 isn’t the end of our campaign.
11 games to go. A 9-2 finish with a good run free from injury and a bit of Lady Luck 🍀
Sees us at 14-9 7th spot.. maybe 8th.
9-2 is a big ask, even with a fully fit squad. We have already lost to 5 mediocre teams who won't play finals which will likely come back to bite us.
(Gold Coast, Richmond, GWS, and Carlton)

We simply must win this week or we face the prospect of likely missing finals.

We will go into 3 games as genuine underdogs:
1. Port (AWAY
2. Brisbane (AWAY)
3. Collingwood (AWAY)

We have 4 home games against very tough opponents:
1. Melbourne (50/50 at best)
2. Fremantle (they beat us last year at home)
3. Port Adelaide (50/50 at best)
4. Bulldogs (40/60 at best)

We have 2 potentially winnable but difficult away games:
1. Sydney (in Sydney) - they are back in form which is a worry..
2. St Kilda (at Marvel)

That leaves 2 winnable games...
1. North (HOME)
2. Essendon (HOME)

We will be lucky to go 7-4 out of the remaining games which will put us at 12-11 (13-10 if we beat Bulldogs this week)

We simply must win this week or we face the prospect of likely missing finals.
I've come to accept that even if we make the 8 we'll just be making up the numbers. Injuries is one thing, we've lost very winnable games where we still had enough talent on the field. There's simply been far less hunger than there was last year and it showed with our clear "hangover" at the beginning.
I thought we'd overcome it when we started winning and stormed into the 8 with what was a great percentage. That's all gone now....rather embarrassing to be honest as we are far better than this.

I've come to accept that even if we make the 8 we'll just be making up the numbers. Injuries is one thing, we've lost very winnable games where we still had enough talent on the field. There's simply been far less hunger than there was last year and it showed with our clear "hangover" at the beginning.
I thought we'd overcome it when we started winning and stormed into the 8 with what was a great percentage. That's all gone now....rather embarrassing to be honest as we are far better than this.
But why is it a foregone conclusion that things would stay the same? A lot changed in the past 3 weeks - just notice the shift in tone from our supporters. If, and it's a big if, we returned to form with a full list at the back end of the season on an 8-3 or better run - why would that make a strong finals run impossible? I just don't see the logic.

I would be waiting until losses against the Bulldogs and Port at a bare minimum before writing us off. Win one of those and we are 6-7 with a bunch of home games to play: a 7-3 run would be required. At our best we are still capable of winning every remaining GMHBA game and a couple on the road.

To be honest we were doing fine until we got a stack of injuries a month ago its not a coincidence. I dont think you can judge the team until we have half a dozen players back.

To be honest we were doing fine until we got a stack of injuries a month ago its not a coincidence. I dont think you can judge the team until we have half a dozen players back.
Thats how I see it. You take most teams best 2 midfielders, their best ruck, have their best KPD in and out of the team, and I would bet teams would be in the position we are in.
And with 6/6/6 in play you can afford to lose your ruck if you have a strong mid, or lose your best mid if you have a good ruck and good midfield depth, and yet we have lost our ruck and our two best mids.

Sav - expected to be running next week
Guth - Sounds like a while away running on alt gravity machine
Mitch - running and ramping up his training
Max - running already full training next week.
Danger - Test
Bowes and Rohan should both be available this week.

Hmmm. Test? How many different ways can we interpret that word at GFC?

Pretty much sums up our issue.. We already had a shallow midfield, and then ontop of this injuries wiped out our four best mids.. The loss was too structurally large to compensate for.

Back in our glory days, if ablett bartel went down... We just moved james kelly and joel corey into the guts..

We dont have elite depth to go in there these days... When dangerfield goes out, bruhn goes in.... When holmes goes out.. Knevitt goes in... When guthrie goes out... Jhye clark gets a debut...

The replacements are no where near the standard to compensate or compete.

Hmmm. Test? How many different ways can we interpret that word at GFC?
Bowes if he plays goes straight into the midfield all game for me... He can rack up some big numbers in there and get his hands on the ball.. Something the others in there cant do at the moment.

Hopefully dangerfield is in.. None of this holding back longer than he needa nonsense... If his right to play then play him.

Pretty much sums up our issue.. We already had a shallow midfield, and then ontop of this injuries wiped out our four best mids.. The loss was too structurally large to compensate for.

Back in our glory days, if ablett bartel went down... We just moved james kelly and joel corey into the guts..

We dont have elite depth to go in there these days... When dangerfield goes out, bruhn goes in.... When holmes goes out.. Knevitt goes in... When guthrie goes out... Jhye clark gets a debut...

People forget on top of Selwood last year we lost Narkle, Stephens, Higgins and Dahlhaus who could all play inside mid if needed. But we had developed depth, had young players to give game time to and brought in guys we thought were better or would be in time.

But the injuries to our potential inside mids are just insane if you go through what our plan would've been at the start of the year.

Genuine inside mids
Danger
Guthrie
Atkins
Blicavs
Holmes
Bruhn
Parfitt

Rotation in best 26 or so
Menegola
Bowes
O'Connor
Duncan

Experimental possibilities
Cameron
Stengle
Close

Kids who aren't ready
Knevitt
Clark
Willis

You need ~6 inside mids to rotate through the centre bounce.

If you'd told the coaches that they'd be forced to play all of Bruhn, Parfitt and O'Connor as full inside mids regardless of form they'd think you were having a laugh. That would require 5 of those inside mids or rotation options to be injured.

But surprise there were actually 6 injuries so Knevitt, Close and Stengle shared the last rotation.

And just for good measure we're missing every ruck option except Ceglar whose body is shot.

This isn't a list issue. We don't have the best midfield depth in the comp but it is far from the worst. But no team can cover for 6 of their best 11 options as inside mids being injured including clearly their best 2 while only having a journeyman ruck with a body that is shot available.

Sure, but I’d say the standard of the comp is far weaker than it was in our glory days (St K 09-10 and Collingwood 10-11 were streets ahead of any present day team).

I’d suggest that merely taking the best two midfielders out of any team would mean they are really up against it.

Put Danger and Guthrie in our team this week and take Bont and Libba out of the Dogs team and we’d be overwhelming favourites.

Likewise of the teams above us, Lions would be nothing without Neale/Dunkley, Port with Rozee/Butters, Freo with Brayshaw/Serong, Dees with Oliver/Trac etc.

That’s not even taking into account the other injuries we’ve had across the field.

Sure, but I’d say the standard of the comp is far weaker than it was in our glory days (St K 09-10 and Collingwood 10-11 were streets ahead of any present day team).

I’d suggest that merely taking the best two midfielders out of any team would mean they are really up against it.

Put Danger and Guthrie in our team this week and take Bont and Libba out of the Dogs team and we’d be overwhelming favourites.

Likewise of the teams above us, Lions would be nothing without Neale/Dunkley, Port with Rozee/Butters, Freo with Brayshaw/Serong, Dees with Oliver/Trac etc.

That’s not even taking into account the other injuries we’ve had across the field.
yep spot on... melbourne folded like a cheap deck of cards with only oliver missing against freo at the MCG.... yet we got done up in perth with 9 of the b22 out... '

i think it is also no coincidence this season that all the teams who go into patches of form or performing the best have had incredible runs with injuries, or suffered injuries to fringe players they can cover if they have had a small handful of them... only us sydney and WCE have been hit this bad, and personally i think sydney have had it far easier than us, but for whatever reason the media loves to go on about sydney with the injury talk...

it is no coincidence that freo are all of a sudden hitting some form, and they have a clean bill of health...
so much of this season is going to come down to elements of luck and timing, as there is absolutely no standout team.

just make finals and get the pre finals bye to refresh, and we are as good as anyone to take it home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People forget on top of Selwood last year we lost Narkle, Stephens, Higgins and Dahlhaus who could all play inside mid if needed. But we had developed depth, had young players to give game time to and brought in guys we thought were better or would be in time.

But the injuries to our potential inside mids are just insane if you go through what our plan would've been at the start of the year.

Genuine inside mids
Danger
Guthrie
Atkins
Blicavs
Holmes
Bruhn
Parfitt

Rotation in best 26 or so
Menegola
Bowes
O'Connor
Duncan

Experimental possibilities
Cameron
Stengle
Close

Kids who aren't ready
Knevitt
Clark
Willis

You need ~6 inside mids to rotate through the centre bounce.

If you'd told the coaches that they'd be forced to play all of Bruhn, Parfitt and O'Connor as full inside mids regardless of form they'd think you were having a laugh. That would require 5 of those inside mids or rotation options to be injured.

But surprise there were actually 6 injuries so Knevitt, Close and Stengle shared the last rotation.

And just for good measure we're missing every ruck option except Ceglar whose body is shot.

This isn't a list issue. We don't have the best midfield depth in the comp but it is far from the worst. But no team can cover for 6 of their best 11 options as inside mids being injured including clearly their best 2 while only having a journeyman ruck with a body that is shot available.

I do agree with all of that except for the fact that we knee ceglars body was shot at the start of the year and we could have signed a ruck via the SSP and we didnt we chose to keep a list spot open. That was a risky call and has backfired.

The bit about the midfielders i agree with you though.

Sav - minor strain expected to be running next week or so
Guth - Sounds like a while away running on alt gravity machine
Mitch - running and kicking ramping up his training
Max - running already full training next week.
Danger - Test
Bowes and Rohan should both be available this week.

That is consistent with what I have “heard”…Bowes and Rohan will play and Danger will not until after bye.

That means we have 3 available (including Simpson) and 1 forced out (Sav) so will be interesting to see who misses this week

So by gameday this weekend on Saturday, it will have been 4 wks since Dangerfields hamstring injury & 5 wks since Rohans hamstring & 5 wks since Bowes calf injury.
Surely they are good to go.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Rohan and Bowes are exactly on track to early (club) expectations of missing 4 weeks (not that they would tell the public!) but Danger is tracking behind where they hoped (missing 3 weeks). First two seem definite for this week (don’t want to jinx training tomorrow!) but I would not be shocked if they give Danger an extra 2 weeks to build - it worked in 2022 (albeit we weren’t behind on the win loss register)

I think I spot Neale playing basketball against Foster in geelong’s Instagram story?

Would love to see them play together for ten or so games in a row in the back half the year. Would be very entertaining.

Edit: I notice Neale isn’t even listed on the afl’s injury list.

Hes not but hes been out all year with an ankle.

How long is Neale supposed to be out long for? As there there isn't any list for him at all?
Post bye I think. I bumped into him at a function a few weeks back and he said he was a month away. Be good to see him back and get some consistent vfl games into him ahead of an important pre season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back