Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the great misconceptions floating around relates to our depth, and it's being perpetuated by lazy journalists who are just looking for clickbait, and working on the assumption that the average nuffy falls into whatever narrative they pedal.

Seriously, take a look at the lists across the AFL and tell me a list that bats deeper than Geelong's. Yeah I get it, the 30th player on the list is not as good as the 10th, but that's not really the point is it? Based purely on the depth of talent on our list, I'd need some serious convincing that we're not #1.

I talk to people in coaching ranks at other clubs and it's not even up for debate. What is up for debate is whether our current issues relate to list depth, or lack of system and cohesion with game-plan when you have a tipping point with too many regular best 22 available. The answer is pretty clear based on people I talk to who have a clue.

Hearing that Guthrie is having surgery on Friday on his toe and will be out for up to 6 weeks.
I just heard 10 minutes ago that he had surgery ”this week” so I thought it might have been today (but it might have been in line with what you heard - he is having it this week).

Hoping to be back 2-3 games after the bye!

Also hearing that Blitz hasn’t trained all week?

Hearing that Guthrie is having surgery on Friday on his toe and will be out for up to 6 weeks.
Sad to hear this. But it fits with the 'surgery as a last resort' m.o. And hopefully it means Guth can now actually make meaningful progress towards returning to the field, sooner rather than later.

You saying just cut it off then?

Little toe maybe

But if it’s the big toe then not that simple. I know someone who had to have toe amputations - it’s pretty major and does impact ones ability to walk after, which takes rehab to work through

According to this its several months, pretty much season over for him.

“He will undergo surgery on Friday, and we hope to have him back playing in the later stages of the season.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Hope" just like they "hoped" it would only be a short term injury!!! He's done for the year!!!
Maybe, maybe not.

Guthrie out until September, operation tomorrow, according to channel 7 news.

Yep now we have another reason why we took hardie. I would have put kroeger on the lti and taken a ruck too.

One of the great misconceptions floating around relates to our depth, and it's being perpetuated by lazy journalists who are just looking for clickbait, and working on the assumption that the average nuffy falls into whatever narrative they pedal.

Seriously, take a look at the lists across the AFL and tell me a list that bats deeper than Geelong's. Yeah I get it, the 30th player on the list is not as good as the 10th, but that's not really the point is it? Based purely on the depth of talent on our list, I'd need some serious convincing that we're not #1.

I talk to people in coaching ranks at other clubs and it's not even up for debate. What is up for debate is whether our current issues relate to list depth, or lack of system and cohesion with game-plan when you have a tipping point with too many regular best 22 available. The answer is pretty clear based on people I talk to who have a clue.
Not sure if I'm Captain Obvious or my alter ego Mr Nuffy here, but our preparation this season has been woeful. And we've really humped the pooch on Guffers. 3 weeks out THEN surgery? 2022 year of the Cats, 2023 year of the kittens.

Not sure if I'm Captain Obvious or my alter ego Mr Nuffy here, but our preparation this season has been woeful. And we've really humped the pooch on Guffers. 3 weeks out THEN surgery? 2022 year of the Cats, 2023 year of the kittens.
The m.o. with Guthrie is the same as it has been for years with injured players down at the Cattery. Surgery is seen as a last resort, after all other prospects for healing/recovery have been exhausted. I feel confident that the players themselves would be very supportive of this approach. And, despite the inevitable frustration that goes with delays like this one, I'm entirely comfortable with what the GFC consistently does to put the welfare of their own players before the perceived needs of the team.

#stayclassygeelong

When I see Danger limping and looking really rough in the rooms as he goes off v Adelaide.

My head:

"Man that looks sore.. we got 4 games til the bye now and I reckon he will miss all of them + I now give us no shot v the Tiges and Freo because injuries are just adding up too much... season is in big trouble right now even though we are about to chalk up a win against the Crows".

Chris Scott a couple of days after Danger is subbed off:

"Danger could push to play this week v the Tiges but we will probably be conservative"

My head:

"Ok, Scott sounds so confident with Danger that maybe he does just miss one or two".

Should have just trusted my gut.

Last edited:
When I see Danger limping and looking really rough in the rooms as he goes off v Adelaide.

My head:

"Man that looks sore.. we got 4 games til the bye now and I reckon he will miss all of them + I now give us no shot v the Tiges and Freo because injuries are just adding up too much... season is in big trouble right now even though we are about to chalk up a win against the Crows".

"Danger could push tp play this week v the Tiges but we will probably be conservative"

My head:

"Ok, Scott sounds so confident with Danger that maybe he does just miss one or two".

He's most likely out catching Southern Bluefin Tuna the season would be off and running now down his way.

My head:

"Danger could push to play this week v the Tiges but we will probably be conservative"

My head:

What possible difference does it make what you or any supporter feels about Danger's hammy??
This is the same MC, the same High performance team that was so lauded in 22 because of their elite player management.

Just wondering what is up with Stanley and his eye? Will he be back this year?
Unprecedented nerve injury at the eye socket from the sound of things.
At least it's making most of us supporters appreciate his undoubted benefits to our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back