Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounding good about Stanley being fit for Melbourne clash... id rest Ceglar in all forms the following week, just make sure he is OK and all freshen up his old body ...

Is Neale right to play this week in the VFL anyone know?
Not this week - but pretty certain we will see him against Casey Friday week under lights!

Sorry yes, I left out those “medium term” injuries…

I understand we will see Neale as early as next round. that will be exciting…!

clark has only just come out of surgery I think so he is back end of the year at best unfortunately.

And I honestly don’t think we will see poor Flynn again at the cats. Not expected to be ready this year…

Mena - would love that medium term to now actually be short term and see him come back via the VFL ASAP

Thanks for the info im glad you pass on what youbhear as the clubs comm is poor.

I agree kroeger is a delist and re rookie at best.

Good news on neale.

Sounds like menegola is getting closer and training well..will still need at least a couple of vfl games so doubt he is afl ready til round 20ish. Pity as at his best hes clearly best 22 for mine but his run will come too late to get back in.

If Stanley is ready to go why on earth would we hold him back.

We don't have the luxury of resting players any longer.
I wonder if Scott was doing a double bluff when he talked about "we need to think about 2 rucks" as in Ceglar and Stanley but he's actually considering playing neither.

Lycett is not a dominant ruck so Blicavs can go against him fine. Finlayson is their number 2 so J Henry or SDK can just go head to head for the whole match and follow him in to chop out. Port's spread is worrying so the extra run could really help. Stanley can be rusty off a break and when his touch isn't there he's a poor player. We've also shown a willingness to do that already this year and we looked great against both Sydney and Essendon when we went the Blicavs number 1 ruck route.

I wonder if Scott was doing a double bluff when he talked about "we need to think about 2 rucks" as in Ceglar and Stanley but he's actually considering playing neither.

Lycett is not a dominant ruck so Blicavs can go against him fine. Finlayson is their number 2 so J Henry or SDK can just go head to head for the whole match and follow him in to chop out. Port's spread is worrying so the extra run could really help. Stanley can be rusty off a break and when his touch isn't there he's a poor player. We've also shown a willingness to do that already this year and we looked great against both Sydney and Essendon when we went the Blicavs number 1 ruck route.

But he's going to come back against Melb who've also got a decent midfield. I don't see the difference.

But he's going to come back against Melb who've also got a decent midfield. I don't see the difference.

We could get away with Blicavs and SDK/Henry vs Lycett and Finlayson. Not so against Gawn and Grundy. Also Melbourne aren't a fast transition side and we'll be playing them on the small ground in Geelong.

If Stanley struggles first up so be it but he'll hopefully keep it competitive in the ruck even if he's not at his best.

We could get away with Blicavs and SDK/Henry vs Lycett and Finlayson. Not so against Gawn and Grundy. Also Melbourne aren't a fast transition side and we'll be playing them on the small ground in Geelong.

If Stanley struggles first up so be it but he'll hopefully keep it competitive in the ruck even if he's not at his best.

So it's best to bring in a rusty ruckman rather than him having played the week prior.

Makes zero sense.

I've seen you drop Ceglar and put Blicavs as permanent ruck 4 weeks in a row now. I kind of hope it eventuates for your sanity.

I've seen you drop Ceglar and put Blicavs as permanent ruck 4 weeks in a row now. I kind of hope it eventuates for your sanity.
To be fair we did it the first 2 weeks without Stanley. And I've always said it depends on who else is available. It doesn't make sense to leave out Ceglar if it means bringing in Willis as a full time mid. Between losing players to injury and returning players not coming back as fast as expected I would've played Ceglar every week recently too.

But I'm sure it's an option they're weighing up. Put it this way if we've got good availability but no Stanley come finals on the MCG against a team other than Melbourne I'd be pretty surprised if Ceglar plays.

When you say everyone i assume you mean except menegola clark kroeger and neale. Lloyd spoke about mena but as usual no info on the other three.
Lloyd's latest throwaway line on injury updates for those in the 'medium term' category was both absolutely abysmal and entirely expected. Amounted to 'Well, who's got time for that?' When the reality is that it would have taken all of another two or three minutes at most to provide some info on all the players that are currently sidelined. Yes, we understand you can't tell us exactly when they'll be back. That's not what supporters are looking for, and totally not the point. Just advise whether they're making progress, whether they're joining in training, whether there's been a need to back off in their program. It's called an 'update'; the clue is in the name.

As it is, we get a selective assortment of info every week, unlike the far more comprehensive efforts of every other club in the comp. And we have players like Shannon Neale (who can't even get on the injury list, but are supposedly very close to playing again) who consistently aren't even mentioned.

#neverchangegeelong
#injuryupdates
#justbarely
#greengoblinvibesyetagain

Last edited:
Not this week - but pretty certain we will see him against Casey Friday week under lights!
HOO ****ing RAY!

That ankle must have been a mofo to get right.

GO Catters

But on a serious note... The club been very disappointed in not even dressing Shannon Neale as injured player, they have mentioned him briefly on K Rock etc, but his name hasn't even been on the official injury list... We all asking us on here internally and hoping we get answers on him on here...
Most people eg like myself see him as a big part of the club in years to come, and for the club releasing very very little on him is extremely disappointing 😞

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd's latest throwaway line on injury updates for those in the 'medium term' category was both absolutely abysmal and entirely expected. Amounted to 'Well, who's got time for that?' When the reality is that it would have taken all of another two or three minutes at most to provide some info on all the players that are currently sidelined. Yes, we understand you can't tell us exactly when they'll be back. That's not what supporters are looking for, and totally not the point. Just advise whether they're making progress, whether they're joining in training, whether there's been a need to back off in their program. It's called an 'update'; the clue is in the name.

As it is, we get a selective assortment of info every week, unlike the far more comprehensive efforts of every other club in the comp. And we have players like Shannon Neale (who can't even get on the injury list, but are supposedly very close to playing again) who consistently aren't even mentioned.

#neverchangegeelong
#injuryupdates
#justbarely
I commend you for still watching Lloyd, Scott and others knowing you'll not get anything besides new source material for this thread. Maybe we need you employed at the GFC to clean this whole mess up.

But on a serious note... The club been very disappointed in not even dressing Shannon Neale as injured player, they have mentioned him briefly on K Rock etc, but his name hasn't even been on the official injury list... We all asking us on here internally and hoping we get answers on him on here...
Most people eg like myself see him as a big part of the club in years to come, and for the club releasing very very little on him is extremely disappointing 😞
Unless he has had a setback in the past few weeks he was confident he’d be playing post bye. I expect him to play VFL this week or next.

Unless he has had a setback in the past few weeks he was confident he’d be playing post bye. I expect him to play VFL this week or next.
I have heard next week (against Casey)…as you say it was either this week or next and they have held him back. I am excited to see him and Phoenix in same VFL forward line

#neverchangegeelong
#injuryupdates
#justbarely

I've given up watching his updates - it's just an afterthought to them at the moment, and they seriously don't care.

I'd like for a journo to flat out ask Scott at the presser why the Cats feel they should be able to just be so vague in their medical report every week, when every other team in the comp adheres to some sort of timeline?

And then I'd like a follow up question of 'why do you also feel that it's ok to not even put some of your players on your injury list, instead of a rough time frame - and not provide any updates on them either?'

Alas, I doubt that will happen any time soon.

I've given up watching his updates - it's just an afterthought to them at the moment, and they seriously don't care.

I'd like for a journo to flat out ask Scott at the presser why the Cats feel they should be able to just be so vague in their medical report every week, when every other team in the comp adheres to some sort of timeline?

And then I'd like a follow up question of 'why do you also feel that it's ok to not even put some of your players on your injury list, instead of a rough time frame - and not provide any updates on them either?'

Outside of bigfooty my guess is few people actually care.

It would even be 25% of people if you used BigFooty exclusively. So a fraction of a very tiny fraction. As I've said before, most other big leagues in the world the standard of reporting is more vague than Geelong's. Someone brought up NFL as a very rare exception.

A lot of premier league players you're unaware of whether to expect a month or 6 for anything medium term or longer. NBA you get the team sheets 30 minutes before and and really nothing in between.

Life goes on.

#forthright

#neverchangegeelong
#injuryupdates
#justbarely

Cricket is able to do it, and the NRL seems to have something going with its official 'injury ward' site........not that hard.

It would even be 25% of people if you used BigFooty exclusively. So a fraction of a very tiny fraction. As I've said before, most other big leagues in the world the standard of reporting is more vague than Geelong's. Someone brought up NFL as a very rare exception.

A lot of premier league players you're unaware of whether to expect a month or 6 for anything medium term or longer. NBA you get the team sheets 30 minutes before and and really nothing in between.

Life goes on.

Mmm with respect, I'd have to disagree.

Footy fans are a passionate bunch, so it's not usually just limited to BF.

You gotta think about the 1 MIL+ footy members that exist in the league (70,000 of which are Cats fans) - I say footy fans because I've had various oppo suporters ask me 'where the hell is Cam Guthrie?.' Then there's us fanatics on here, twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and various forms of social media - who are always commenting/asking the question.

Then outside that you have the average supporter who might be a bit more involved and looks at AFL.com.au when they're at work screwing around - and keeps going 'where the hell is Cam Guthrie...was he abducted?'

Below that you have those who follow a team here and there but don't really care, and probably wouldn't notice if our entire team was gone - unless 7 News did an exposé on it.

With all this said, the one key differential I find that I can't abide, is the fact that we have players that haven't even made it on to the injury list - and just disappear into thin air.

For the longest time this year, at any given time, our injuries have included guys like Sam Menegola, Flynn Kroeger, Shannon Neale and Cam Guthrie. Yet, even 3 months after the season has started, both Shannon and Flynn still aren't even listed.

I'm not quite sure why they're doing this. My thoughts are that they legitimately don't know when they'll be back, so they don't even want to put a time frame on them. When it's guys like Menegola and Guthrie though, who most Geelong fans know who they are and want to know when they're coming back - it's f*cking bizarre how they've just been absent from the injury list at times.

There's also the issue that the club has been less than forthright about injury over the years, and now it's just culminated in them treating it as an afterthought and Simon Lloyd giving pre-rehearsed lines each few weeks, with maybe some new information that we hadn't gleaned from their vague medical reports.

When you have people in the media outright calling it out, and fans making joke pages about it on social media, you know it's gone a bit far and we really should be doing more, IMO.

TL;DR, it's one thing to have vague terms such as 'short term', 'medium term' or 'long term' (like the NBA, EPL and other major sports may do), it's another to omit players completely and not even have them on the injury list - especially when they're well known players like Cam Guthrie.

Last edited:
Mmm with respect, I'd have to disagree.

Footy fans are a passionate bunch, so it's not usually just limited to BF.

You gotta think about the 1 MIL+ footy members that exist in the league (70,000 of which are Cats fans) - I say footy fans because I've had various oppo suporters ask me 'where the hell is Cam Guthrie?.' Then there's us fanatics on here, twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and various forms of social media - who are always commenting/asking the question.

Then outside that you have the average supporter who might be a bit more involved and looks at AFL.com.au when they're at work screwing around - and keeps going 'where the hell is Cam Guthrie...was he abducted?'

Below that you have those who follow a team here and there but don't really care, and probably wouldn't notice if our entire team was gone - unless 7 News did an exposé on it.

With all this said, the one key differential I find that I can't abide, is the fact that we have players that haven't even made it on to the injury list - and just disappear into thin air.

For the longest time this year, at any given time, our injuries have included guys like Sam Menegola, Flynn Kroeger, Shannon Neale and Cam Guthrie. Yet, even 3 months after the season has started, both Shannon and Flynn still aren't even listed.

I'm not quite sure why they're doing this. My thoughts are that they legitimately don't know when they'll be back, so they don't even want to put a time frame on them. When it's guys like Menegola and Guthrie though, who most Geelong fans know who they are and want to know when they're coming back - it's f*cking bizarre how they've just been absent from the injury list at times.

There's also the issue that the club has been less than forthright about injury over the years, and now it's just culminated in them treating it as an afterthought and Simon Lloyd giving pre-rehearsed lines each few weeks, with maybe some new information that we hadn't gleaned from their vague medical reports.

When you have people in the media outright calling it out, and fans making joke pages about it on social media, you know it's gone a bit far and we really should be doing more, IMO.

TL;DR, it's one thing to have vague terms such as 'short term', 'medium term' or 'long term' (like the NBA, EPL and other major sports may do), it's another to omit players completely and not even have them on the injury list - especially when they're well known players like Cam Guthrie.
I wonder whether the players dislike it, like it or don't like it. You'd think it would have been raised as an issue if there was a feeling of disrespect.

From what I've seen, sometimes we get projections in terms of weeks when they know more, sometimes acceptable short/medium/long term where people get upset if one prognosis over time converts to other. Then sometimes the odd case where someone goes missing when I assume things are unclear. But yeah, I do feel for people that get really upset over it. I guess I'm just used to it for most of the rest of my sporting life. Someone said cricket was far more informative and robust with reporting injuries and updates - I never found that but maybe I just don't look in the right places.

From what I've seen of other sides reports, when they get converted into AFL.com.au's interpretation to summarise - they're about as accurate as us just getting that second hand loose idea anyway. Team lists still appear with players shockingly excluded for an unknown issue, or coming back way earlier than expected.

Cricket is able to do it, and the NRL seems to have something going with its official 'injury ward' site........not that hard.
We all know it's not that hard. We also know the club simply can't be bothered.

It's good enough for every other club in the league to have a go at doing it right. But apparently we are 'above all that'.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back