List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s one of two options.

Look for a permanent upgrade on Butts and Keane (early days still for him) - trade for a starting quality defender

Go absolute cheap as chips for dire emergency use only (delisted player or state league player as a rookie)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I would go for Heard from Norwood and get him on some weights .

I would be very surprised if we delist anyone who has a contract with the promise of relisting them. Hamill or Bond don't have rocks for brains and aren't going to take a pay cut because we put ourselves in a difficult position.

I kind of lean to the other side. I don't think it's more difficult, I think we've locked up everyone we're planning to keep, or someone had their head turned. The numbers don't really work out that well otherwise, especially seeing if we let a Doedee or McAdam go, we'd want to use those draft picks.
What's this about a pay cut? Contracted players are guaranteed to get all of their contracted salary. Delisting and re-drafting doesn't alter this - they just go back onto their original contract when we re-draft them. Even if we are gazumped, and another club drafts them, we are still bound to pay them the difference between their AFC contract and their contract with their new club.

Given that we're likely to be almost completely cleaning out our rookie list, it's highly likely that 1 or 2 contracted players will be moved to the rookie list. Hamill is an obvious candidate. Crouch and/or Sloane would be another.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would be very surprised if we delist anyone who has a contract with the promise of relisting them. Hamill or Bond don't have rocks for brains and aren't going to take a pay cut because we put ourselves in a difficult position.
No-one with a Contract has to take a pay-cut if delisted and re-rookied .....the Contract stays with the player

Only risk is, another Club picks your delisted player (and Contract)

Delistings becoming more and more complicated by the day, of course they need to free up 3 main list spots after trade and before the draft but as it stands only Hately (who can feel a bit hard done by) is the only sure thing to be delisted, they are still acting like they want to keep Doedee and even if Crouch goes they dumbly want to keep Sloane which will put McAdam in an uncertain position.

Borlase providing more complications after the weekend, I don’t think they banked on keeping him but now the only way they can is either through somehow freeing up a non-existent spot on the main list or risk delisting him and avoid anyone going near him as a DFA & trying to get him to last until the club’s pick in the rookie draft.

Thinking with Brown (Seedsman) & McPherson delisted from the rookie list, would not be surprised if someone like a Hamill who’s contracted for 2024 is delisted and rookied or could even be Bond just so they can free that extra main list spot.
We need borlase on the main list...why try and get another KPD when we have a capable guy already here.

Butts, Worrell, Keane and Borlase and muzz later in the year and maybe Doedee if he stays

Its midfield all the way this draft with a project ruck with our last used pick at the draft

Competition for spots is essential ......injuries occur ....the problem has been for both ROB and Butts, there's been no-one genuinely competing for their spot

Granted, Keane has had to build fitness, touch, and familiarity with the game-plan

I'm not convinced, our KPD's are now set & forget for a premiership assault
It’s not that our KPDs are set and forget, rather our capital must be put towards a top line midfielder. Murray and Keane are great prospects for the time being and cheap short term cover for Murray is all we should be focusing on. Brennan Cox is a free agent in 2024, if our KPD stocks don’t look so great in a year time he’s the one we should target.

Nick Haynes and his $1 million price for one year, plus GWS first pick could be something to jump on.

Gives us a KPD experience while Murray is out, would be an experienced head down back as we probably lose Sloane and Crouch.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is the consensus that Doedee was going to leave, but now will stay?
I think the consensus was always that Doedee was staying .....the lack of media attention on Doedee tends to reflect industry chatter on these matters .....it's been very quiet

Nick Haynes and his $1 million price for one year, plus GWS first pick could be something to jump on.

Gives us a KPD experience while Murray is out, would be an experienced head down back as we probably lose Sloane and Crouch.

Done deal. I'd definitely do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One positive is that we’ve managed to get a bit more height into the team. With guys like Dawson, Hinge, Nank and MM all being 189cm to 192cm. Woz as a 194cm utility too. We’ve still got some short people but those positions were previously filled with guys like Brown, Dude who were in the 182-187cm range.
And they are all agile

It's a mooted salary dump by GWS, take the player and the back ended contract, similar to Geelong and Jack Bowes last year.

Ok, just read through the thread on the trading board.

I’m not sure I’d want to part with the best part of $1m in cap space to fill Murray’s spot for 6 months.

You’d want to be sure that there was a juicy puck coming and we’d be able to manoeuvre it into a quality mid at the draft.

Or do a package deal for Ash!

It's a mooted salary dump by GWS, take the player and the back ended contract, similar to Geelong and Jack Bowes last year.

Why would Haynes come for 1 year when he could just stay at GWS on that money?

There needs to be an incentive for him to come. The extra years would be the incentive?

He would come on a 2 or 3 year deal with him being 33 in year 2 and 34 in year 3.

For a pick 12ish?

That pick alone isn't that great, could bundle it up with picks to do something.

The issue with this is that the talent available at GWS pick isn't as enticing as last year for Geelong.
They also have Richmond's first pick, but I wouldn't trust our negotiators to pull that off, I'd have to see it to believe it.

Why would Haynes come for 1 year when he could just stay at GWS on that money?

There needs to be an incentive for him to come. The extra years would be the incentive?

He would come on a 2 or 3 year deal with him being 33 in year 2 and 34 in year 3.

For a pick 12ish?

That pick alone isn't that great, could bundle it up with picks to do something.
That I don't know, I guess when you are being pushed out the door you go, same as Bowes, whose whole family relocated to the Gold Coast from Cairns, Or Grundy who could have just stayed at Collingwood.

We would offer him a leadership/ mentor role, definitely a first 18 spot, and possibly a development role after, who knows? Maybe a plus one, but the only reason for extending a contract would be to smooth the payment over time.

If this is true have to go hard for it. Essentially turn next year’s cap space for Redman into a good short term defender and a first round pick

One positive is that we’ve managed to get a bit more height into the team. With guys like Dawson, Hinge, Nank and MM all being 189cm to 192cm. Woz as a 194cm utility too. We’ve still got some short people but those positions were previously filled with guys like Brown, Dude who were in the 182-187cm range.
I think we still need a bit more genuine height. We only have Butts in that category as a key back at this stage. It now looks like we will have three draft picks within the top 25 at this years National Draft. Four if we trade out, as I believe we should, next year's number one draft pick so that we do not over pay for gun father-son prospect Tyler Welsh. I would use one of them to try and get a prospect something like Brisbane's Harris Andrews. First pick on best mid available and then pick a quality, genuinely tall, key position back, rather than just using a junk pick on one. I would use another pick on a quality ruck prospect to develop. Then the other top 25 pick on either trading in a quality player or getting the best available talent at that point of the draft. This would leave our list in a very good place going forward. Just because we mucked it up with Fischer McAsey doesn't mean we should not have another go. I got burnt by a girlfriend back in the day, does that mean I should never have got married (and I still am)? I once bought a dud car, does that mean I should never buy another one? I have bought numerous ones since, and some very, very good ones at that. I had one property purchase I did not make anything on despite putting a lot of work into it. Should I have not done anymore? Property is really the only way I have got ahead, raising a fair sized family mainly on my wage with a largely (except in more recent years) stay at home wife. There is an old saying 'if you do not at first succeed, try again', and I would add, obviously learning from the previous experience so as not to repeat any mistakes involved.

Going back a page or 2 - and let me say Tex has had an outstanding year and I hope it continues

But to start thinking/talking about 2025 is very premature.

He is in his 16th year and we cant expect the same output next year let alone 2025.

I would suggest 2024 is an opportunity to integrate Fog and Riley into becoming more central to our delivery and resting Tex for more games.

I dont think we can enter 2025 with Tex as our main focus up forward

Going back a page or 2 - and let me say Tex has had an outstanding year and I hope it continues

He is in his 16th year and we cant expect the same output next year let alone 2025.

I would suggest 2024 is an opportunity to integrate Fog and Riley into becoming more central to our delivery and resting Tex for more games.

I agree. Fog is still building, and should seamlessly slip into Walkers shoes as he retires with Thilthorpe becoming that other key forward. Then we may well have Tyler Welsh as our third tallish forward with his electrifying pace.

We’ve been saying this “we cant expect him to be this good again next year” for a couple of years now though.. and the opposite has occurred.. he’s looked even better!

As long as Tex is fit.. and burgess will make sure he is (barring injury of course).. then I can easily see two more years of tex after this year..

He’s such an incredibly smart footballer that any small slowdown in foot speed wont make that big an impact to his performance and output.

He’s never been a very quick player anyway..

Hawkins is nearly two years older and, apart from his very recent current injury, has still been going around and still impacts games..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back