List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the first-choice opposition defender currently trying to stop Walker will move onto Thilthorpe or Fogarty. And neither have demonstrated an ability to cope with that.

Even if you think they can, then the problem becomes: The three defenders handling Thilthorpe, Fogarty and Walker, become three defenders handling Thilthorpe, Fogarty and some barely competent replacement-level (in the sports-statistics sense) Rando.
In this future scenario, to what degree have Thilthorpe and Fogarty improved?

Because the first-choice opposition defender currently trying to stop Walker will move onto Thilthorpe or Fogarty. And neither have demonstrated an ability to cope with that.

Even if you think they can, then the problem becomes: The three defenders handling Thilthorpe, Fogarty and Walker, become three defenders handling Thilthorpe, Fogarty and some barely competent replacement-level (in the sports-statistics sense) Rando.
Tyler Welsh. Duh.

Why would Haynes come for 1 year when he could just stay at GWS on that money?

There needs to be an incentive for him to come. The extra years would be the incentive?

He would come on a 2 or 3 year deal with him being 33 in year 2 and 34 in year 3.

For a pick 12ish?

That pick alone isn't that great, could bundle it up with picks to do something.
Watching Haynes the last two years, he's clearly past use-by date ......is very injury prone now, and has lost some of his athleticism that made him a very good player

Last year he played FWD .....sent him back again this year, had a few good games .....but fallen away later in the season

It's a TPP problem for GWS .....but offering him extra years ....no way, he'll struggle to get one more year done

So we roll Tex out in a wheelchair?

We WILL find a replacement or we WILL change things up
Why wouldn't they keep playing him. He's literally the best forward in the competition.
In this future scenario, to what degree have Thilthorpe and Fogarty improved?
To me it's irrelevant. In their own way they can be intimidating and damaging players on their day, but neither of them will ever have the complete forward game that Walker does.

Can you see Thilthorpe or Fogarty eking out 3 goals from table scraps on a bad day where their direct opponent gets 10 coaches votes?
Tyler Welsh. Duh.
Third Fourth time lucky for quick-developing early draft pick forwards?

Why wouldn't they keep playing him. He's literally the best forward in the competition.
Everyone has use by dates. Are you truly advocating Tex rolls out in a wheelchair?

Because you either think our coaches are incompetent or Thilthorpe and Fogarty wont be adequate replacements and we should trade them now

Everyone has use by dates. Are you truly advocating Tex rolls out in a wheelchair?

Because you either think our coaches are incompetent or Thilthorpe and Fogarty wont be adequate replacements and we should trade them now
I'm advocating playing Walker while he is best 22 until he is not.

Thilthorpe and Fogarty may or may not be better than Walker in the long term. It's irrelevant when they are both in the best 22 currently with Walker.

If we can’t back TT or Fog to be able to handle the best defenders in 2-3 years time, nor one of Gollant or Welsh to develop into a solid third tall, we may as well pack up shop. Deal with it if it comes to be but I’d rather address our immediate holes.

To me it's irrelevant. In their own way they can be intimidating and damaging players on their day, but neither of them will ever have the complete forward game that Walker does.

Can you see Thilthorpe or Fogarty eking out 3 goals from table scraps on a bad day where their direct opponent gets 10 coaches votes?

I don’t think either needs to become what Tex is (the best forward in the comp). If both continue on their developmental tracks, alongside Rankine, Rachele and potentially Welsh or Gollant, we’ve enough collective firepower to replace Tex. Of all positions of the field our forward line needs the least work.

Last edited:
I don’t think either needs to become what Tex is (the best forward in the comp). If both continue on their developmental tracks, alongside Rankine, Rachele and potentially Welsh or Gollant, we’ve enough collective firepower to replace Tex. Of all positions of the field our forward line needs to least work.
"Sure we have the best forward in the game now, but he's a known quantity. Have you considered the dopamine hit of bringing in a new player who could be anything... in a few years... if everything goes right..."

I'm advocating playing Walker while he is best 22 until he is not.

Thilthorpe and Fogarty may or may not be better than Walker in the long term. It's irrelevant when they are both in the best 22 currently with Walker.
And I'm advocating playing Tex while also keeping an eye on the future. Bad coaches wait - good coaches plan

Its not hard to rest Tex over 3 weeks etc around Bye week. Its not hard to instruct Tex to play the high half forward role while Fog and Riley hold down the 2 leading patterns - imagine Tex ( like 2012) gets the kick out from Smith just below defensive centre, swivels and kicks long to either one

I am more than comfortable with our forward line set up for once Tex finishes up. Fog and TT will both be very good forwards, add in Rankine and Rachele as the smalls and then Gollant/Welsh as the 3rd talls and that makes a very dynamic forward line.

We will never be able to replace Tex like for like, but our forward line will adapt to life post Tex and Fog and TT will step up once he is gone. Both seem to play better when Tex is not there anyway, as it stands he would be getting the majority of our forward entries directed at him.

Here is a run down on every draftee and every summer signing, their progress this year and where their contract sits.

ADELAIDE​

Adelaide Draftees and Signings​

• Max Michalanney - Draft pick: 17 (father-son)
  • Billy Dowling - Draft pick: 43
  • Hugh Bond - Draft pick: 50
  • Tyler Brown - Summer supplemental signing
  • Mark Keane - Summer supplemental signing

Max Michalanney

Draft pick: 17 (father-son), 2023 AFL games: 19, contract status: end of 2026

A home-run father-son pick for Adelaide, Michalanney has slotted in perfectly into defence for the Crows and looks like a 200-gamer. Appropriately, the Crows extended him long-term in June.

Billy Dowling

Draft pick: 43, yet to debut, contract status: end of 2024

A foot injury curtailed Dowling’s pre-season and he hasn’t featured yet at AFL level.

Max Michalanney has been a super pick up. Picture: Sarah Reed/AFL Photos
Hugh Bond

Draft pick: 50, yet to debut, contract status: end of 2024

No debut yet for the Victorian, who has struggled to put up numbers in the SANFL.

Tyler Brown

Summer supplemental signing, games: 1, contract status: out-of-contract

The first ex-Collingwood player signed by Adelaide over summer, Brown has played one game for the Crows, subbed on in round 1. The former father-son Magpie played 27 games with his first club but faces doubt about his future.

Mark Keane

Summer supplemental signing, games: 2, contract status: out-of-contract (!!!)

The Irishman is right in the frame to be part of Adelaide’s late-season surge towards the top-eight, with Tom Doedee, Jordon Butts and Nick Murray all injured. His last-minute recruitment seems a masterstroke all of a sudden.

I am more than comfortable with our forward line set up for once Tex finishes up. Fog and TT will both be very good forwards, add in Rankine and Rachele as the smalls and then Gollant/Welsh as the 3rd talls and that makes a very dynamic forward line.

We will never be able to replace Tex like for like, but our forward line will adapt to life post Tex and Fog and TT will step up once he is gone. Both seem to play better when Tex is not there anyway, as it stands he would be getting the majority of our forward entries directed at him.

First showdown this year.

No Fog
Walker only goalless game of the year

Thilthorpe kicked 5
Rankine 4
Pedlar 3

Plenty of firepower up there

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can’t back TT or Fog to be able to handle the best defenders in 2-3 years time, nor one of Gollant or Welsh to develop into a solid third tall, we may as well pack up shop. Deal with it if it comes to be but I’d rather address our immediate holes.
exactly, our forward line contains the following picks:

Pick 2 - TT
Pick 3 - Rankine
Pick 6 - Rachele
Pick 11 - Pedlar
Pick 12 - The Fog

Rarely, if ever, have we seen so much draft collateral invested into the forward half of a team. All are excellent kicks and I believe our poor conversion this year will not be systemic - its an outlier. In fact, I forecast us winning finals in the future kicking 16 goals 6 points (that was part of my yummy dream from a few mths ago)

As a NSW scholarship pick Tex pick 70 ish is not relevant.

Here is a run down on every draftee and every summer signing, their progress this year and where their contract sits.

ADELAIDE​

Max Michalanney

A home-run father-son pick for Adelaide, Michalanney has slotted in perfectly into defence for the Crows and looks like a 200-gamer. Appropriately, the Crows extended him long-term in June.

Billy Dowling

A foot injury curtailed Dowling’s pre-season and he hasn’t featured yet at AFL level.

Hugh Bond

No debut yet for the Victorian, who has struggled to put up numbers in the SANFL.

Tyler Brown

The first ex-Collingwood player signed by Adelaide over summer, Brown has played one game for the Crows, subbed on in round 1. The former father-son Magpie played 27 games with his first club but faces doubt about his future.

Mark Keane

The Irishman is right in the frame to be part of Adelaide’s late-season surge towards the top-eight, with Tom Doedee, Jordon Butts and Nick Murray all injured. His last-minute recruitment seems a masterstroke all of a sudden.
Keane has re-signed..

And its a bit rough on Bond.. given he missed a lot of the year through injury..

ADELAIDE​

Max Michalanney

Billy Dowling

Hugh Bond

Tyler Brown

Mark Keane

Given that 2 out of the 5 Adelaide contract status' are incorrect (Dowling and Keane both signed for 2 more years), I stopped reading the article at this point.

Given that 2 out of the 5 Adelaide contract status' are incorrect (Dowling and Keane both signed for 2 more years), I stopped reading the article at this point.
Good call. I had picked up the Keane one as you can see but forgot Dowling had also extended. It is a joke really that basic facts arent correct from one of the biggest media companies in the world (I have previously contacted the Editors pointing out 3-5 grammar and typos in HEADLINE articles that were then quickly corrected). Perhaps poor old Rupert has his energy drained in other ways..

Every team has weaknesses and role players. We are getting complemented for our toughness, our aerial presence has gone from non existent to being a strength and nearly all our players can kick well. Our defence is so exciting and young. We just need cream, cream and cream. Three A Graders and with our excellent home ground advantage we will be in serious business. I have no doubt. It’s time to pay up and think big. Draft is easier for SA teams but we got Hinge for free right?

ADELAIDE​

Max Michalanney

Billy Dowling

Hugh Bond

Tyler Brown

Mark Keane

With the exception of Brown, we’ve done a pretty good job here. Looking forward to seeing how Dowling and Bond develop with another pre-season under their belt.

Max at 17 is an absolute bargain, only Ashcroft and Sheezel ahead of him at this stage (and Sheezel is debatable).

With the exception of Brown, we’ve done a pretty good job here. Looking forward to seeing how Dowling and Bond develop with another pre-season under their belt.

Max at 17 is an absolute bargain, only Ashcroft and Sheezel ahead of him at this stage (and Sheezel is debatable).
Sheezel is not debatable in any way shape or form. He will be an absolute A grader

Per David Zita

Tom Doedee (Adelaide Crows)

Brisbane has been one of the clubs interested in Doedee, but industry figures believe there’s been a shift in recent times, with the 26-year-old now more likely to stay put at West Lakes
Who the hell are we getting rid of, then

Per David Zita

Who the hell are we getting rid of, then

I don’t think we have anyone coming in, suggests we will either trade up or trade out of this draft. Have two rookies to upgrade?

We may not enjoy this off season on here as possibly lose a McAdam but with no one coming back in

And if we do sign Sloane as seems likely…..

I don’t think we have anyone coming in, suggests we will either trade up or trade out of this draft. Have two rookies to upgrade?

We may not enjoy this off season on here as possibly lose a McAdam but with no one coming back in

And if we do sign Sloane as seems likely…..

If we don't trade in anyone to improve us and we trade out of this draft- that would be a shocking waste of an off season when we may have Tex for one more year and we need one or 2 more A Grade mids - whether by draft or trade. I see it as outright negligent to rely on 'organic growth' only with where we are at

If we don't trade in anyone to improve us and we trade out of this draft- that would be a shocking waste of an off season when we may have Tex for one more year and we need one or 2 more A Grade mids - whether by draft or trade. I see it as outright negligent to rely on 'organic growth' only with where we are at
i've no doubt weve had a crack but seemingly missed out.

We know Redman, strong rumours we went very hard at Day even before his breakout had kicked right into gear and id also think Wanganeen-milera (unless we were all in on day + Redman at that point) and possibly even Pickett.

If we did miss out after 2 years of nailing top end trade targets I dont think thats negligent.

And if the pivot is to decide that we are better off putting all our cards in next years trade/draft/FA market (through rolling over the cap space we couldnt lure with and strengthening our draft hand instead of bringing in something we dont think helps us go the next level then thats patient/crafty list management not negligent.

Most likely is we go to the draft but also retain that cap space and go hard in the trade/FA market next year.

Remember we havent entered our window and wed hope to be in it for a long time after right now so a 1 year delay in list progression if it means what we actuall bring in can still have us in a better position in say 3-4yrs time than panicking to just bring in the best thats available now will.

I don't think negligence has anything to do with it. We have clearly been trying hard to emulate the last two years of trading, but perhaps have been unsuccessful this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back