List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might have been born in SA but played his footy in Wadonga via the Auskick program before boarding i and schooling in Melbourne/Caulfield Grammar. and playing for the Murray Bushies and Vic Country.
Who cares.

We don’t need to limit ourselves to SA born players and I think he’s gettable

HH and NWM combo would be great. Still like the idea of going for Cox in ‘24 instead and giving Butts/Murray time to develop, plus if Doedee leaves you get an extra pick out of it (rather than it being cancelled out by HH)
Himmelberg would be a great get ....although, do we want to give up another 1st round pick in a supposed strong 2023 Draft .....we definitely need to go to the Draft this year .....still need a Mid & KPD

Do we really need NWM ...or is he more of a "want" by supporters ? ....our Wing roles are very well covered already

What do you think NWM would cost, Draft Pick wise ?

Himmelberg would be a great get ....although, do we want to give up another 1st round pick in a supposed strong 2023 Draft .....we definitely need to go to the Draft this year .....still need a Mid & KPD

Do we really need NWM ...or is he more of a "want" by supporters ? ....our Wing roles are very well covered already

I just can’t see him costing our first, under any circumstances. Unless he absolutely kills it from a development perspective, this year

NM 2nd + a pick downgrade I can see happening as an absolute maximum price

Would love for NWM to turn into a Burgoyne-type player for us - can play in all three parts of the ground, providing silky skills. Weirdly enough I was super low on him in his draft year, but I’m pretty high on him after seeing his rookie year development

If you go after Cox in ‘24 and NWM in ‘23, you likely keep a first (and if Doedee leaves, a second) in this year’s draft for the high level mid that we need

3 players to target over this yearand next are 2023 Harry Himmelberg if he is a free agent?, then in 2024 Cox as a free agent and throw the sink at Hollands up on GC. Still allows us to grab a top 10 kid in this years draft too

3 players to target over this yearand next are 2023 Harry Himmelberg if he is a free agent?, then in 2024 Cox as a free agent and throw the sink at Hollands up on GC. Still allows us to grab a top 10 kid in this years draft too
Gotta say this makes sense, as all three players would satisfy needs .....I'm not sure NWM is a real need, from a list structure perspective ....I understand, nice to have though

Who are our wings? Hinge and who else?

Himmelberg is a free agent isn’t he?

I don't think I need to list all the WING players .....you're a big boy now
Fair to say I don't trust Jones or Sholl. Cook and Dowling maybe, but they've still got a way to go in their development

At this point in time, NWM is a better prospect than all of them

Fair to say I don't trust Jones or Sholl. Cook and Dowling maybe, but they've still got a way to go in their development

Still think Cook will come good ....Nank, Hinge, Worrell ? ...that's some tall marking WING options

IMO we have the WING role covered ....as we do with the HBF role

I don't think I need to list all the WING players .....you're a big boy now

Himmelberg is a Restricted Free Agent .....with all the big Contracts at GWS, you'd think they would have trouble matching an offer on Harry

View attachment 1606654

Sholl out of favour, Jones big ???, Dawson playing defence, Cook still needs development and ??, Nankervis still a baby, Sloane done.

There’s lots of ifs there, so if you’re bringing in what could be a high quality wing, you’d do it

Who cares.

We don’t need to limit ourselves to SA born players and I think he’s gettable
Exactly how is he gettable?
Didn't he willingly sign a contract extension until 2024 and nothing I've seen her heard indicates he wants out.
Get back to me mid 2024 if he hasn't inked another deal by then. Until then.

Still think Cook will come good ....Nank, Hinge, Worrell ? ...that's some tall marking WING options

IMO we have the WING role covered ....as we do with the HBF role
Hinge already should have one wing covered. Nank maybe, could end up in any part of the ground. Still think Worrell's future is in defence

Point is, there's a difference between having a position covered in quantity, and in quality. I'm not saying our young wings aren't quality, but they're mostly still unproven at the highest level, whereas NWM has not only shown a lot of promise at senior level already, but also has the benefit of versatility

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinge already should have one wing covered. Nank maybe, could end up in any part of the ground. Still think Worrell's future is in defence

Point is, there's a difference between having a position covered in quantity, and in quality. I'm not saying our young wings aren't quality, but they're mostly still unproven at the highest level, whereas NWM has not only shown a lot of promise at senior level already, but also has the benefit of versatility
You're putting NWM over the guys I listed, based on one season ....and he's proven ?

I agree, NWM has real talent .....but there's a tendency to mark our own players too harshly & revere opposition players, without the same analytical microscope

I'll stick with the "not a need" position ;)

You're putting NWM over the guys I listed, based on one season ....and he's proven ?

I agree, NWM has real talent .....but there's a tendency to mark our own players too harshly & revere opposition players, without the same analytical microscope

I'll stick with the "not a need" position ;)
Never said 'proven', although NWM has shown more at AFL level in his one season than any of our first or second-year wings have... and still has a lot of time on his side to become a real high-quality player, which is looking unlikely for Jones/Sholl

Agree to disagree, though

I'd rather run rankine and bring through nankervis as the other wing and spend our cap on another kpd (Himmelberg / Cox) and a guy like hollands next year. Nankervis looks very promising and getting NWM might deny nankervis a chance. We have guys already on the list that can play wing

Sholl out of favour, Jones big ???, Dawson playing defence, Cook still needs development and ??, Nankervis still a baby, Sloane done.

There’s lots of ifs there, so if you’re bringing in what could be a high quality wing, you’d do it
You are right but there are enough guys already on the list we can run there. Lets spend the cap on real positions of need like a KPD who is available as an RFA

Didn't he willingly sign a contract extension until 2024 and nothing I've seen her heard indicates he wants out.
Don't know but lets not die wondering. He is a guy that has a skillset we need and who knows, a large enough offer might turn his head to play for the team he grew up supporting

Never said 'proven', although NWM has shown more at AFL level in his one season than any of our first or second-year wings have... and still has a lot of time on his side to become a real high-quality player, which is looking unlikely for Jones/Sholl

Agree to disagree, though
So it’s just not me Wayne represents 🤔

Didn't Rankine willingly re-sign with gc once too?
By 2024, Hollands will have 4 years at gc, same as Rankine, don't see how that makes him un-gettable.

Why is Himmelberg gettable? Hollands isn't really any different to other trade targets we have.

Didn't Rankine willingly re-sign with gc once too?
By 2024, Hollands will have 4 years at gc, same as Rankine, don't see how that makes him un-gettable.

Why is Himmelberg gettable? Hollands isn't really any different to other trade targets we have.
Himmelberg at least makes some sense given his RFA status, a contracted (2024) Hollands not so much.

He becomes somewhat gettable in 2024 if he hasn't re-signed by mid season or even later the same as Rankine.

Then again Carlton might interest him now if he wants out.

Himmelberg at least makes some sense given his RFA status, a contracted (2024) Hollands not so much.

He becomes somewhat gettable in 2024 if he hasn't re-signed by mid season or even later the same as Rankine.

Then again Carlton might interest him now if he wants out.
From getting the best bang for your buck out of our draft picks, makes sense waiting for them to come out of contract.

Personally, I’d go early on Holland’s. Depending on his trajectory, I’d pay 2 first round picks to pry him loose.

A lot of ifs that should be answered this year. If so, then the benefit of adding a high quality wing would not necessarily match the cost to do so.

IMO the outlook on our list will look completely different at the end of this season as to what it does today.

Are you deleting all the others at the same time?

Hinge, Dawson, Jones, Nankervis, Cook - there's a LOT of tall mid types taking list spots. Is it smart to be spending draft capital bringing more in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back