List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
Wooooo easy there big fella.

JT is a good talent, he ain't got s**t on Fogarty though.

Fogarty will be a free agent in two seasons and I think people will still look to him for the emergence of great potential.

Similar to Zac Fisher being called a young player yesterday, seven years into his career.

Fogarty has had three good seasons in a row. That's very good, but before that he was drifting into bust territory considering what they invested into getting him.

Fogarty is two years older and while he's threatened to be something special, he's still not putting it all together yet. "Only" 34 goals this year and he doesnt provide much outside kicking goals. I think Treacy can and will be a bigger positive by the same age

He's three years older than Josh, twenty one to twenty four.

I know this is clickbait, but here are the stats.

We are currently ranked the No 3 defensive team in the AFL

View attachment 1788286

We are also:
13th ranked offensive team in the AFL
14th for SS/in 50
14th for offensive 1on1s
14th for Marks inside 50

It's clear why we finished 14th.

The midfield isn't moving the ball well, yes.

I know this is clickbait, but here are the stats.

We are currently ranked the No 3 defensive team in the AFL

View attachment 1788286

We are also:
13th ranked offensive team in the AFL
14th for SS/in 50
14th for offense 1on1s
14th for Marks inside 50

It's clear why we finished 14th.
I guess, in my thinking, I'm making a delineation between game style and the age profile of the players compared to the list management issues we face.

Up forward, I'm quite comfortable with Amiss, Dogga, Treacy, Sturt, Emmett and Shooter developing together over the next 3-5 years. I think that is a forward line that is skillful, hard, and diverse enough to work. We could do with an injection of pace, but that's the case across the lines for us.

Compare that with down back and I have more questions than answers. The only players who are plug and play are Cox, Ryan and Clark. Pearce has some questions. Chapman has some questions. Wagner is fresh. Walker is still raw (but I am a fan). Hamling is almost done. If we need some bolstering to happen, it's down there.

Our Scoring record is largely due to the way we played early in the season and relatively young age profile of our forwards. I see an insane amount of organic growth happening in our forward line, but nowhere near as much in our backline.

I guess, in my thinking, I'm making a delineation between game style and the age profile of the players compared to the list management issues we face.

Up forward, I'm quite comfortable with Amiss, Dogga, Treacy, Sturt, Emmett and Shooter developing together over the next 3-5 years. I think that is a forward line that is skillful, hard, and diverse enough to work. We could do with an injection of pace, but that's the case across the lines for us.

Compare that with down back and I have more questions than answers. The only players who are plug and play are Cox, Ryan and Clark. Pearce has some questions. Chapman has some questions. Wagner is fresh. Walker is still raw (but I am a fan). Hamling is almost done. If we need some bolstering to happen, it's down there.

Our Scoring record is largely due to the way we played early in the season and relatively young age profile of our forwards. I see an insane amount of organic growth happening in our forward line, but nowhere near as much in our backline.
I can see your point, but none of that bears out in the stats or the depth at Peel.

I'll give you an example. Lets say Pearce AND Cox get injured. Hamling, Davies, Draper, Chapman, even Ryan can do that role.

Now, lets say it's Amiss.... holy mother of all things Pavlich. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

End. Of. Season.

Disagree, he’s got a tank, can pinch hit in the ruck and has an equally long kick. I think he’ll be better than Darcy Fogarty.
Interesting they are both the same height, weight and Fogarty is a couple of years older. Many people reckon Fogarty is the best set shot in the AFL. I reckon he has a few more strings to his bow than Josh.

You couldn't be more wrong.

No 1 for Disp Eff
No 2 for Kick Eff
No 3 for Marks on Lead

That's silver service.

View attachment 1788298

Our game plan is very weird.

Its either chip, chip, chip which results in No 3 being where it is or its kick it long which is why No 1 and No2 are where they are.

You couldn't be more wrong.

No 1 for Disp Eff
No 2 for Kick Eff
No 3 for Marks on Lead

That's silver service.

View attachment 1788298
Is that specifically midfield players because if not, it's about the most misleading quoting of stats I've ever seen

Is that specifically midfield players because if not, it's about the most misleading quoting of stats I've ever seen
Mark on Lead obviously not. Can't remember Brayshaw and Serong at a ball up suddenly breaking into a long a lead. hahahahaaaa

If you can't see a relationship between kicking efficiency and marks on lead I don't know what to tell you.

Brayshaw and Serong do a lot of (unnecessary in my opinion) one-twos to each other via handball in midfield so it’s no surprise they are 1 and 2 in the afl for disposals.

To add to the Treacy love, his field kicking might genuinely be as good as Tex. He's turning into a fantastic "role playing" key forward. I struggle to think of a comparison because I doubt he ever kicks many more than 40 but the net positive he's bringing is more than that. Not the least because you dont have the diminishing returns I think you get having two number 1 KPFs like Blues have with McKay and Curnow
I would be happy with his ceiling being 30 goals because of all the other assets he has. If he can get to 40 alongside Amiss than our forwardline will be unstoppable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark on Lead obviously not. Can't remember Brayshaw and Serong at a ball up suddenly breaking into a long a lead. hahahahaaaa

If you can't see a relationship between kicking efficiency and marks on lead I don't know what to tell you.
Have you watched our games? That efficiency is basically emblematic of our issues. Overly stagnant and too safe rather than moving the ball quicker that might reduce overall efficiency but increase scoring. Marks on lead being so high is also going to be a symptom of this (we need more chaos) and/or a tribute to the forwards, not an indication they suck

Brayshaw takes most of his marks on leads around the ground

Sam Walsh is the other comparable player in the AFL who does this

Fremantle should make a big move with Sean Darcy this off-season. Either sign him for seven seasons or trade him for overs. I prefer the contract extension route.
I bet you Darcy won't re-sign this off season. I think he is genuinely considering his options but obviously loves the team. If we underperform next season and JLo gets sacked, chances are he will leave.

I thought a lot of our handball was very constructive this week for a change. Especially the Switta, Brayshaw, Emmett, Johnson thing we had going.
Noticed they seemed to be working the triangle to create space.

I thought a lot of our handball was very constructive this week for a change. Especially the Switta, Brayshaw, Emmett, Johnson thing we had going.
I think there were some really good creative ones forward into space. Cox's to Henry was fantastic and even Pearce had one on the wing/flank that really helped us move forward.

I also think like Dockeroo that that level of handballing will come unstuck in a higher pressure environment but more games into the guys should help that as well

I think there were some really good creative ones forward into space. Cox's to Henry was fantastic and even Pearce had one on the wing/flank that really helped us move forward.

I also think like Dockeroo that that level of handballing will come unstuck in a higher pressure environment but more games into the guys should help that as well
We looked a lot slicker and more efficient. Just not sure whether it was because of lesser pressure or extra practice during the week. Guess we will find out next season.

I bet you Darcy won't re-sign this off season. I think he is genuinely considering his options but obviously loves the team. If we underperform next season and JLo gets sacked, chances are he will leave.
Latest I've heard (think it was mitch clearly?) was supposedly from Sean's camp, saying that they are in talks for a long term contract extension. Sounds like everyone is on the same page.

I can see your point, but none of that bears out in the stats or the depth at Peel.

I'll give you an example. Lets say Pearce AND Cox get injured. Hamling, Davies, Draper, Chapman, even Ryan can do that role.

Now, lets say it's Amiss.... holy mother of all things Pavlich. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

End. Of. Season.
Agreed re depth. We've only just started to build that forward line out, whereas we've been drafting defenders since Adam ate Eve.

Have you watched our games? That efficiency is basically emblematic of our issues. Overly stagnant and too safe rather than moving the ball quicker that might reduce overall efficiency but increase scoring. Marks on lead being so high is also going to be a symptom of this (we need more chaos) and/or a tribute to the forwards, not an indication they suck
Yes. I watch our games. I like to see if the eye-test is reflected in stats. It's an imperfect science, I know.

I haven't said the forwards suck. Maybe my point is being misunderstood.

Let's come at it from a different angle.

Below is the game V Port. Freo won the Inside 50s 46 to 40. I've circled where we could have won the game if we were better in that area.

thumbnail_image0000001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back