List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I do remember that software thing, some sort of list management tool. SOS had his own blind spots like leg speed and very heavy on the A.P.S boys, you obviously want the net as wide as possible.
Yeah i remember the talk about the software to help with list management. Ive been wondering since if something similar is used by other clubs as well. It certainly doesn't appear like its been very useful in our case does it? Lots of draftees haven't come on and we seem to be maxed out in terms of salary cap if what we are hearing is true.

At the end of the day a software tool is only as good as the information you enter into it I guess. You'd also have to consider the way the game is played and that has been in transition over the last 5 or so years to a more fast pace game style.

I think they need to sit around the table and work on a checklist or algorithm for recruiting. Too often we look for one or 2 qualities but don't tick the other boxes. Decision making, kicking, competitive, leg speed, clean hands, marking for potential forwards. Take Gresham as an example, or Acres - ticks a few boxes but not great kicks. The damage factor is limited by this.
If players like Acres and Gresham were great kicks we wouldn’t be discussing them because we wouldn’t be able to afford them.
I think they would look at playing LOB and Fisher or Acres and Gresham and think it’s been a win. The other thing you could do is play one of a LOB or Fisher type and recruit a star for the other spot.

If players like Acres and Gresham were great kicks we wouldn’t be discussing them because we wouldn’t be able to afford them.
I think they would look at playing LOB and Fisher or Acres and Gresham and think it’s been a win. The other thing you could do is play one of a LOB or Fisher type and recruit a star for the other

I'm more interested in sharpening up our recruiting protocol mostly. The reason we can get Gresham is because his kicking would turn a lot of clubs away, but not ours apparently.

All this discussion about players like Fisher/Martin/Marchbank/Cunners/Philp/Martin/LOB..etc..and talk that we should not trade/delist them if the "draft picks are worthless" or "in case he gets his body right". This misses one point. Having these players on our list means we dont often have space to pick 1 or 2 from the second tier.

I see so much value in having spots open for Pre Season/Mid Season draft, to use on relevant WAFL/SANFL/VFL players. Jack Buller debuting for the Swans will be an intersting watch along with Maric for WC. I am not saying we need Buller/Maric, but I refuse to believe we cant find one single player amongst the entire second tier that cannot fill a hole we need. The players must be there and better having even 1 spot for mid season than having it wasted on someone we play every 6 weeks and we regret selecting.

I've probably missed this, but Camporeale's boys are in next year's draft. One is touted as a first round pick, so would we not potentially trade next year's first to get another first this year?

I've probably missed this, but Camporeale's boys are in next year's draft. One is touted as a first round pick, so would we not potentially trade next year's first to get another first this year?

Depends on whether we think a bid would come in for one of the boys before our pick.

But yes, this is absolutely a way we can use the looming F/S situation to our advantage and trade into this year's draft.

If we have a season anything like this years he would be a pick after our first. We are better off trading out next year once we know how we finish.

Austin is Curly Austins kid isnt he?

I'm not convinced on Austin at all. I am all for a change in this space as well, and clean out of recruitment team

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
I doubt Austin is going anywhere.

Agree though - I'm not 100% convinced with Brodie and Agresta as our recruiting officers. Interesting they brought Glenn Luff in earlier this year to assist in recruiting...reportedly only watching one under-18 Talent League game each weekend, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't being utilised more.

If we have a season anything like this years he would be a pick after our first. We are better off trading out next year once we know how we finish.
If we finish bottom 6, we should get a favourable draw next year. If we bounce back it could be beneficial to use the perceived value of next year's pick to have 2 inside the top 10 this year.

All this discussion about players like Fisher/Martin/Marchbank/Cunners/Philp/Martin/LOB..etc..and talk that we should not trade/delist them if the "draft picks are worthless" or "in case he gets his body right". This misses one point. Having these players on our list means we dont often have space to pick 1 or 2 from the second tier.

I see so much value in having spots open for Pre Season/Mid Season draft, to use on relevant WAFL/SANFL/VFL players. Jack Buller debuting for the Swans will be an intersting watch along with Maric for WC. I am not saying we need Buller/Maric, but I refuse to believe we cant find one single player amongst the entire second tier that cannot fill a hole we need. The players must be there and better having even 1 spot for mid season than having it wasted on someone we play every 6 weeks and we regret selecting.
Absolutely right.

It's the flexibility of the list, to open list spaces and to be able to allocate resources differently that is more important than the picks we receive. See hawthorn example.

I doubt Austin is going anywhere.

Agree though - I'm not 100% convinced with Brodie and Agresta as our recruiting officers. Interesting they brought Glenn Luff in earlier this year to assist in recruiting...reportedly only watching one under-18 Talent League game each weekend, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't being utilised more.
Missed the luff news, where was that reported?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much has changed over the last 3-4 years apart from having a better balance of spine players?

• More speed
  • Better footskills
  • More mongrel
Enough free agents to have a crack at

Gresham, McKenzie, Flynn (if TDK wants out), etc. Plus a fair number of OOC that we can help address needs

15 changes to the list? Nah, standard 8-10 max

The one thing people haven't agreed with me on. We need a full time goal kicking coach. Would you agree? It's THE most important part of forward craft, yet we leave it up the individual to muddle their way through.

That would need to be part of the forward coach's skill set I would imagine. That way, if we convert, a lot of our problems dissipate.

Himmelberg if he can be secured without selling the entire farm.

Get him, say goodbye to Guv.....

Serious swingman.

The guy we hoped Guv would be....

he is very good but no world beater (least to the point that would make us instant contenders)

Pass from me.

Let's build from the draft and try clear cap space in the next couple of years l

As much as I think Harley is a gun I’d rather we get ourselves in a position to have 3 picks in the top 20 and get Watson, Caddy and Philactides than blow it all to get Harley.
Caddy (based on his games for our VFL team) is exactly the player we need, expected to be top 5ish.

3rd forward who can mark, kick goals but is pretty quick for his height.

Depends on whether we think a bid would come in for one of the boys before our pick.

But yes, this is absolutely a way we can use the looming F/S situation to our advantage and trade into this year's draft.
Unless it’s a top 3 pick we swap for a pick in the teens there are risks

Please excuse the intrusion, but I've started seeing the Cats linked to Paddy Dow as a sort of plug-and-play midfielder we might add for basically 'nothing'. So I would be curious to know:

* Exactly what is the knock on Dow? I keep hearing "He kills VFL, just can't hack AFL" stuff, but what specifically is the problem? Speed? Hardness? Too one-dimensional?

* Seems some Blues fans feel Dow is being treated poorly and that a few of their existing 22 should be missing out before him. Is there attitude or fitness type issues that are going on with him, that would lead the coaching staff to ignore him?

* What position do you feel is his best position?

* I guess just any general other comments about his perceived strengths and weaknesses, and why Carlton aren't playing him despite struggling so far in 2023.

Please excuse the intrusion, but I've started seeing the Cats linked to Paddy Dow as a sort of plug-and-play midfielder we might add for basically 'nothing'. So I would be curious to know:

* Exactly what is the knock on Dow? I keep hearing "He kills VFL, just can't hack AFL" stuff, but what specifically is the problem? Speed? Hardness? Too one-dimensional?

* Seems some Blues fans feel Dow is being treated poorly and that a few of their existing 22 should be missing out before him. Is there attitude or fitness type issues that are going on with him, that would lead the coaching staff to ignore him?

* What position do you feel is his best position?

* I guess just any general other comments about his perceived strengths and weaknesses, and why Carlton aren't playing him despite struggling so far in 2023.
Hi MM hope you enjoy your visit. Two words, defensive running. I’m sure others would like to pile in at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back