List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruckman yes. Midfielders, would like more with speed and can push forward and kick goals (easier said than done)
How can you be confident with our ruck stocks? Pitto injured a lot and offers below average around ground. Tdk mostly still potential at this stage.

Agree on mids but it seems our list management/cap is out of balance and we are unlikely to afford a good quality mid…that can kick goals.

How can you be confident with our ruck stocks? Pitto injured a lot and offers below average around ground. Tdk mostly still potential at this stage.

Agree on mids but it seems our list management/cap is out of balance and we are unlikely to afford a good quality mid…that can kick goals.

I think we need to hit the draft to find those type of gun midfielders, we have gone to the well trading out first and other valuable picks to try fill needs in our list (Saad, Cerra etc)
Port did that a few years ago and it's now paying massive dividends (Rozee and Butters)

Not so much concerned about the ruck situation, plenty of decent back ups at other clubs that could be traded for cheaply or even look at state league types.

We don't want to do what North did and pay overs for an average ruck in CCJ.

Irrespective of Tippet scenario, Hope Austin & team are more astute & bold and walk whomever were interested in to the PSD too.
We need to brazen, create our own luck, advantage wherever we can.
Enough constrained and conservative , politically correct demeanor.
We’ve much to do and way behind the quality top 6 teams .
We need to clear space for fresh & durable talent wherever possible it will be 2/3 seasons process but must begin ASAP. Go Blues !!!! , Loosen those shackles.

Irrespective of Tippet scenario, Hope Austin & team are more astute & bold and walk whomever were interested in to the PSD too.
We need to clear space for fresh & durable talent wherever possible it will be 2/3 seasons process but must begin ASAP. Go Blues !!!! , Loosen those shackles.

Problem with that strategy is that it makes clubs more hesitant to deal with in future.

There isn't really anyone good OOC this year that is worth walking through into the PSD anyway (least that would last to our pick there)

Problem with that strategy is that it makes clubs more hesitant to deal with in future.
Not sure there's any proof to this. Clubs continually deal with * who are known to low ball and be notoriously hard to deal with. Plus we ended up getting Martin...

Trades currently come down to a player choosing a club and then the clubs talking. I'm not sure it really makes a club not want to deal with another club if one club held firm on what they believed is a fair and reasonable offer.

It's more the player agent that could potentially swing a players mind, but really they are paid to give advice, not make a decision.

I can’t see how we could target a ready made mid without giving Dow a few games.
We would be burning draft capital & $ (both of which we don’t have) when a possible solution is currently on the books. If he fails & we need depth, then go for it.
We definitely need another ruck option- I really hope it isn’t Darcy (way too expensive & to immobile around the ground). I’d take a punt on someone like Nick Bryan from *. Wouldn’t cost a lot, out of contract, looks like he could end up being pretty good

We've got a dozen list cloggers to move on, two best 22 players likely to go (TDK & McGovern) and have 10ish spots in our best 22 still up for grabs. Austin can't fix this list in a single trade period - he's going to need 3 years to rectify this list if he's still around then.

Immediate priorities are clearly a backup ruckman, a medium sized marking forward, and midfield pace. But the biggest question is when does Carlton realistically think it will contend for premierships?

If it's not in the next 3 years then you need to at least ask the question of anyone currently on the list who is 28 or older - Newman, Docherty, Saad, Williams, McGovern, Martin & Cripps.

If the club wants to be competitive now then top the list up. But I think the path to a flag lies in a teardown mini-rebuild.

We lose DeKoning we are going to be in a really bad position ruck wise. Pittonet struggles to stay on the park, Mirkov IMO is not and will never be an AFL ruckman, O'Keeffe is looming as a good solid journeyman ruck but is a while away from playing AFL. Even DeKoning himself has struggled to stay on the park. Whether we lose him or not we need a reset with our ruck stocks. Pitto Is locked in, we are carrying two who are not AFL ready, can't do that, we need 3 on the list who can play AFL to some level.

Quite simply we need draft picks. That third tall forward who can ruck is something we desperately need. Lemmy looks miles away although he was recruited for this role. DeKoning is just starting to show signs he's getting there, he's in his 6th season so just goes to show you how long it takes these guys to develop.

We haven't drafted too badly the last few seasons. Need to keep going down the pace, tackling, kicking track.

Still think our trade outs need to be Silvagni, O'Brien, Plowman, Marchbank, Fisher and Hewett. Unfortunately there's a few there you could not give away and a few who may net 3-4th round picks at best but for where we are those are valuable. I think Austin has done a fair job recruiting so he needs to be given opportunity. DeKoning I think we are well within our rights to demand a pick in the 1st round if he choses to go.

The Dow situation is becoming an embarrassment. I've never seen a player dominate in the reserves at this club without the coach wanting to have a look at him at senior level. Keep saying we need another quick onballer because we are still too slow in there but we have one. We need to draft a player with the traits of Dow who isn't down so the coach will play him. It sounds crazy but that's on the money.

Half forwards look weak. Relying on Martin and Cuningham to stay fit and give us the pace and extra overhead power we need is asking a lot. Not having midfield rotations, for example forwards who can go into the middle for spurts to rest the mids is a big issue, not sure it's not poor coaching/development though.

Reality is we don't have the draft picks to cover all the areas of need. We probably need 5 or 6 picks in the draft and we have 3 and that includes a 5th rounder. Fisher, Silvagni, Hewett and DeKoning have trade value, they probably get us back in the game where we need to be. Problem is Silvagni still fills a need going forward and DeKoning would create a big best 22 hole we can't fill with junior talent.

Ideally would like to tidy up our ruck issues and forward ruck issues if we lose TDK as priority 1. Priority 2 is cleaning up some of the slow blokes for faster versions. Bring in some young developing forwards in the Jack Martin role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t see how we could target a ready made mid without giving Dow a few games.
We would be burning draft capital & $ (both of which we don’t have) when a possible solution is currently on the books. If he fails & we need depth, then go for it.
We definitely need another ruck option- I really hope it isn’t Darcy (way too expensive & to immobile around the ground). I’d take a punt on someone like Nick Bryan from *. Wouldn’t cost a lot, out of contract, looks like he could end up being pretty good
Cripps Walsh Cerra Kennedy and Hewett are our main stay mids. 3 of them are slow and one of our best can’t kick. I think sooner or later we will need a burst speed strong goal kicking type in the mix.

Have never understood why more teams, especially those at the bottom do not use the PSD to their advantage..

There isn't really anyone good OOC this year that is worth walking through into the PSD anyway (least that would last to our pick there)
Why.. we just acccept that Geelong can routinely pay unders for trades because they are a ‘destination club’ yet those clubs at the bottom are considered immoral by walking a player to the PSD. Everyone looks for ways clubs can rebuild quicker, well taking an out of contract player for free each year would certainly help fastrack this.

Thoughts on kemp being that dynamic strong mid? 1.92 m tall, strong, bit of zip and booming kick.

Can rotate him through mid and CHF and swing him back to where he currently plays when required.

Either way I think he is going to be one of our most valuable players in time.
We need him to be the mid size defender far more than we need another tall midfielder.

What did the Swans give up for Kurt Tippett, seems like a fair comparison.

Tippett unfairly maligned but he was a far better footballer as a 23yo, TDK could still improve and end up being a very good player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does it though? Makes clubs hesitant? I’ve always found this to be a myth, Dodo is a goose, yet clubs still deal with him, because they have to.

We need him to be the mid size defender far more than we need another tall midfielder.
Yeah…I didn’t mean right now.

atm we’ve got guv and young in that role with Marchy and durdin to possibly come back soon.

I’m hoping down the track kemp moves into a more attacking role. He can take cazaly’s and not many of our players provide much of that…tdk is another potential cazaly taker.

Thoughts on kemp being that dynamic strong mid? 1.92 m tall, strong, bit of zip and booming kick.

Can rotate him through mid and CHF and swing him back to where he currently plays when required.

Either way I think he is going to be one of our most valuable players in time.
Understand the rationale but I wouldnt, he's always shown more promise down back & is now carving out a role for himself in the senior side.
If we want to give him midfield minutes, have him push up from d50 as matchups allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back