List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Andrew Phillips compete so well for Essendon hours before we go to into a match relying on 'Jack Silvagni'/'Wishes and Prayers' as our designated ruckmen makes me reflect that whatever the club thinks is the right list management decision this season, it should probably do the exact opposite.

Watching Andrew Phillips compete so well for Essendon hours before we go to into a match relying on 'Jack Silvagni'/'Wishes and Prayers' as our designated ruckmen makes me reflect that whatever the club thinks is the right list management decision this season, it should probably do the exact opposite.

Really?

Up against Finlayson, Dixon, and a debutant who was tactically subbed out. Hes done okay but hardly set the world on fire. The Bombers have barely won the clearances.

We aren't missing Phillips. We are missing a true number one.

Only taken him till aged 32 to put a decent season together.

If I recall correctly, during that time, we essentially swapped an older, injury prone Phillips, for a younger durable Pitto

Always liked Phillips, but this is somewhat a hindsight call

Really?

Up against Finlayson, Dixon, and a debutant who was tactically subbed out. Hes done okay but hardly set the world on fire. The Bombers have barely won the clearances.

We aren't missing Phillips. We are missing a true number one.

He was the 8th highest rated player on the ground for the match? The point is he is was and is a really competent second ruck (and good clubman) and we gave him to a rival team for essentially nothing.

Meanwhile we have on our list a competent but often injured ruck (Pittonet), a forward/ruck who is objectively bad at both (De Koning), and two projects. So we are playing tomorrow with a medium sized forward and a young full back taking ruck duties. Madness...

If I recall correctly, during that time, we essentially swapped an older, injury prone Phillips, for a younger durable Pitto

Always liked Phillips, but this is somewhat a hindsight call

It's obviously a hindsight call.

I always liked Phillips though. He is big, tough, and competent both in the ruck and pushing forward. And i like Pittonet more than most here too - i think he is great value when fit.

But ruckmen get injured all the time - goes with the territory. And we make a huge number of decisions that are mistakes in hindsight. Thats all i was reflecting on...

He was the 8th highest rated player on the ground for the match? The point is he is was and is a really competent second ruck (and good clubman) and we gave him to a rival team for essentially nothing.

Meanwhile we have on our list a competent but often injured ruck (Pittonet), a forward/ruck who is objectively bad at both (De Koning), and two projects. So we are playing tomorrow with a medium sized forward and a young full back taking ruck duties. Madness...

Phillips left the club for opportunities at the end of 2019, when we had Pittonet, Kreuzer, TDK, Casboult and Jones on the list going into 2020.

Disappointing that TDK hasn’t come on as expected but he is a better player than Phillips. I don’t rate Mirkov but he would’ve been given a go if he weren’t going through his own health issues.

Ironically Port won the game tonight with Finlayson and Dixon sharing the ruck load against Phillips. I don’t think we’ve lost much.

I wonder what the story is with Mabior Chol? Kicked 44 goals last year as a FWD/2nd ruck.

GCS have Walter (KPF) and Read (Ruck/Fwd) coming in this draft through their academy and Moyle already developing in the VFL.

Not a stereotypical aerial threat but he has good smarts and impacts around the ground. Great beneath his knees for a 200cm lad.

I wonder what the story is with Mabior Chol? Kicked 44 goals last year as a FWD/2nd ruck.

GCS have Walter (KPF) and Read (Ruck/Fwd) coming in this draft through their academy and Moyle already developing in the VFL.

Not a stereotypical aerial threat but he has good smarts and impacts around the ground. Great beneath his knees for a 200cm lad.

Wanted him when he was a FA, but unlikely he moves back south given his family ties in QLD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enter the return of Ben King from last year’s absence.
GCFC had 3 AFL forwards kick 4 goals in the VFL last week with Chol, S.Day & Sexton while another chimed in with 5 goals (McLaughlin).

Fake trade but not a bad one
It's actually a very good trade scenario....one of those where everyone has a 'win'.

In summary:

Swans out: Hayden McLean, Pick 6, Pick 41
Swans in: Tom DeKoning, Future 2nd (WCE), Pick 69 (Carlton)

WCE out: Pick 1, Future 2nd
WCE in: Pick 4 (Carlton), Pick 6 (Sydney), Future 2nd Round Pick (Carlton), Pick 41 (Sydney), Pick 60 (Carlton)

Carlton out: Tom DeKoning, Pick 4, Pick 60, Pick 69, Future 2nd
Carlton in: Hayden McLean, Pick 1 (WCE)

Where do I sign up?

Phillips left the club for opportunities at the end of 2019, when we had Pittonet, Kreuzer, TDK, Casboult and Jones on the list going into 2020.

Disappointing that TDK hasn’t come on as expected but he is a better player than Phillips. I don’t rate Mirkov but he would’ve been given a go if he weren’t going through his own health issues.

Ironically Port won the game tonight with Finlayson and Dixon sharing the ruck load against Phillips. I don’t think we’ve lost much.
They would have won by at least 5 goals with a fit Lycett

It's actually a very good trade scenario....one of those where everyone has a 'win'.

In summary:

WCE in: Pick 4 (Carlton), Pick 6 (Sydney), Future 2nd Round Pick (Carlton), Pick 41 (Sydney), Pick 60 (Carlton)

Where do I sign up?

Do we then split #1 for 2 or 3 1st rounders?
Would prefer to get multiple high picks (but actually nail them) to smooth out the list with some exciting players.

JSOS getting games now purely as the third in line ruck behind Pitto and TDK. Hasn’t come on in his 100 games as a third forward. Any chance they could at least trial him in the backline because there’s certainly no permanent future as a back up ruck and failed forward.

Pitto is a solid average ruckman. Getting anything more than that in the off season will cost draft capital and money that we seemingly don’t have much of. I’ll take a solid average ruckman if they’re durable. But we’ll also need to invest in recruiting a second one if Mirkov’s health issues make it untenable.

Given games, Cowan and Binns will help to change the make up of our side and add some needed run. I also think Motlop and little Durds have the capacity to further grow and develop which means they will improve our forward line.

The ruck stock is becoming the most glaring hole and the priority to address.

In summary:

Where do I sign up?

Why would Sydney give up Hayden McLean AND pick 6 for De Koning? McLean on his own would be more than 'value' for TDK, and there is zero chance they give up pick 6 for him.

JSOS getting games now purely as the third in line ruck behind Pitto and TDK. Hasn’t come on in his 100 games as a third forward. Any chance they could at least trial him in the backline because there’s certainly no permanent future as a back up ruck and failed forward.
Not while there's a ruck gap due to injury and he's the only one capable of filling it.

This is what some people forget about JSOS. He's sacrificed his primary role as pure 3rd forward to plug a ruck gap for the sake of the team. And now he's being rewarded for that sacrifice with people writing him off in the role he doesn't gets to play any more.

I don't know how many games he's played in the last year and a half as a pure forward with 2 other rucks in the side. It wouldn't be many. But I have noticed several games this year where JSOS clearly looks at his best in the first quarter, i.e. before the ruck role starts catching up with him.

Maybe he wouldn't have come on in the last 18 months even if given the chance to play a pure forward role that whole time. But the fact is we'll never know.

Not while there's a ruck gap due to injury and he's the only one capable of filling it.

This is what some people forget about JSOS. He's sacrificed his primary role as pure 3rd forward to plug a ruck gap for the sake of the team. And now he's being rewarded for that sacrifice with people writing him off in the role he doesn't gets to play any more.

I don't know how many games he's played in the last year and a half as a pure forward with 2 other rucks in the side. It wouldn't be many. But I have noticed several games this year where JSOS clearly looks at his best in the first quarter, i.e. before the ruck role starts catching up with him.

Maybe he wouldn't have come on in the last 18 months even if given the chance to play a pure forward role that whole time. But the fact is we'll never know.
Except for today, marvellous effort that - kicked straight, kicked well around the ground & (mostly) held his marks. Unfort most of these traits have been missing in the majority of his games.

At this rate we will keep Fog. There's a good little player in there somewhere.
We’ve been so poor it’s brought us back to Fog.
Nothing against him but he is the bottom tier of afl standard.
Works hard, and a smart footballer (which somewhat makes up for lack of pace) & base skills are what u would expect for a listed player who has been in the system for years (ie hits lead ups well, marks, clean hands etc) but he is not a player that was improves a better than below avg side.
Handy to have for depth when u absolutely need it, but a good side doesn’t have small forward who can’t kick a goal from 45 & is very slow & small as a mid.

We’ve been so poor it’s brought us back to Fog.
Nothing against him but he is the bottom tier of afl standard.
Works hard, and a smart footballer (which somewhat makes up for lack of pace) & base skills are what u would expect for a listed player who has been in the system for years (ie hits lead ups well, marks, clean hands etc) but he is not a player that was improves a better than below avg side.
Handy to have for depth when u absolutely need it, but a good side doesn’t have small forward who can’t kick a goal from 45 & is very slow & small as a mid.
I think he’s been deserving of another chance in the 1s for a while, showed good vfl form all year. I have a feeling he might get delisted, kinda like what the did with Gibson. Gibson was alright in his last year but the club decided he didn’t quite have all the attributes they wanted.
If Fog can play the rest of the season like he did today, it will make it a hard decision for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back